Author Topic: Printing pdf from dropbox on Windows7  (Read 17563 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Printing pdf from dropbox on Windows7
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Can you save the pdf file/s to your desktop and then try to open them via My Computer or My Documents?

Or make sure you don't have Word or Excel or anything else open.

I think your problem is that you are in email mode and maybe the wrong program for opening it;  I have had that problem with shared Dropbox - I had just been using something in Word, then went to open an Excel file in a shared Dropbox file, and it couldn't handle it. 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
The Adobe pdf reader or whatever pdf reader you are using (probably Adobe as it is the default installed in the majority) should open the pdf file in your browser program when you click on the link provided by your friend.

If it is the Adobe reader then the toolbar can be found by moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen while reading the pdf file (don't click the buttons yet just move the mouse cursor to the bottom of the page) it will have symbols for saving the file and printing (as per the image) if this control panel does not appear try pressing Ctrl Shift and S at the same time to save a copy to your computer.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions. The email is from someone in a voluntary group to other group members and has caused not just me problems I have today found out!

I agree I am in the 'wrong 'program but the files won't come out of the browser! You cannot save them to anywhere, - no option, nor print them,- you try and nothing happens - they don't go to the printer, they never appear in the print queue nor is there an 'open with ' option.
I tried the 'download' option at the top of the dropbox page too but that still opens them in the internet browser and also scrambles the page - a form I need to print out.
Because the file is still in the browser window, I don't get any of the hover options that Falkryn referred to either. I've never known files like them.
I - and others- have emailed the originator to ask for them to come a different way, but I am very frustrated that I cannot get to the bottom of why I can't open them properly. I hate not understanding why something doesn't work!
Thanks again. As ever Rootschat helps :)

(PS in case someone asks  I have adobe reader9 and IE8 and Windows 7)
North East of England

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Try having a look at this link

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22414493/True%20Yarns%20of%20Diving%20Hero%20page%202.PDF

It is a PDF file on my Dropbox account and was the one from which I took the screen shot showing the toolbar.

PS The Hover functions I referred to are specifically within Browsers as Adobe operates differently when started externally from a web browser - so it is rather strange that the functions are not available - one possible answer is the security setting on the pdf file may exclude saving or printing

Link now deactivated

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn
Your dropbox link you posted works perfectly and there is a lovely tool bar with print options and everything else. I can only assume you are correct and there is something inherent in the original file I was sent that stops me from saving and printing.
Many thanks for your help and suggestions. It is much appreciated.
North East of England