Author Topic: DBSIG: Database for Special Interest Groups  (Read 22242 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: Database for Special Interest Groups
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 September 13 06:27 BST (UK) »
ps.

in this topic,
Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=613454.0
I talked about how I converted some data from Histres and RichardFunk.  If you have a lot of data to enter, and this is in an excel table, then perhaps I can also help you, by transferring the data directly from the table to the database.

Let me know, if this would help :)
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Haichem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Bob and Ruskie for putting me straight on what I needed to do.  I was just too keen to start adding to the database, but guess I should have spent more time investigating Rootschat and how it worked.  With reference to the info. I was hoping to add to the table - I do have quite a few names, but some are on the German PB database already, although I could add more detail or make corrections.  Also some of my information stems from a 2 hour session with Herr Kraut in the Kunzelsau archives in 2007, when he was able to get my STEIN line back by about 200 years - obviously they were not all Pork Butchers!  Is the database specifically concerned with the ones who came here to England and worked as Pork Butchers, rather than their ancestors in Germany?  All help and guidance much appreciated.
England:  Castle, Darling, Ford,Oxley, Phillips (Yorkshire), Featherstone (Barnstaple), Turton (Wolverhampton)
Scotland (Stonehaven):  Phillips/Philps, Park
Germany, Baden-Wurttemberg:  Stein (Kunzelsau), Haffner (Hohebach), Rummler (Belsenberg), Rubmann, Breitinger

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 September 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Haichem,

the focus of the database is german pork butchers in Britain. 
So usually it starts with those butchers who were born in Germany and emigrated to Britain, and then includes their children (if they were also pork butchers) and their employees.

Some also went on to America, so these are also included.

There is a field for parent's names, so the german parents of the emigrants can be entered here, but in general, the database doesn't deal with german ancestry as such.  It's main use is to help track who came over, where they settled,  and the interrelationships (if any) between them.

I do have quite a few names, but some are on the German PB database already, although I could add more detail or make corrections.
There is an on-going discussion about this (who is allowed to enter data, etc see
Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454 )

At the moment you will need to contact the contributor, and ask them to add your data
(hence the restriction on being able to use the PM system :) )

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)