Author Topic: Searching for my grandad  (Read 9488 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my grandad
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I cant see that it would be them my grandad would of been born before the 1911 census and after the 1901

should that should read after the 1911 census - or is 1916 as year or birth a mistake ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you it could be just looking at dates, we just cannot get that information now till can get hold of his marraige certificate
That sounds like it could be them for the marraige will order a cert as soon as I can thank you for you help.

I have absolutely no idea alot of his brothers and sisters moved to England but I have no idea of when and they spread over quite a few places in the uk

once they were widowed Margaret and Lena lived together in Marple in at least the 70s and 80s and Think that Margaret had a house somewhere in Dublin as one of the brothers lived there if memory serves me rightly

there was another Sister come to think of it that in the 70s and 80s lived in Corby in Northants called Nora and Patricia was somewhere in manchester in the 70s and 80s but that is all that I can remember

The problem is I dont hardly speak to or see any of my family was like pulling teeth trying to get the info I have upto now 

My grandad was adamant it was 1916

Thank you for your help

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I know some of the names of his siblings they were sister patricia, sister margaret and sister lena he is one of 13 and apart from him and these we dont know the other names.

there's a few possible matches for births of the sisters you mentioned that might be worth making a note of - or even gambling a cert or two once you have the marriage details...

Name: Margaret Teresa Nevin
  Registration district:   Birr
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1918
  Volume : 3 / Page: 279

Lena is probably short for another name - long shot but maybe from the middle name for this Mary Ellen ?

Name: Mary Ellen Nevin
  Registration district: Birr
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1911
  Volume: 3 / Page: 297

Birr is the registration district for the area around Shannon Harbour. (The old name for this town and district was Parsonstown)

see :

Introduction to Irish Records

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Details included on a Birth Cert
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

(I've included a link to the details on Irish marriage certs, as I think English marriage certs from the 1940s contained the same information)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 12 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Death record:
James Nevin born c. 1853. Death Reg April-may-june 1918
Registration District: BIRR. Vol 3 Page 235. Age 65

Marriage Registered in Parsonstown Oct-Nov-December 1895 James Nevin Vol 3

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
Lena I think was short for another name but was her first name

if that is my grandads father he would of been 63 when my grandfather was born though not impossible  and Margaret would of been born during the time he died though again not impossible at that age but thinking of Mary his wife if she was of a similar age then again not really possible.

Thank you

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
There was approx 13 years age difference between James & Mary, maybe even more as you cannot rely on the ages totally on the censuses :)

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that its them but at 50 to 52 it is still a age to have children, though possible. Will have to get the marraige certificate for my grandparents and go from there aswell, Thank you

Offline Joanne44X

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you found all your information now? The registration district for Michael Nevin is County Galway East, as he and some other siblings were born in Eyrecourt before moving to Shannon Harbour. The actual date of birth we have is 1915. I know that Michael and Nora had a daughter Pauline, and that the last location we know for her is Urmston in Manchester.