Author Topic: Missing Morrisons  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Morrisons
« on: Friday 23 November 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
'(Have found some new additions to my family tree but unfortunately they seem to disappear after there births, Church Baptism Record

Name: Ann Morrison   
  Date of Baptism: 16-Mar-1849
  Address: Not Recorded   
  Parish: Edgeworthstown (RC), Co. Longford
  Parents: Francis Morrison & Ann Burrows
  Sponsors : James Morrison & Mary Irvins

She next appears in the 1861 English census along with her parents but her brothers Patrick 1845 +Edward 1840 are nowhere to be seen, anyone got any  ideas?
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Morrisons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for deaths for  Patrick and Edward in England ?

Unfortunately given the dates, if they died in Ireland there would be no civil death record, and RC parish registers rarely keep details of death/burials - so may not be possible to confirm this.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 12 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the reply shanew, have tried English parish records and BMD but no sign of them, do you know if they would be living close to or in Edgsworthtown or would it be the place every Catholic went in Longford to be  baptised? (thinking of looking for grave yards)
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a number of RC parishes in Co. Longford, and the one that covered the town of Edgeworthstown was also known as Mostrim. Longford town is in the RC parish of Templemichael to the west of Mostrim.

see : Co. Longford RC parishes  (Irish Times)

Mostrim parish has some death/burial details going back to the late 1830s. Might be worth checking RootsIreland to see if they have transcripts of these - but note that these could contain very basic details i.e. just the name of the deceased and date of burial.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Shanew, if we get some nice weather next week I will go to Edgeworthstown and see if there are any old grave stones or church records around, do you know the place at all and where the best locations are?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 18:09 GMT (UK) »
The RC parish church was in the town of Edgeworthstown, but doesn't seem to have a graveyard attached.. so you would have to check the surrounding area. Not all families could afford headstones, especially for children, so I think a search for one is probably a long shot..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
There's a cemetery near Edgeworthstown mentioned at this link :

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/1389366

looks to be to the east of the town.

Here it is on the current OSI map - link

There's a graveyard shown at the same location on the c1890 map, but not the earlier map, which is dated c1837.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,
                        no harm in me having a look around this graveyard might even get some info from the Priest.