Author Topic: george milne & isabella burgess banff  (Read 3026 times)

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george milne & isabella burgess banff
« on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Any information re George Milne and Isabella Burgess married approx. 1851 botriphnie Banff would be gr8ly appreciated.  I have George dob as 1861 on birth cert but census has dob as 1862. I have 4 dif dates of their marriage in 1851. ??? Also sometimes Burgess sometimes Burges. I'm new to this and have hit a wall here.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: george milne & isabella burgess banff
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
What info do you already have & what are you looking for.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I confused my George. Firstly I have the son George Milne born 23/11/1861 Broomhill, Botriphnie - married Olivea Porter 05/06/1886 at Keith. Problem is the census all say Geo was born 1862.  There is a something written on the bottom of the birth register but I can't read it & it is dated 1862.  Secondly I have his father George Milne and mother Isabella Burgess.  On their children's birth registers I have found 4 different dates for their marriage and Burgess varies to Burges.  I'm new to this and it feels like I am confusing another family with Geo & Isabella.
Maybe spelling errors? Maybe the father was asked the marriage date for the children's birth reg and he couldn't remember? Oops

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
OK.Firstly the census gives an age not a DOB.As he was born Nov.1861 in April 1871 he would be 9,this would be transcribed online as having a birth year of 1862.
The various spellings are usually down to whoever was writing down the details,with high illiteracy many people couldn't tell the difference.This is the reason that names with the same origin are spelled differently today.
I can't say at present why the marriage dates differ.Can you tell us what they are & where they married.

jim
Edit:There's just 1 marriage of a George Milne Banffshire & that's June 22 1854 & it wasn't to an Isabella Burges(s).
It may be they never married & that's why the dates differ.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
To be very sexist, I bet the father registered these post 1854 births! It is not uncommon for men to forget the exact date of their marriage  :o. I have found many examples where different dates are given in the course of registering a number of children. I have never found an inaccuracy when the mother registered a birth, but not so many (legitimate) births were registered by mothers. If the marriage is recorded in the parish register it will solve the mystery, although it is often just the date of contract given there, with the marriage itself being within forty days.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
P.S. I have Botriphnie Burgesses amongst my ancestors, so if you get them back to the 18th or early 19th centuries, I may have information to help you.

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  That clears up re: George born 1861 and the spelling of Burges/s.
I have marriage George Milne, Botriphnie & Isabel Burges, Glass in Glass on 01/08/1851.  This is the only marriage I could find. It was transcribed at Isabel Buyer.

Children
John b:25/11/1851 in Forhend? Botriphnie (not sure as he then disappeared)
James b:11/11/1854 in ??? Botriphnie (son James as witness on both parents death reg)
Ann b:13/08/1855 in Broomhill Botriphnie
Isabella b:10/07/1857 Broomhill Botriphnie
Helen b:08/12/1859 Broomhill Botriphnie
George b: 23/11/1861  "           "
Alexander b:15/02/1864 "          "
Peter b:01/04/1866  "      "
Margaret b:16/06/1868  "      "
Jessie b:01/08/1870      "     "
Mary b:31/08/1875   "   "

Marriage dates/places as on the children's birth reg
George's reg    1851 Botriphnie
Alexander's      Sept 6th 1852 Glass
Peter's            Sept 6th 1852 Botriphnie
Margaret's      Sept 15th 1850 Botriphnie
Jessie's           Sept 12th 1852 Botriphnie
Mary's            Sept 15th 1851 Botriphnie

Confusion reigns !

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I know about this Burgess family, though so far I have not been able to connect them to mine. Both families originated in the same area of the parish of Mortlach, so it seems likely that they are related, but proving it is a different matter.

Isabella Burgess was the daughter of Alexander Burgess and Anne Stewart, granddaughter of James Burgess and Margaret Green, and I think great-granddaughter of Alexander Burgess and Isabella MacInnes.

George Milne's parents were Peter Milne and Jane/Jean Moggach.

I have a tree of almost 4000 descendants and relatives, though I can't swear that there are no duplicates in it.

I think John's birthplace was Torhead, and James' was Tollbar, but I could have misread either or both.

As Jim1 says, the census does not record the DoB, but the age. As the census is usually taken about a quarter of the way into the year, around the beginning of April, three out of four people have yet to have that calendar year's birthday, so using the census age to 'calculate' the DoB gives a wrong result three times out of four, even if the age is correctly stated.

Also don't pay any attention to the spelling. There was no such thing as 'correct' spelling until the early 20th century, and names were written down as the parish clerk thought fit at the time.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marharvard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 12 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you so much.  That has confirmed my findings - Isabella's parents and george's parents.  Although the Jean/Jane was confusing me as well.  Thanks for "Torhead" & "Tollbar" i couldn't read this on their birth reg.  To save myself a lot of confusion I will now ignore the DOB on census. Now I can move forward ! or should I say backwards  ;D