Author Topic: Sarah Wilkinson of Heydon, Essex  (Read 20952 times)

Offline alwilko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wilkinson of Heydon, Essex
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 January 15 17:22 GMT (UK) »
This link to the Ancestry site has info which may assist you: http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/16479461/family?cfpid=20202221152

The missing Joseph Wilkinson whose census details point to him as being born in Riseley in 1806 lived in Wistow, Huntingdonshire. In 1841, he married Eliza Gaylor, who was born in Royston: so he might have lived in Royston during their earlier years, or been born there himself. In 1849, Joseph & Eliza had a son, named Joseph Wilkinson. It was he who was married to Rebecca Wilkinson. Rebecca's maiden name was Lowe. She came from Gedney Hill in Lincolnshire. Joseph & Rebecca moved to Dalston in London & later to Richmond Road in Walthamstow, which is shown as being in West Ham. I have further details of them if you need, including photographs.

This Rebecca Wilkinson appears very unlikely to be the same person as the Rebecca Tarling you describe. Joseph died in 1926. Rebecca Wilkinson died in 1933.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 January 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for providing this. I have to think it over a bit.
There still seems to be some possibility of a connection. Thou, as you have told me, Lowe was a maiden name.
Have you ruled out the Joseph Wilkinson and his spouse Rebecca as relatives?
Heath, Moody, Attwood, King, Baker, Haysman, in Dartford or Chatham Kent
Heath, Moody in Marylebone and Paddington, London
O'Keefe or Keefe in Plaistow

Offline alwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 January 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Ruling out a relationship may be extreme, as even the shared name of Wilkinson alone provides some linkage, but I can see nothing stronger than that at present.

The '1806 Riseley born' Joseph Wilkinson I seek, who was the son of a farmer from Brampton, might fit with the Joseph Wilkinson marriage in 1800 to Mary Hasler, shown in the Ancestry site link I provided. They married at Little Chishill, Cambridgeshire, which is only 5 miles from Royston, & the groom was a farmer.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 January 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
It may not help, but so we don't get too muddled here, there are two unknowns I am interested in. Firstly, a Rebecca Tarling was born a Rebecca Wilkinson, in Riseley, married to a George Tarling in Middlesex, and in Southwark on the census after 1851. I know she was related to Sarah, the relationship could be sister, or sister in law. Ihave not found George Tarling's death or burial record, which might give a clue to where she was buried. She was definitely not a Rebecca Lowe by birth. Secondly, a Rebecca Wilkinson owned the burial plot the Ann nee Wilkinson and Reuben Brown family used. It seems plausible this was Rebecca nee Lowe (married to Wilkinson) as she was in correspondence with the cemetery well after Ann died in 1910 and they all lived in Walthamstow. 

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 January 15 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've no connection to your family but thought I might help out if I can,

Have you seen this confusing death and burial for a George?  I thought it worth looking at as the family are living in Wandsworth registration district in 1871

Death
Transcribed as and image does show it as FARLING

George FARLING    Sep Q 1872    Wandsworth       1d  343

Burial
Transcribed as FARLING, looks like TARLING on the image to me :-\

Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth
George TARLING
No. 38369
14 Aug 1872
Abode:  Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse
Years 40

Very odd, I can't find a George FARLING who would fit either the above death or burial and I've no idea why the death record says 74 but the burial says 40.

It seems there was an infirmary at the workhouse so he might have been there as a patient rather than an inmate.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Wandsworth/

Not sure if this helps or hinders :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline alwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 January 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Daisy for raising George 'Farling' info, which I have noted. It might well be useful in my tracking of Joseph Wilkinson to reveal whether or not the generation above is relevant to my research, and does help.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 01:23 GMT (UK) »
So one George Farling age 40 and one George Farling alias Tarling (a name mistranscription) age 64. George Farling 64 as the Index states, has the right birthyear for George Tarling and lived in the correct district. George Tarling was born in woodbridge, essex in abt 1808/1809.
Clever to find...thanks for pointing to this. Perhaps Rebecca Tarling moved to Walthamstow as a widow. I have found other burials not indexed, or apparently not reported, so that might explain the man aged 40, or otherwise, the age of 40 was an error on the part of the workhouse but the actual report was accurate. this could happen if family were present at the death and knew the correct age.

Offline heathgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:03 GMT (UK) »
To Alwiko: the personal message system seems too complicated for me when I try to replly, but if sending photos you might prefer it. They would be of interest, of course.
I have been mystified by the connection of Sarah to Joseph, who was also living in Walthamstow by 1881, for some time. I will have a look at the censuses when I am able.

Offline alwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
To Heathgirl: I agree that the Personal Message system seems lumpy in its use, but you requested I obtain & send you some 'non posted' info specifically via that route. I have noted some key points linked to the marriage you requested & feel it would be normal to place them here, to assist others' research too. Would that be OK with you?