Author Topic: iPad mini-the perfect amateur genealogists tool?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline lenc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
iPad mini-the perfect amateur genealogists tool?
« on: Wednesday 21 November 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
hi

i would like to hear other peoples opinions of the new iPad mini.

i have just treated myself to an early pressie from santa and i am delighted with it.

its just the right size to carry around,and yet big enough to read comfortably all those e-books and pdf documents  i have been meaning to read for months

i can also easily and quickly scan through my GRO scans  etc so i always have them with me

my family tree on ancestry comes up beautifully

so what do you guys think?

is the ipad mini the ideal genealogists working tool?

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: iPad mini-the perfect amateur genealogists tool?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I think I'd rather have a Kindle Fire HD, thanks.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I think I'll stick to my little Windows Netbook. ;D  At least I can install what I like on that and am not subject to what Apple will allow to download/purchase from their store. ::)  Not all of us have an online tree, nor wish to have one either so an iPad of any sort is no use.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm put off by the price of the IPad mini. I could buy a sofa for the same money. The Google Nexus 7 has a better screen resolution, it's massively cheaper and from what I've read looks really really good. Has anybody used one?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I think I'll stick to my little Windows Netbook. ;D  At least I can install what I like on that and am not subject to what Apple will allow to download/purchase from their store. ::)  Not all of us have an online tree, nor wish to have one either so an iPad of any sort is no use.

I don't have an online tree.  I use Heredis (a free app) on my ipad and find it very useful.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
The Google Nexus 7 has a better screen resolution, it's massively cheaper and from what I've read looks really really good. Has anybody used one?

I took delivery of the Nexus 7 32Gb 3G last Thursday. My first Android device. Google have sold out of that model at present. If you google review plus the name of the make you will find lots of comparisons between Nexus, Kindle and iPad mini

I am not a fan of Apple either because of the price. The build quality of the Nexus 7 is excellent. I can hold is in one hand so would not like the iPad mini as it is about half an inch wider. Although I would recommend getting a wallet from somewhere like Amazon. It also has a microUSB port so you can I attach things. I don't know about iPads or Kindles.

I ordered a free SIM from GiffGaff and that took a week to come. They use the O2 service, so you should check out the speed in your area. Three are offering it on contract. Giff Gaff charge £5 for 500Mb - £7.50 for 2Gb - £12.50 for 3 Gb - valid for a month. Whether you need/want to pay £40 extra for 3G depends on if you have good WiFi available and where you travel to.

Bad points:

- Google charged £15 delivery
- It comes with vitually no instructions. Fine for WiFi but not for 3G
- Took ages to set up 3G. Problem with most technies on the forums I tried only have 3G on a phone so getting the first two-three steps was a pain. I found a clip on YouTube in the end, and it works fine.

Another good point is that it does not come in white.

Ken

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The iPad is made in the same Chinese factory (Foxconn) as the Xbox3, Sony Playstation, the Kindle and the Wii U.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I've got the first iPad  and it's very good to use but now have Samsung tab 2 with 10  inch screen . It's fantastic for looking on websites and forums.
Berry and Shilton from West Bromwich and Rushall ....Dawend in Staffordshire

Offline lenc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »

thanks guys.

i agree about the price of apple products.they are very expensive.i am happy with my purchase though and its giving me a chance to read all those ebooks i downloaded.

the irish free genealogy ebook blog particularly is excellent.

tbh i had no intention of buying one until  wife asked for one for her birthday,so i ended up buying two!!

trying to keep apple inc in the black single handedly lol!