Author Topic: William GOODALL (1809-1885) and Helen BALDOCK (1811-1895)  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Australia Bound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William GOODALL (1809-1885) and Helen BALDOCK (1811-1895)
« on: Sunday 25 November 12 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Any information on the family of William (born in Willey, Shrewsbury, England,) and Helen (born in Edinburgh, Scotland) - both Tasmanian convicts who eventually settled in the Warrnambool area of Victoria, Australia.

AB

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William GOODALL (1809-1885) and Helen BALDOCK (1811-1895)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 12 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Ancestry has a  number of family trees mapping out William Goodall and Ellen Baldock, including all children born to this couple.

William arrived via 'Lady Harewood' transported for life July  1828 .
served 12 years upon Conditional Pardon.

Married Cambelltown TAS October 1836

PROV has a will and probate digitised.
Occupation was farmer at death.
probated to Ellen and Thomas Goodall March 1885. Search via name, click on links and download of original copies.

TROVE may have references to family in Warrnambool area.

Tasmania archives also has good links to convict details, including permission to marry registers.

Were you  searching for more specific information not yet known on ancestry?

Cheers
Eileen
Bronstein - Ukraine & Paris
Luscombe  - Devon & Australia
Horner -  Potterspury NorthHamptonshire & Warwickshire
Moss  -    Cumberland & Australia
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany
Percy - Sussex
Felton - Northumberland
Parris -Dorset
Stier - Australia & Germany
La Zouche -UK
Holland -Lancashire
Segrave
Longaspee
Stanley - Lancashire
Goushill -Nottingshire
Mandeville - Essex
Fitz Allen - Sussex
Salmesbury - Lancashire
Stutteridge

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 12 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi AB
I wonder if you could let us know exactly what information you are particularly seeking.

Perhaps you already have some details and it would not be helpful for searchers to present them again.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 12 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Not everyone has access to Ancestry ::)

May I suggest you have a browse through the Resources Board for Australia and each State individually.    I treat online trees with caution unless well referenced and all sources noted.  So many are simply copied and pasted, errors included.

To start your research you can search for Tasmanian information including links to digitised convict records here
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=5

The Tasmanian bdm's are not online although there are transcribed records on the above link.

From my resource with references

Marriage
GOODALL William
BALDOCK Ellen
3 Oct 1836
Registered at Campbell Town   Reg#3579/1836

Baptisms
GOODALL Susan
Father William  Mother Ellen
18 Dec 1837 at Campbell Town  Reg#9040/1838

GOODALL Edward
11 Nov 1839 at Campbell Town  Reg#1126/1840

GOODALL John
Father William Mother Ellen
15 Mar 1842 at Launceston  Reg#1916/1842

Birth
GOODALL William
Father William  Mother Ellen BALDOCK
5 May 1846 at Launceston  Reg#1264/1846

The following baptism appears to have been transcribed twice

GOODALL Thomas
At Warrnambool  1852  Reg#11450
Denomination Methodist/Wesleyan  Parish Belfast [Port Fairy]  Fiche#235

GOODALL Thomas
At Warrnambool  1852 Reg#33106  
Denomination Methodist/Wesleyan  Parish Warrnambool  Fiche#474

Civil Reg commenced Jul 1853 in Victoria - records are online, free to search but pay to view.
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

From my resource -

Birth
GOODALL Edwin
At Wangoom 1855  Reg#8087

Deaths
GOODALL Susan
1878  40 years  Born Tasmania  Reg#7163

Buried at Warrnambool Cemetery
GOODALL, Susan  Born 1838  Died 27 May 1878  40 years

GOODALL William
Father John  Mother Elizabeth GETHING
At Warrnambool 74 years  1885  Reg#3769

GOODALL William  Born c1811  Died 12 Jan 1885  74 years
Husband of Ellen.  Died Wanstead Farm

Link to PROV Wills Index
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

GOODALL Ellen
Father Baldock John  Mother: Eleanor
At Warrnambool 1895 84 years  Reg#11447

GOODALL Ellen Born c1811  Died 16 Jul 1895  84 years        
Wife of William  Died Wanstead Farm

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Ancestry is available on a 14 day free trial and most major genealogical  libraries will have free access for patrons.

Another child born to William and Ellen was Henry born 1848 Warracknabeal died 1885 New Zealand.
All children of this couple are verified on ancestry family trees, you will also find lovely photos of your William and Ellen in later years.

Cando, I am able to access most full  TAS BDM's up to 1900'  if you require specific information re place of marriage and death, occupations, cause of deaths, witness to marriages etc let me know.

