Author Topic: Alberta BMD Certificates  (Read 1871 times)

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
Alberta BMD Certificates
« on: Friday 16 November 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Evening all - I really am in need a bit of help from anyone who's managed to order BMD certificates from Alberta, as I just can't quite understand the process!

My great-granddad was born out there, and it's his birth, the marriage of my 2x great-grandparents and the death of my 2x great-granddad & 3x great-granddad I'm after.

Now, in terms of eligibility the marriage & deaths occurred far enough back that I should be allowed to order them - but the birth was in 1912, under the 120 year cut off.  Gt-granddad died in 1984 so less than 50 years ago, so I understand that  in this situation I need proof of the relationship, which would seem to involve his death certificate (which I have as it's a UK one) and a sworn affidavit saying that I'm a family member.

The main stumbling block, though, is that the sworn affidavit AND proof of identity that every person applying seems to need to provide (even for the certificates that are old enough that in theory they should be fine to be released) seems to have to be signed and executed by a notary in Canada...  And I live in England!

I've emailed them to ask how I go about doing this from overseas, but received no reply.  Before I tear my hair out, run up an extortionate phone bill ringing them, or throw myself on the mercy of a lovely-but-distantly-related Canadian cousin, does anyone with a bit more experience in genealogy in Alberta have any bright ideas how I can get hold of these certificates?

I will never moan about the GRO in the UK again...........  Thanks so much for any help :)

Becky
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Alberta BMD Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
From reading the instructions for people who live outside Alberta I don't see where it says it has to be a Notary Public in Canada. It just says either a Notary Public or a Commissioner for Oaths. Here's a link to their information booklet:
http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/vs/DVS_3317.pdf

If you don't know where to find a Notary Public in England, here's a link to a website that should help:
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
Re: Alberta BMD Certificates
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jacquie - I completely didn't think and just assumed it referred to a Canadian one...  Having used that website, I notice that any solicitor is counted a a Commissioner for Oaths, and in a really strange coincidence my only solicitor friend is coming to visit tonight having not seen her in months...  Luck seems to be on my side!!

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :)

Becky
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer