Author Topic: Thomas Morland Montreal and family  (Read 12279 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Morland Montreal and family
« on: Saturday 17 November 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in finding out about my Morland family as listed in Subject header. Now there is a fair bit of info to be found in various websites I am just starting to come across. A very interesting story, with tragedy of Thomas Morland & Wife Helen Servante dying young leaving 4 young boys in Canada where they look to have been sent to UK to live with Grandparents (From mothers side)...
I attach a link below for a good story for anyone that may be interested..

I would love to hear from anyone that could offer further info on the families or is there a link to anyone researching this family tree.. I am researching my  Morland family from Wigtownship area of Scotland and this family is connected to my tree.. I have much info on the extended Morland family to share from around the world and reading about this Morland family is of much interest to me.. Some interesting military careers listed...I believe Thomas Morland who married Helen Servante was married previous to someone else and his wife before Helen Servante had died.. I dont know when he emigrated to Canada and who was his first wife or details of her death????? Was there any children from the first marriage????  The following is a very short extract to set the scene and the link will take you to an interesting read... There are a few other web sites with info on some of the family.. Google to find..

Link = http://www.ww1wargraves.co.uk/ww1_cemeteries/charles_bernard_morland.asp

EXTRACT from website
Charles Bernard Morland was born in Canada on the 12th November 1866.  His father was Thomas Morland a Manufacturing Engineer in Montreal.  Thomas Morland had emigrated to Canada as a young man (From Lochnaw, Leswalt, Wigtownship, Scotland) and played an important part in the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway.  A widower, he married  Helen Elizabeth Servante a spinster on the 13th August 1863.  Charles had three brothers, Henry born in 1864, Thomas Lethbridge Napier born on the 9th August 1865 and Servante born on the 20th June 1869.  Helen also died on the 20th June 1869, obviously in childbirth.  Thomas Morland himself died on the 26th May 1870.

The four boys were sent to England to live with their Grandparents and
in 1871 all four described as Grandsons were living at 16 St. Lawrence, Portsea, Portsmouth with Lieutenant General Henry Servante (75) Royal Engineers (Retired) and his wife Anne (70) she also being born in Canada.   On the 20th April 1870, Lieutenant General Henry Servante had been appointed to be Colonel Commandant of the Corps of the Royal Engineers

Would love to hear from anyone

Thanks
Scott Morland
Auckland
New Zealand

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morland Montreal and family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,

Just setting us lookers the scene, probably you have all this:

Re Thomas' death: Carelton District, Ottawa, Ontario on 26 May 1870, age 42, Occupation: Merchant, b Scotland

And his burial: at Anglican Saint James the Apostle
Thomas MORLAND, Merchant of Montreal, died at Ottawa, Ontario on the (26 May 1870) and was buried on the (28 May 1870)

This looks like it could be him in 1851 Census England:
Hockley Abby, Soho Rd, Birmingham All Saints,  Warwickshire
HO107 /  Piece: 2059 / Folio: 357 / Page: 1
Head: Henry ELWILL 34, Mechant & Factorm b Sedgley, Staffs
Wife: Margaret ELWILL 28, b Kingston Jamaica
Son: Henry G ELWILL 8, b Handsworth Staffs, 
Son: Robert J ELWILL 7, b Handsworth Staffs,   
Dau: Mary Ann ELWILL 6, b Birmingham, Warks
Son: Ernest ELWILL 4, b Birmingham, Warks
Son: Frederick H 1, b Birmingham, Warks
Visitor: Thomas MORLAND 25, unmarried, Merchant, b Wigtownshire, Scotland
Plus 3 Servants.

If this is him, it narrows down first marriage &  immigration to:  between 1851 to 1863 - though if he was a Merchant, he may well have travelled to & from Canada on more than one occasion, even perhaps marrying there for the first time.

He may also have married in England.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly, Thanks a lot for that.. I do know some parts of Thomas as u say (Not anything about his travels)A lot of info appears of his children...

...but that is new info and a lead.. Looks very promising info supplied.. Well done and thank u very much for looking and posting..

Thanks
Scott Morland

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott

This also looks promising

Google Books (google search term: "Thomas Morland" Montreal wife )
Scots in the USA & Canada 1825-1875, Vo1 1
Page 36:
Jane GRAHAM, wife of Thomas MORLAND of Montreal, died in Boston USA on 13 Dec 1856

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott

Family Search:

Thomas MORLAND and Jane GRAHAM married 26 Apr 1853, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Jane's father: Robert GRAHAM.

Doesn't say anything on the Family Search record for Thomas' father - but I wonder if the parish record might state his (Thomas') occupation at least.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 12 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Again Thanks Ambly for those points.. That looks like him and I believe that is his first wife.. I wonder how she died and it seems that they maybe never had children as I think the few short years later with the events in their lives / Tragic deaths and the birth records of the 4 sons to Helen Servante in amongst all that info that comes out I think there would be mention of other children to previous marriage??

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/collection/artifacts/I-42177#description
I wonder if the image on this web site above link is the Thomas Morland I am looking at for info. The image is of a Thomas Morland who was one of the governors of the Montreal General Hospital.. The image supplied dated about 1869/1870 would therefore have been done just before Thomas Morlands death on 26th May 1870 ... death caused by perforated stomach.. Only a few months earlier Thomas wife died during childbirth. The tragedy for the kids left (4 of them) they were left without any parents and were sent to Portsmouth in England to initially live with their mothers parents who were quite elderly at this stage. Mothers name Helen Servante....

I would love to know if the image supplied in the link above is my Thomas Morland.. I understand that the Montreal General Hospital has a wing named after this Thomas Morland.. Is it mine.. I wonder ...

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
It looks like both the Montreal Star (now defunct) and the Montreal Gazette were being published in the time frame you are looking at. If this was your Thomas on the Board of Governors, and with his status as a merchant he could well have been, there may be something printed in one of the newspapers relating to his death. I have no idea about newspaper archives or how to access them but googling around might find some info. You have a date of death to work with. The McGill University Library may have archives but I don't know whether you could convince anyone to do a lookup.

Have you tried googling for info related to the wing named after Thomas at the MGH?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
polarbear's suggestion is an excellent one. Google:

"thomas morland" "montreal general"

This document: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sbi/
(a pdf doc - that is the "shrunk link" for it)
refers to work that was done on the hospital in 1866, and then says:

"The next and last extension was the Morland wing erected by public subscription, in memory of the late Thomas Morland who while vice-president took the deepest interest in the affairs of the Hospital."

So the timeframe is exactly right for it to be your Thomas Morland.

And: http://archive.org/stream/cihm_16897/cihm_16897_djvu.txt

"In 1848 the widow of the late Chief Justice Reid added the wing known as the 'Reid Wing,' as a monument to the memory of her husband. Fourteen years ago another wing was added in memory of the late Mr. Thomas Morland. The building fronts on St. Dominique street."

That time seems to be off, as that would have been 1862. The previous document puts the building of the wing in the period after 1866.

More accurate:
http://www20.us.archive.org/stream/officialguidean00assogoog/officialguidean00assogoog_djvu.txt

"In 1848 the widow of Chief Justice Reid signified her intention of adding a wing corresponding with the first, to be named after her deceased husband.

Special provision was made for the treatment of children by the erection of the Morland wing, in rear of the Reid wing. This building was added in memory of Mr. Thomas Morland, an active member of the Committee of Management, and was opened in 1874. It contained rooms afterwards utilized for outdoor patients, private wards, and accommodation for servants, which was subsequently transformed to a female ward."
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?