Author Topic: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?  (Read 9112 times)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 September 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
I have a family member who lived in Northumberland in 1901 and the census states that he was born in Baff, Scotland, which I take to be a spelling error and it is actually Banff, Scotland. 

My question is if someone says they were born in Banff, would this mean it was actually the town of Banff or could anyone tell me which other towns I could look at when seeking a birth, where in 1869 would be known as Banff (I mean neigbouring towns as I am not from the area).

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 September 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Based on your post, I  think I can see the family that you mean.
Lived in South Shields, Durham?

If this is the correct assumption, then something isn't right.
This is not a very common  last name anywhere in Banffshire

Only one birth in the entire county for this man's name between 1855 and 1946 !  ( Forglen)
This child also died within a year of birth, so not the man at 1901

Either your man was not born in Banff(shire) or he had a different birth name

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have a family member who lived in Northumberland in 1901 and the census states that he was born in Baff, Scotland, which I take to be a spelling error and it is actually Banff, Scotland. 

My question is if someone says they were born in Banff, would this mean it was actually the town of Banff or could anyone tell me which other towns I could look at when seeking a birth, where in 1869 would be known as Banff (I mean neigbouring towns as I am not from the area).
It could mean the burgh (town) of Banff, or the parish of Banff, or elsewhere in the county of Banff. There is no way of telling what the enumerator thought he was writing down in 1901.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 September 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
He is also showing Banff in 1911 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWCZ-CFN

What happened between 1901 when he showed married to Elizabeth and had a one year old son Alexander?

Have you been able to confirm his father's name from his marriage cert (assuming he married Elizabeth as in 1911 he is showing as single).

You may find that his birth reg may have been under the name Williamson. There are a few possibilities for him with that spelling variant such as this one https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYT7-GDW or this one https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY1M-FF8

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anne, your right something isn't right, I have tried for a couple of years now and researched every Williams in Banff to the extent of anyone in Scotland :)

Monica, I would love to know what happened to Elizabeth because I cant locate a marriage for him to Elizabeth and then cant find a child Alexandra  born in 1900, I am familiar with Northumberland/Durham but that hasn't helped, I am swayed to believe that they weren't married and like Anne mentioned about his birth "Something isn't right".
I definitely know he married in Northumberland in 1913 as a Bachelor (to my ggm), with a father named as John (deceased) but that hasn't helped either.
I think he moved from his birth town in about 1880's and ended up in Durham. I have for definite on 1901 (birthplace Banff) and 1911 (birthplace Banff, Scotland) census and both so that's why i questions where it could have been exactly.  It does seem strange that he would have moved to Durham from Banff unless of course he was involved in the Fishing Industry. 

Then I question why would someone say they were born in Banff, why Banff, how would he have even heard of a town called Banff if he didn't have a connection with the Town.

Researching your family history should come with a warning about how frustrating it would be.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 September 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
Re the son Alexander, age 1 and born in South Shields, the only possible entry I could see was a 1st Qrt birth entry in South Shields for an Alexander Williamson Stott, MMN Dale...which doesn't make much sense either  :-\

Monica

Added: Ahh, this is 1911 for this Alexander and family so we can exclude https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWCD-2ZC

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 September 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Is there anything in the names of his children that might give you some clues as to his mother's name? Did he name any of his sons John? Just thinking whether he may have used a form of Scottish naming pattern that sometimes gives some clues about family names.

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 September 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Might be an idea to link the previous threads on this (thought it was familiar) to avoid the same information being repeated.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 September 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Memory overload for me  :P

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=623889.9

Monica  :)