Author Topic: Cotton family of Banbury  (Read 4016 times)

Offline cotten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cotton family of Banbury
« on: Thursday 15 November 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on a Cotton family who lived at Banbury, OXF at the beginning of the 19th century but relocated to Salford shortly thereafter. Most of the members of the family are listed as boat builders or ship carpenters in the census records. Does anyone know the origins of this family? I am trying to find out if they originally lived in Leicestershire before moving to Banbury. Thanks.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton family of Banbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you any christian names and years of birth. ;)

There are a few early marriages in Banbury, according to OxFHS marriage index.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline cotten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 06:07 GMT (UK) »
The first member of this family I could find was William Cotton who married Elizabeth Gregory in Banbury in 1758. There are records for the christening of two sons, William (12-5-1761) and Thomas (3-31-1768). I found marriage records for William Cotton and Sarah Chamberlain in 1788 and Thomas Cotton and Sarah King in 1793. I assumed these were William and Elizabeth's sons but then discoved burial records for several of their children; Samuel (11-15-1768), Richard (11-20-1768), another Samuel (2-2-1772) and William (7-9-1772). Since William Jr. died at age 10, the marriage of William Cotton to Sarah Chamberlain must be a second marriage for the elder William. There was also a Robert Cotton who appears to be a member of this family. He was the one who moved to Salford, Lancashire. Thomas and Robert are both listed as boat builders as are at least three of Robert's sons.

Thomas Cotton and Sarah King had four children that I know of - Harriett, Thomas, Amelia, and Holford. It is this last son that makes me think this family is linked to a Leicestershire family. William Cotton, rector of Broughton Astley in Leicester married Elizabeth Halford (or Holford). They had five children - William, Holford, Charles, Judith, and Shuckburgh. Shuckburgh became rector of the church in Newton Purcell, Oxfordshire. His first son Holford died at age seven and a later son also named Holford was vicar of Adderbury just a few miles south of Banbury. Another son of Shuckburgh, Charles, named his son Charles Holford Cotton. I've never come across Holford as a given name anywhere else so I think the William Cotton who married Elizabeth Gregory in Banbury was probably a son or grandson of one of Shuckburgh Cotton's older brothers, William, Holford, or Charles. I am just trying to find out if anyone has any info on William's origins.

Thanks for responding.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 12 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had a bit of a look at this for you,  I am not sure that the Banbury Cotton's are closely connected to Shuckburgh Cotton and family,  there seems to be quite a difference in social level,  the earlier William of Banbury is described as a labourer and Thomas the boatbuilder died in the workhouse in 1837. 

How ever I see from another of you postings that you are trying to track descendants for DNA testing,  so I went back to Rev William Cotton of Broughton Astley's family (his father was also Rev William Cotton of Broughton Astley d1699).  He had 3 other sons besides Shuckburgh - William, Charles & Halford,  it seems that Halford went to Oxford University and then to Scotland where he was a minister in a Scottish church in Edinburgh,  he died in 1737 and I think this would be the reference to his will on Scotland's people

COTTON   HALLFOORD   31/01/1739   
DR, LL.D. , ONE OF THE MINISTERS OF THE NEW CHAPEL AT EDINBURGH   
TESTAMENT DATIVE AND INVENTORY   
EDINBURGH COMMISSARY COURT   CC8/8/101

Unfortunatly my credits for that site have expired - but I wonder if this will would have any clues as to wether he had family (possible male descendents?)   or to what happened to his brothers William & Charles?

I just thought I would mention it

:)
DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cotten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I really have no reason to think this Banbury family is connected to the Leicestershire family other than Thomas's son named Holford. It's just such an unusual name. Shuckburgh's son Holford was vicar at Adderbury at the time that Thomas's son was born so maybe Thomas just named his son after a popular local minister who happened to have the same surname.

I checked out your information about the older Halford at Oxford and found that his brother William also attended the university. There is some sort of error in my information on this line. The info from Oxford say that William entered in 1710 at the age of 18 and Halford entered in 1711 at age 16. This would make their birth years 1692 and 1695 respectively. According to what I found from the Broughton Astley parish registries, William was christened in 1688 and Holford in 1690. I wonder how this discrepancy came about. There is no entry for Charles at Oxford.

I will try to find out how to get a copy of Halford's will and see if that leads anywhere. It may be that this family simply left no direct male line descendants. The idea that I'm related to this family is just a guess anyway but it's the only theory I have at present.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael

You could try asking on the Scotland area of this board about the will,  they will be more used to the Scotlands People website than I am

:)
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miranda Divine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent of Robert Cotton whose father was a boatbuilder in Banbury ....my mother Dorothy Cotton is still alive. In Western Australia.
We have a little family history. It appears from local history in Banbury Thomas Cotton was the second owner of the boatyards that is called Tooleys.
One son went to New York as a boat builder.

We wonder if there are other Cotton relatives around Banbury still.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
Matthew Armitage last year released a good book you may be interested in ="FORGING AHEAD" a history of Tooley's boatyard

Offline Miranda Divine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes i look forward to reading the book. I have made contact with Matthew Armitage....he is a busy man and doing good work. I do hope we can find some relatives back in the "Home Country".