Author Topic: COMPLETED Is this a place in Devon? Is it Bodmin?  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a place in Devon? Is it Bodmin?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 November 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Terry. Does not look like Haytor to me. The path ascending to the left suggests that this is the popular access route and, with all due respect, the lady does not look like someone who would naturally seek out an adventurous route such as might be found around the back of Haytor.

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 November 12 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Not Haytor. There is no defined track around Haytor Rocks like that in the photo. I don't think it is Hounds Tor either.
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I think, what we have to bear in mind, is the age of the photo. It looks to me to be 1950's/60's. In the past fifty years tracks will have widened, narrowed, disappeared or appeared where they weren't back then ( if you get what I mean ???). Also a bit of erosion could have have taken place to this type of rock which doesn't look typically 'tor-like' - it looks to be more angular and has considerable grass covering well up it's height.
Wherever it is, it's a popular tourist location with easy access from the road (going by the clothing).
With this in mind it may not be Devon at all. I've been looking at photos of the Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley and, yes, when all is taken into account, it could be there.
But if it is Devon, how about - and I know it's a long shot - Brent Tor ie the large rock to the west of the rock that St.Michaels church stands on. You have to pass round it, in the same orientation as the rock in the photo, to join the path up to the church.The narrow track to the left is not used much now as there's a farm track providing easier walking. I believe the farm track is a more recent development. Also the rock material is more like that in the photo.
The picture I've attached is taken from too far along the track heading north and a better comparison would be achieved from maybe twenty yards south (to the right of shot). From there, the top looks flatter.
To be honest, it could be anywhere.......... ::) ::) ::)
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you look at the photo, there is some low ground between where the lady is standing and the rocks in the background, and I think she is looking upward at someother feature
I am sure it is the Valley of the Rocks, Lynton.
If you google for images there is one outcrop which is seen from different directions and this image which is  on tripadvisor.co.uk seems to be from the same angle but further away and higher up thus hiding the low ground between the camera and the rocks.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
By crikey, Stinton. I do believe you've found it. It's certainly the best contender so far. That particular rock is called Castle Rock and is certainly a very popular place, being very close to the road.
I found another pic here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1250421

Well done.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline SUSANHORTON

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow Stinton, you are a clever one, well done. Thanks also to One for the road for the other pic which confirms it. Thanks to everyone who contributed and got the investigation going.

You have all been so helpful.

Thank you
Sue
Halls, Horton, Wills, Quilter, Alvares/z Riley,