Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can get copies of these books?- COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 5833 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where I can get copies of these books?- COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for copies of:

'Kingsley - the Story of a Cheshire Village' by W A Gibson & A W Waterworth, 1975.
Norley - a Village Alive"by Dr Gladys Archer, PhD
Times Past by Tom Wright and R.M.Bevan
Three Parishes" by Tom Wright

They seem to be out of print as far as I can see from Googling them apart from the last one, which is available via Abe Books but quite expensive for a 2nd hand paperback.  Has anyone any second hand copies they would like to part with.  I'm particularly interested in the first two books.

Many thanks
Lizzie

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where I can get copies of these books?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Try inter-library loan from your local public library. They may also be able to borrow them for you from the British Library at Boston Spa. The BL will also photocopy sections for you if you have specific pages in mind, within the limits of copyright law. Images can be delivered on paper or electronically.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I can try that for 3 of the books as they have ISB numbers, but as far as I can see Norley - a Village Alive"by Dr Gladys Archer, PhD was privately published.

Lizzie

ps.  Doing another Google search I see that Northwich library used to have a copy, so I'll try my library to see what they can do.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just a thought, do you know anyone who is a member of ebay, they could look for copies for you, I just signed on as a guest and had a quick look for Norley a village alive, but no luck.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jess

I use e-bay to send cash to USA as birthday/Christmas gifts to son and granddaughter.  I never buy from e-bay though, it just doesn't occur to me.

I've placed an inter-library order now so I'll see what happens.

Thanks for your help Jess and Graham.

Lizzie

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just did an ebay search for all of the books and came up with nothing, sorry :(
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Amazon have a listing for Three Parishes - it's not available at the moment but you can leave your email addy and they will notify you.

best of luck

Maria

P.S. If you google Gladys Archer it says that they have a book at the Cheshire West & Cheshire Libraries -  www.worldcat.org/title/norley-ill-bib/oclc/656066585
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.  I'm going to call this completed now.  I've placed an inter library order with my library (I can do that on-line) and will see what happens.

Lizzie

Offline Fiona Goodier

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where I can get copies of these books?- COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 September 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
I know this thread is a bit old but if you are still have the Norley A Village Alive book, Dr G Archer is a good friend of mine and I could easily get you a copy