Author Topic: Need Tuam local historian who knows about military  (Read 2623 times)

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Tuam local historian who knows about military
« on: Sunday 18 November 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I need to find a local historian in the Tuam area who can help me with what military and police regiments would  have been there in 1815.   

I have asked several people associated with the local family history center; they have no idea and don't want to be bothered by it.   

It would also be helpful to find a local historian who knows how to research business and tax and so forth records from the 18th century; I'm researching a family there that I know were gentry, merchants, and included a mayor ("sovereign") of Tuam - not a family that nothing would have been known of.

Thanks!

Yours,
Dora Smith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Need Tuam local historian who knows about military
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I need to find a local historian in the Tuam area who can help me with what military and police regiments would  have been there in 1815.   

for Army records from this timeframe you usually need to look in London - i.e. National Archives (Kew). Some surviving records can be ordered via the National Archives website, others have been digitized and on Ancestry and FindMyPast UK

See the armed forces board here on RootsChat

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Pardon me if my post was confusing.

I am looking for a local historian.   That's historian, who lives in that area, or someone with a deep interest in history who lives in that area and has a deep knowledge of its history.   I need this local historian specifically to know about the military history of Tuam and has researched its 18th century merchants or would be likely to know where records about them would be. 

I have previously tried teh Family History Center and noone there knows anything past their own bmd records.   

Thanks!

Dora

Offline judydooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you're still researching this but a booklet on eighteenth century Tuam was released for Heritage Week this year called 'Beauford's Tuam, 1787' which gives details on various merchants and industries in the town at that time.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile