Author Topic: Lovat Scouts in WW2  (Read 13632 times)

Offline jacurtis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lovat Scouts in WW2
« on: Wednesday 14 November 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »
My uncle Alec Proctor was with the Lovat Scouts during training in Canada and in Italy where he was killed August 12, 1944. Donald Mackenzie was with him when he fell wounded and stayed with him for hours until he died. My family would like to find any members of his family to pass along our hearfelt thanks for his kindness. I would also like to hear from anyone having relatives with the regiment during that time period.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Lovat Scouts in WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A long shot but you mind get some help here:

Lovat Scouts Regimental Association
Contact: LT Col G S Johnston OBE TD DL CA, Commerce House, South Street, Elgin, Moray IV30 1JE, Tel: 01343 547492, Fax: 01343 548896 

Nanny  Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacurtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 12 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I will.

Offline hummel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My name is Christopher Mackenzie,son of the Donald Mackenzie you mention. Ijust happened to find your site by chance while playing on my computer. I suspect you must have read my fathers memoirs to have found out about your uncles death.I first heard about this terrible incident when my father was interviewed on a Gaelic programme in the late 70s or early 80s, and I know it was something he struggled with. It is incredibly difficuilt for us to understand what hardship and horror all these brave men went through.
 Regards Chris Mackenzie

Offline jacurtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 December 12 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Chris. Our family wanted to give a long overdue thanks to your father for everything he did for Alec. We had been given a different account of the events and were relieved to finally learn the truth from your dad. It was difficult to read, but it has cleared up the misconceptions and given us some peace of mind. I'm truly sorry we didn't learn of this until after your father's passing. I would liked to have met this compassionate and caring man. None of us ever met Uncle Alec, but from the stories we grew up hearing I think he would be glad that we can give your father the thanks he so richly deserved. The Curtis family in Canada are in his debt.

Offline hummel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I just showed your mail to my mother, and she was thrilled and moved that you went to all this trouble to find our family to pass on your thanks.
For your information,the reason the two boys were shot at when they returned to their lines ,was a failure to tell the change of guard ,by the officer in charge, that they were out in front. This was something my father found hard to come to terms with.
There is a recording in the house of my father giving an interview in Gaelic about the incident.As far as I remember it was subtitled.If we can find it I will post the name and it may come up on Google
Cheers and thank you       Chris

Offline jacurtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I would be very interested in the tape of your father and would be very grateful if you could pass on the information. Even though your dad is gone I'm glad that you and your mother know how thankful Alec's family is.
Thanks again for your help.
Joan Curtis

Offline jacurtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Christopher,
I've shared your posts with my family members and they are very touched. My nephew Payton is interested in making a short documentary film about Uncle Alec and your father and would like to approach the National Film Board of Canada with the idea. He would like  to contact you for your permission to use your father's writings and is very much hoping you can add more to this undertaking perhaps in the form of pictures and other stories. My family considers your dad a true hero and would love to give him the credit he so richly deserves. Please contact me via email at: *  if you can help and I'll pass your info on to Payton. Thankyou in advance.
Joan(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Cyprus 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 August 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Mike O'neill not good with all this jargon. But my father served with Alec proctor and Donald mackenzie in Italy he is still alive and remembersee the incident well.he was only 20yrs old then .II'm going to take him back to Italy and Austria on a trip down memory lane so to speak. He trained in Canada as well. But vividly remembera Alec proctor