Author Topic: Meath Park, Aghadowey  (Read 12057 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Park, Aghadowey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Wowowuk,
                   I am descended from the Hasletts of Upper Drumneechy who, I believe, are related to the Hasletts of Lower Drumneechy. I have a considerable information on both families garnered from records in PRONI and information fron descendants in New Zealand and Australia. I will have a detailed look at the information you have supplied and get back to you.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline wowowuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell

I also have a considerable amount of data on the Upper and Lower Drumneecy Hasletts collated by my late father including family research from 100 years ago.  The two groups are as you say almost certainly related (originally brothers?).  I would not be surprised if much of the information you have was originally deposited with PRONI by my father!  Maybe we should start a Drumneecy Haslett board? Still finding my way round this site.  I may be "out of action" for next 2 or 3 weeks so don't worry if you get silence for a while.

Regards

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Wowowuk,
                   It was obvious that the PRONI info was deposited before 1920 so it may very well be your father's research. I will send you a Personal Message (PM) with my E-mail address.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
Is New Park another house in Aghadowen?
Newpark is, I think, in the townland of Killykergan.

2d.  Maria Louisa Wilson, m.William RANKIN, New Park.
      1e.  Louie Rankin, m. Hugh Rankin MORRISON of Meath Park (son of Dr. H.S.Morrison, J.P.,  of Aghadowey.
      2e.  Eva Rankin

~ William Ranken, gentleman, New Park, son of David Ranken, linen merchant, married 10 Jan.1878 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church to Maria Louisa Wilson, Meathpark, daughter of James Wilson, gentleman. Witnesses: Robert P. Ranken, Mary Haslett. Note: register not signed by minister.
 ~ Annie Louisa Ranken, daughter of William & Maria Wilson, born 22 June 1881, baptised 2 Oct.1881 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
 ~ Maria Eva Kathleen, daughter of William & Maria Wilson, born 13 Jan.1884, baptised 19 May 1884 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
 ~ Hugh Rankin Morrison, gentleman, Bellevue, [2nd] son of Hugh Smyth Morrison M.D., married 14 Dec.1910 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church to Louie Ranken, New Park, daughter of William Ranken J.P., gentleman. Witnesses: Albert Morrison, Eva K. Rankin. Note: marriage also in Coleraine Registry Office (not sure why)
~ Coleraine Chronicle, 26 Jan.1936: RANKEN- January 18th, at her residence, New Park, Garvagh, Maria Louisa, widow of the late William Ranken, J.P., aged 94 years.
 ~ Northern Constitution, 14 July 1917: At the Roman Catholic Church, Portrush, on the 7th inst., by the Rev. Father H. Skeffington, Frank Yaxle Welsh, eldest son of Captain Welsh, R.M., Dhu Varren, Portrush, Co.Antrim, to Eva Kathleen, younger daughter of Mrs. William Ranken, New Park, Coleraine, Co.Derry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
A few more bits which may be of interest:

~ Coleraine Chronicle, 16 Aug.1856: HASLETT- At 11 Canning Street, Belfast, on the 16th inst., aged 64 years, Mary Jane, wife of the Rev. Henry Haslett, of Castlereagh, and daughter of the late John Wilson, Esq., Drumcroon, county Derry. Note: he died 5 Dec.1868.

Children of John Wilson (died 12 July 1832 aged 84) & wife Sarah (died 8 Jan.1809 aged 53)-
Hugh born 23 Jan.1778 (died in infancy)
Mary born 24 July 1779 (died in infancy)
Matty born 4 Mar.1781 (Martha died 16 May 1797)
Sarah Rice born 26 Dec.1782 died 9 Feb.1802
John born 29 Sept.1784 died 4 Nov.1852
Samuel born 17 Sept.1786 died 29 Jan.1833
Mary Jane born ___ 1788 died 10 Aug.1856
Betty born 12 July 1788 (died in infancy)
James born 14 Feb.1793 died 28 June 1846
Robert born 10 Sept.1794 (died in infancy)
Ann born 15 June 1796 died 12 Aug.1872

~ Belfast Newsletter, 5 Oct.1849: On Thursday, the 4th inst., by the Rev. Dr. Brown, Aghadowey, the Rev. Dr. Huston, Macosquin, to Anna, daughter of the late John Wilson, of Drumcroon, Esq.

Offline wowowuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Gosh Aghadowey you are a mine of information!

It all ties in with my family records but now with added details - thanks.

I shall be responding again hopefully in a few weeks.

Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms- children of John & Matilda Wilson, Drumcroon:
John bapt. Nov.1825
Matilda Mary Brett bapt. 17 Dec.1826
Charles Thomas bapt. 22 Feb.1829 (deceased written in register)
Annabella Eliza bapt. 10 Sept.1830
Charles James bapt. 27 May 1832
Thomas C__ bapt. 11 Mar.1834
Mariah Sarah Wilson bapt. 12 Mar.1837

~ Coleraine Chronicle, 20 Mar.1869: At Drumcroon, parish of Macosquin, on the 14th inst, Charles James Wilson, Esq., second son of the late John Wilson, Esq., Drumcroon.

~ Coleraine Chronicle, 15 Nov.1852: At his residence, Drumcroon, on the 4th instant, near Coleraine, John Wilson, Esq., in the 68th year of his age.

~ Coleraine Chronicle, 9 Oct.1869: At Drumcroon, parish of Macosquin, on the 8th inst., Matilda Mary Anne, relict of the late John Wilson, Esq.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
Macosquin Church of Ireland-

Beneath the adjoining flat stone are buried John Wilson senr. Drumcroon died 12th July 1832 aged 84. His wife Sarah died 8th January 1809 aged 53. Erected by request of their son John. Also dear friends Elizabeth Corne[?] died 3rd February 1848 aged 73. Maria Black died 13th January 1855 aged 82. Annabella Brett died 18th April 1840 ahed 39 who lies adjacent.

Beneath the adjoining flat stone are buried John Wilson junr. Drumcroon died 4th Novemeber 1852 aged 68. His wife Matilda died 8th October 1869 aged 74. And their children Charles died 9th June 1829 infant. Charles died 15 Mrch 1869 aged 36 Matilda died 15TH January 1874 aged 48. Maria died 23rd September 1878 aged 41 Thomas died 11th April 1884 aged 50. Annabella Eliza died 26th April 1893 aged 62.

Let me know if you want more details on the family.

Offline ancestryulster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Aghadowey
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello listers

I think I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but here goes.

Has anyone ever heard of a Ballymeath in Aghadowey or indeed anywhere in County Londonderry?

I found Meath Park and Ballymenagh but no Ballymeath
The time period I'm dealing with is 1690-1710  Williamite War period.

any advice would be appreciated

best wishes
Robert