Author Topic: 1861 Ontario Census Lookup  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1861 Ontario Census Lookup
« on: Tuesday 20 November 12 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all....I am looking for a SARAH HODGES....(in 1861 census)...apparently her name is spelled HODGETS...Wellington County Ontario...she was born 1835 in England...came to Canada in 1853...if anyone can help...i would appreciate it...Thank you...
Gotcha

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Ontario Census Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 05:18 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry on the 1861 census for a Sarah whose surname looks like Hodgets in Westminister, Middlesex County, Ontario. She was 26, single, born in England and her religion is listed as Church of England. Relationships and households weren't indicated on the census for 1861 however there was a column to indicate if the resident is a family member or not and for Sarah's entry it indicates she is not a family member so it appears she was living in the household of a merchant named John Birrell and his family.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie....thank you so much for your quick response....

Gotcha

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking for what happened to her after 1861, or is that the part you know? ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuck....Sarah married Philip Carey in about 1867...after his first wife, Mary, died...i have Philip (b 1814 England, d 1906 Ontario) and Sarah (b 1835 England, d 1923 Ontario) in 1871...and 1891...1901...1911....but i don't know what happened to them in the 1881...they just seem to vanish...i am also looking into a marriage of one of their daughters...Lucy Margaret Carey to Charles F. Chantler...I don't know where or when they married but Charles (born 1867, Minnesota) & Lucy (born 1872, Ontario)...Charles died 1938 Santa Clara California and Lucy died 1948 Santa Clara California...

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I asked, didn't I? ;)

So in 1861 he's in Perth County (Carrey, corrected).

And in 1871 I can't tell they are (I don't pay for Ancestry access for Cdn records and it doesn't show the county in the free results, but it isn't Perth or Wellington or Middlesex, apparently) - mistranscribed Carny? with children
George 1868
Lilly Susan 1870
Thos J 1870

And in 1891, in Perth County with children
Annie 1866
George 1869
Lellie 1871
Lan 1873
James 1878

And in 1901, in Perth County with children
Anna 1865
Jas 1878
George 1879
Wm 1880

(something screwy with George's age, not to mention a couple of the names; Lan must be Lucy?)

Unless this is a completely different Philip and Sarah Carey ... this is the info one wants in order to do searches, not the info one has to find in order to do searches!

But for sure, they don't seem to be anywhere in 1881. ???

Records from FS:

Lucy Margaret was born in St Mary's, Perth County, 1872.
Philip James  was born in St Mary's, Perth County, 1878.

Anne married in 1903 in London, Middlesex.

Sarah aged 3 died in St Mary's in 1871
Prince aged 3 died in St Mary's in 1867
- if these were their children, the marriage must have been 1864 or earlier.
(that info seems to be from census schedules so that would be check-able)

So they seem to have been pretty consistently in St Mary's. Unless they upped sticks and went somewhere else for 1881.

No joy from me. But here. I used to live in Waterloo County, next to Perth County, after growing up in Middlesex County. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykxb1ziYPuU

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi JaneyCanuck....
this is what I have....
In 1851 census, its spelled Cary but with correction, Carey, living East Nissouri, Oxford County. with first wife Mary.
In 1861 census, its Philip Carrey with wife Mary, living St. Marys, Perth County.
Also in 1861 census, Sarah is listed as Sarah Hodgets. She came to Canada in 1853.
In 1871 census, its PHILLIP CARNY, with second wife, Sarah, living St. Marys, Perth County. 
In 1881 census, who knows, can't find them.
In 1891 census, Philip & Sarah, family are in St. Marys, Perth County. (spelled Carey)
In 1901 census, Philip & Sarah, with family are in St. Marys, Perth County. (spelled Carey)

Philip & Mary (nee Golds, born about 1817), married in England.
Children of Philip & Mary...
Spouses names in brackets...
Harriet - born about 1835 - died 1906 Michigan (George H. Richardson, born about 1818 New York, not his first marriage)
Jane - born about 1836 - died 1913 Perth County (Edwin George Johnson, born about 1835)
Frances - born about 1840 - died 1909 Michigan (David Ira Harris, born about 1833)
Sarrah - born about 1842 - died 1924 Perth County (Martin Nutt, born about 1835)
Elizabeth - born about 1844 - died 1908 Stratford (no marriage found)

Philip & Sarah (nee Hodges, born 1835, Ledbury Herefordshire, parents James & Margaret Hodges, died 1923, see Sarah's death registration)
Children of Philip & Sarah
Spouses names in brackets...
Annie - born about 1865 - (William John Cook, born 1872, son of William Charles Cook & Hannah Evans)
George William - born about 1868 - (Julia Laforge, born about 1867, daughter of Charles Laforge & Sarah Jane Eveland)
Lily Susan - born about 1869 - (Horace G. Nutt, born about 1868, son of Martin Nutt & Sarrah Carey, sarah was daughter of Philip & Mary)
Lucy Margaret - born about 1872 - (Charles F. Chantry, born about 1867, Minnesota, son of William Chantry & Harriet Bartholamew)
Louise - born about 1873 - (no marriage found)
James Philip - born about 1878 - (no marriage found)
William - born about 1880 - (no marriage found)
As to Lucy Margaret, I have no idea when or where she and Charles married...they both died in Santa Clara California.
Since Louis, James Philip and William can't be found, i am assuming they went to California too...
Any further elaboration on the above or corrections would be appreciated.
Thanks...
Gotcha

Offline mahantnh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gotcha,

I am also researching the family of Philip Carey, and ran across your discussion.  It pretty much agrees with my information, but I did notice a couple of differences in the children of Philip and Mary (Golds) Carey:

My information shows that their daughter Jane married Samuel Henry Mitchell about 1853 in East Nissouri, Oxford, Ontario.  According to his death record, Samuel was born 6 Jun 1830 in Devon, England and died 30 Jan 1910 in St. Marys, Perth, Ontario.

It was Elizabeth Richardson (my great-grandmother), daughter of George H. Richardson and Harriet Carey, who married Edwin Gardner Johnson.  Edwin was born 11 Nov 1835 in Vernon, Oneida, NY and died 25 Oct 1925 in Port Hope, Huron, Michigan.  He was the son of Gardner S. and Fanny (Cook) Johnson.

I surely would like to know what became of Philip's first wife, Mary Golds.  I haven't found any record of her death, or a burial record.  She just disappeared after 1861.

I did not have any marriage record for Philip and Sarah (Hodges) Carey's son George William Carey.  Thank you!

Hallie

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 14 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi....I got the name...EDWIN GEORGE JOHNSTON...from the following site...http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi/county/huron/HuronMarriages.html

also their son, Gardner E is listed there...marrying in 1890 to RETTA BUNTING

As for the first wife of Philip Carey...Mary Golds...I don't have any information on her death either....
The marriage of Philip Carey and Sarah Hodges is on this
site....http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/186/g1867c00.htm#carey

That same sites has this information....in which it states Philip as WIDOWER

13 CAREY {HODGES} Sarah f 35 Eng Meth English married
   linked as maiden name  HODGES Sarah
     d/o HODGES James and wife Margaret
     CAREY Philip age 51 widower residence Blanshard Township born England and HODGES Sarah age 32 residence Blanshard Township born England married 1867-03-27
     source: County Marriage Registers of Ontario 1858-1869 Volume 17 Perth County page020