Author Topic: 1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN - Completed  (Read 4695 times)

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN - Completed
« on: Monday 05 July 04 21:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone check for Ann Shearman in the 1871 Wotton Under Edge Census please if possible.

She was born in 1822 at WUE and would have been 49 in 1871. She was widowed in 1866. Her children were Mary bn 1845 (26 in 1871), Ambrose (24), Hester (21), Emma (18), Elizabeth (15) Louisa (12) & Robert William (8).

In the 1881 Census she was living with her daughter Louisa and grand daughter Florence Galloway in Bradley Road, Wotton Under Edge.

I would like to know if any of her children were still living with her in 1871.

Regards

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re:1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 04 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy

1871 UK Census, Gloucester
RG10/2591, Folio 12, Page 16, ED 1
Road/Street: Bradley
# of Schedule 75

SHEARMAN
Ann, 49, Head, W, Charwoman, b WUE, Gloucester
Louisa, 12, dau, scholar, b North Nibley
Robert W, 8, son, scholar, b North Nibley

There were no others in the household.

Regards,
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

Many thanks for checking out the census for me. I'm very grateful. I guess the other siblings must be either married or earning their own keep.

Nice to see my great grandmother Louisa was still at school. Must have been hard for the family without a man's wage coming in.

I'm lucky to have in my possession a book entitled 'Christmas Holidays' by Miss Jane Strickland presented to Louisa in Aug 1876 from Wotton Under Edge Tabernacle Sunday School. (They don't write them like that any more!)

It is nice, therefore, to have as much information about the family as possible in order to build up a picture of family life.

With many thanks

criggy

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy
Thank you very much for the kind response.  Made me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

I took another look at the 1871, did not see any of the "girls" on the index but found the following, which may add some to your story.

1871 Gloucester. census
Civil Parish: St. James & St Paul, City: Bristol
Reg Dist: Clifton, sub reg: Ashley
RG 10/2547, Folio 54, Page 26

SHEARMAN
Ambrose, Head, M, 24, Postman, b Gloust., Southend
Pamela, Wife, M, 29, b WUE, Sinwell
William E, son, 1, b           "       "

Road/Street: 12 Picton Street.

FYI   98 names came up on the search for Shearman in Gloucestershire.  If you need any of the others, please let me know.

I understand what you mean about old books, etc. I am blessed with my gr gr grandfathers diary, although it only covers 1836 through 1850, it is pure joy.

Kind regards,
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 04 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

I've just found your reply to my reply! Not quite sure what happened but I wasn't aware of it until today. I did get a message last week but when I clicked to check it I couldn't find anything!! Probably operator error (mine of course) but I'm very sorry not to have replied sooner.

Many thanks for checking the other sisters for me and for finding Ambrose and family. It is nice to know what happened to the siblings & to increase the tree further.

Lucky you for having your gr gr grandfather's diary to read. Makes things all the more personal.

Once again many thanks

Might be back when I've had a sift through the data - thanks for the offer.

Regards

criggy

Offline niftynita

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Great GPs, 2 children (incl my GF seated) 1912
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi criggy and grub
I have just come across this posting about the Shearmans in WUE.  I have just returned from a holiday in Townsville north Qld, where I discovered  that my grandfather's side of the family came from WUE.   My 3xGreat GF was Samuel Shearman, and his wife Eliza (nee Window).    They had several children, but anything you have for the 1871 Census for WUE on the following would be great: 
Samuel & Eliza  (Eliza died 1893, but I haven't found Samuel's death yet)
George  (born abt 1839-40)
James  (born 1841)
Joseph  (my 2x Great GF - born 1843) and his wife Mary Ann (born 1843 also)
Emma (born 1846)
Walter (born 1851)
Eliza (born 1853 ??)   
Joseph & Walter emigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1882, so I have the families in the 1881 census, but the 1871 info would help a lot. 

Criggy, can you tell me who Ann was married to?   It will probably help link up the line a bit, whether she may have been married to one of Samuel's brothers maybe??   Any info would be welcome. 

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards Anita    :) :)
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and am always searching for the following in Aust & UK:
DORSET - Moore, Reeks;  WILTSHIRE - Chalk, Elkins; HAMPSHIRE - Chalk, Hack;  DERBYSHIRE - Chadwick;
CUMBERLAND - Armstrong, Pearson;  LONDON/KENT AREA - Frith, Knight; YORKSHIRE - Street (WR), Pearson (NR); SOMERSET - Pickford; 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Shearman, Tarling;   SCOTLAND - Street, Low, McNab.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Wotton Under Edge, Gloucs SHEARMAN - Completed
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita

Just trying to sort out my notes a bit.

Came across Walter Shearman in my files from the 1881 census & my notes say the following:

Walter Shearman was c 16.5.1851 at WUE the son of Samuel Shearman & Elizabeth (nee Window), lab of Pound Ground, WUE. George Walter was c 23.9.1874 at WUE (Walter was a lab of Steep, WUE & Frank was c 28.6.1876 WUE (Walter was a lab of The Ark, WUE) both sons of Walter & Sarah Shearman. Hester Hobbs married Joseph George Baylis (re Dec 1874 Dursley) & married her second husband, Walter Shearman in 1880 (BMD reg Mar Dursley). Sarah Shearman (nee Orchard died in 1879 aged 27 (BMD reg Dec Dursley).

I'll be back!

Regards

criggy

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Wotton Under Edge

Samuel Shearman, bachelor, of this parish married Eliza Window, spinster, of this parish, by banns 2.9.1832 Both left their marks

Parish Registers Wotton Under Edge

c 16.3.1834 Harriet dau of Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Kingswood New Mills, Millman
c 22.8.1841 James  son of  Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Cloudmill, Lab
c 22.10.1843 Joseph son of Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Potters Pound, Lab
c 12.4.1846 Emma dau of Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Sinwell. Lab
c 5.8.1849 Walter son fo Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Cloud, Lab
c 16.9.1851 Walter son of Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Pound Ground, Lab
c 20.2.1853 Eliza dau of Samuel & Eliza Shearman of Horsepool Lane, Lab

Burials Wotton Under Edge

11.8.1849 Walter Shearman Nr the Tan House, infant
8.4.1869 Samuel Shearman of Potters Pound aged 65
19.12.1870 Elizabeth Shearman of Sinwell aged 17

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
1861 Sinwell, WUE RG9/1750 P7 F88

Samuel Shearman  Head Mar 54 Carter bn WUE
Eliza Shearman Wife Mar 48 bn WUE
Joseph Sheaman Son 17 Labourer bn WUE
Emma Shearman Dau 15 Dressmaker bn WUE
Walter Shearman Son 10 Scholar bn WUE
Eliza Shearman Dau 8 Scholar bn WUE