Author Topic: A question about Bishops' Transcripts and FamilySearch etc.  (Read 3848 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Bishops' Transcripts and FamilySearch etc.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 November 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't mind travelling to a Family History Centre to view microfiche, what I do think is a waste of time is having to travel many miles just to ask them to order the one you want.  There is e-mail, 'phone and even snail mail if necessary to place an order.  I buy lots of things on line and I don't have to travel all over the UK to place the orders.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 November 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
LizzieW - I agree.  In this day and age, what with the internet and everything, it is clearly unacceptable that people have to travel to see these things.  I reiterate my earlier question - what about the elderly and disabled?  Does this not discriminate against them?  And of course, there are people who live overseas.

Please remember the Family History Centers are not primarily there for the general public. They are there for the purposes of the LDS Church, and whatever services they provide to non-members are out of their generosity, not out of duty. I don't think we should be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

And there are Family History Centers world-wide.

Apologies, rant over.

Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 November 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »

I don't mind travelling to a Family History Centre to view microfiche, what I do think is a waste of time is having to travel many miles just to ask them to order the one you want.  There is e-mail, 'phone and even snail mail if necessary to place an order.  I buy lots of things on line and I don't have to travel all over the UK to place the orders.

Online ordering is now the only permitted way to order films, has been for a year or so.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 November 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Back to 91090 the original baptism record and the film where the record of Robert Wood's baptism IS recorded. That is where familysearch.org had transcribed the record which we do see. But the Robert Wood baptism is one of a limited number of baptisms which was performed during the tenure of Bishop Shute Barrington, Bishop of Durham. That is until the last day of December 1812 when HM Government standardized the CofE parish register system. If you read the records of the other children on the C-L-S page I sent you you will see what I mean. Both parents names, where the parents were born, sometimes father of the mother etc.. This was not included on the Internet version which we can see.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 November 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 November 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »

Online ordering is now the only permitted way to order films, has been for a year or so.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche
tc

Agreed. It is here in Australia, anyhow.  Our FHS has a licence from LDs for people to order films and view at our library, even though there are quite a few of their centres in our city.
Surely the UK is up to date with online ordering too?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline fordofcrows

• RootsChat Member
  • Time travelling detective since 1720
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 November 12 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Please remember the Family History Centers are not primarily there for the general public. They are there for the purposes of the LDS Church, and whatever services they provide to non-members are out of their generosity, not out of duty. I don't think we should be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Sorry Graham.  I wasn't actually aware of that.  Of course, I am grateful for the LDS Church for the amazing free service they provide - I just didn't see the link between LDS and Family History Centers.  And yes, I do feel like an idiot.

Wood - Knaresborough
Bickerdike - Knaresborough
Rawlings - London
Borrill - Lincolnshire
Crawford - Lincolnshire
Skipworth - Friskney, Lincolnshire
Tune - Lincolnshire
Grocock - Lincolnshire
Harness - Lincolnshire
Manton - Lincolnshire
Pogmore - Lincolnshire
Spriggs - Lincolnshire
Triffitt - Lincolnshire

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »

Don't forget www.freereg.org.uk  folks. It's always worth a look; new stuff is being uploaded all the time as the noble band of volunteers struggles through the inkblots, crossings out, squiggles, and vicar's abbreviations to transcribe PRs from all over England so they are available free of charge online.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 November 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
  Don't forget www.freereg.org.uk  folks.

I did mention it in reply #17  ;)

A vast amount of information is now on the internet that wasn't there only a few years. The Bishops Transcripts are a case in point - they've only been available for a short time. More and more is coming on line every day via, for instance, free Reg or Durham records Online.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk