Author Topic: John Brown, Seaman, Greenock Died 1861-1871  (Read 8615 times)

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Brown & Elizabeth Hexton or Hackston
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 February 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
Managed to find quite a lot of info on the Hackston family on Family Search including John and Mary's Marriage in 1800. Children 1801 Jean, 1802 Isobel, 1807 Fanny Baird, 1810 John. Fanny married George Bruce 1826. Plenty of Census Info on them on FreeCen. John married Susanna Forrest 1836. Got their Census info too. Only thing is the tentative link that Elizabeth and Isobel are one in the same.
Regards Mark
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Brown, Seaman, Greenock Died 1861-1871
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Mark, you are always going to have doubts given that Elizabeth's death cert didn't include her parents' names. They were common first name variants, if that gives you some comfort.

Are there OPR entries for christenings for the children of Elizabeth and John? Sometimes family names show as sponsors on the entries which can help.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 February 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Good Point, there are 4 Parish records for 1839 William Brown, 1841 Margaret Mclean Broun, 1843 Elizabeth Thompson Broun, 1845 William Hunter Brown. Presumably the 1st William died. I will try and visit the local library who have these on Microfiche just in case there are no additional details on it.
Thanks Again.
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 February 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
This is an entry in SP Wills/Testaments for the inventory account of this chap below.  He may or may not be your man.  I looked at the record it doesn't identify where he lived or his family other than a James Brown co-signing as to the document's accuracy.  The purpose of this document is to value his assets to which as a seaman it included the disclosure of a small seaman's life insurance policy. 

BROWN   JOHN   19/11/1868   ENGINEER ON BOARD THE ROYAL MAIL STEAM PACKET SHIP "DOWRO ", DIED ON SHIP AT WATER ISLAND, OFF SAINT THOMAS, WEST INDIES   I   GLASGOW SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC36/48/60   

Only inland waters deaths were recorded with SP and if he died on open sea it is entered into the ship's logs.

However a quick scan of the British Newspaper Archives suggests there may in fact be an obit but I didn't spend the coin to look there were many, many John Brown's in the Strathclyde area who died 1861-1871.

Btw...the 1866 death in Greenock is not yours, he is single.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 February 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Don, thanks for the Info. i will try and follow this up.
Only thing is, if he died in 1968 he probably wouldn't have been in the 1869 Post office Directory but you never know. Regards Mark

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Recently viewed the burial records and found that John Brown passed away in 1864. A bit strange he is still in the Post Office Directory until 1869. There are 3 records on Scotland’s People that don’t have any age. I’ll need to purchase all 3 no doubt to get the right one. Elizabeth is also buried alongside John along with her Granddaughters who died young Elizabeth Hexton Crawford and Elizabeth Hexton Halliday. Gives a bit more weight to Hexton rather than Hackston.

Offline Melissa Gemmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for a John Brown. I'm wondering if it is the same person you are all talking about.
Mine was born 29 Sep 1828 Greenock Renfrewshire Scotland. He was baptised on 5 Oct 1828.
His parents are William Brown (1798-1875) and Agnes Findlay (1799-1878)
The other siblings are -
Janet 1824
Mary 1826
Elizabeth 1831
Rachel 1836
William 1838
Emily 1843
I am yet to find a marriage but I did find a certificate of competency as a Second Mate.
Look forward to hearing what others think!