Regards
Eileen
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany
Percy - Sussex
Felton - Northumberland
Parris -Dorset
La Zouche -UK
Holland -Lancashire
Segrave
Longaspee
Stanley - Lancashire
Goushill -Nottingshire
Mandeville - Essex
Fitz Allen - Sussex
Salmesbury - Lancashire
Stutteridge

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Ancestry is available on a 14 day free trial and most major genealogical  libraries will have free access for patrons.

Another child born to William and Ellen was Henry born 1848 Warracknabeal died 1885 New Zealand.
All children of this couple are verified on ancestry family trees, you will also find lovely photos of your William and Ellen in later years.

Cando, I am able to access most full TAS BDM's up to 1900'  if you require specific information re place of marriage and death, occupations, cause of deaths, witness to marriages etc let me know.

Regards
Eileen

Hi Eileen

Knowing Cando as an old (in the nicest way :)) member of the forum, she probably won't need further access to Ancestry records then she already has. She, like many here,  uses original indexes in conjunction with  full access to the Ancestry files .

There is quite a trend lately to call  " family history research" something  which one has found on ancestry .

Compounded errors are now beginning to prevail because of  the copying of one tree to another and many of these come from Ancestry and, on close examination, many assertions of relationship do not hold up.

Anyhow, we can all wait now for A B to let us know where his searching has got him to date. ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Cando, I am able to access most full TAS BDM's up to 1900'  if you require specific information re place of marriage and death, occupations, cause of deaths, witness to marriages etc let me know.

Regards
Eileen

Hi Eileen

Knowing Cando as an old (in the nicest way :)) member of the forum, she probably won't need further access to Ancestry records then she already has. She, like many here,  uses original indexes in conjunction with  full access to the Ancestry files .

There is quite a trend lately to call  " family history research" something  which one has found on ancestry .

Compounded errors are now beginning to prevail because of  the copying of one tree to another and many of these come from Ancestry and, on close examination, many assertions of relationship do not hold up.

Anyhow, we can all wait now for A B to let us know where his searching has got him to date. ;D

Sue

Hi Sue,   

Too right  :D.

You misread my post, I have advised that I have full access to TAS BDM records, not to be confused  with one the   indexes that only contain partial information of BDM up to 1900 in Tasmania. 
I am happy to share with newer researchers to help anyone who requires further information from TAS archives, may as well save money from paying for information where possible.  It concerns me that many people are paying for  and receiving incorrect information, sourced from dubious trees  from ancestry.
I would not dream of charging my private clients for any research or information unless they are entirely happy with results and I am 100 percent happy with all data verification.
 :)
Cheers
Eileen
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany
Percy - Sussex
Felton - Northumberland
Parris -Dorset
La Zouche -UK
Holland -Lancashire
Segrave
Longaspee
Stanley - Lancashire
Goushill -Nottingshire
Mandeville - Essex
Fitz Allen - Sussex
Salmesbury - Lancashire
Stutteridge

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Cando, I am able to access most full  TAS BDM's up to 1900'  if you require specific information re place of marriage and death, occupations, cause of deaths, witness to marriages etc let me know.

Regards
Eileen

Ancestry have purchased many Australian records which are available freely from other sources. 

Thank you but I don't require information from the Tasmanian bdm's.

I would suggest the compiler/s of the family tree/s read a little about the development and history of the Colony of Victoria and refer to the abbreviations of Victorian towns on the Victorian BDM indexes. 

Baptism - variation of the spelling of GOODALL.
GODDALL Henry
Father William  Mother Helen
Birth place - Warrnambool [WARR] 1849  Reg#8594
Denomination Presbyterian  Parish Pyrenees and Port Fairy  Fiche#170

I would not dream of charging my private clients for any research or information unless they are entirely happy with results and I am 100 percent happy with all data verification.

Your clients may be 'happy' but how would your clients know there are errors such as a place of birth?  There is an error with Henry's place of birth.  I wonder if the author of the tree bothered to purchase any certificates.   Perhaps I am too particular but I don't subscribe to the advertising slogan 'you don't have to know what you are looking for, you just have to start looking' ::)

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Regards
Eileen

Ancestry have purchased many Australian records which are available freely from other sources. 

Thank you but I don't require information from the Tasmanian bdm's.

I would suggest the compiler/s of the family tree/s read a little about the development and history of the Colony of Victoria and refer to the abbreviations of Victorian towns on the Victorian BDM indexes. 

Baptism - variation of the spelling of GOODALL.
GODDALL Henry
Father William  Mother Helen
Birth place - Warrnambool [WARR] 1849  Reg#8594
Denomination Presbyterian  Parish Pyrenees and Port Fairy  Fiche#170

Your clients may be 'happy' but how would your clients know there are errors such as a place of birth?  There is an error with Henry's place of birth.  I wonder if the author of the tree bothered to purchase any certificates.   Perhaps I am too particular but I don't subscribe to the advertising slogan 'you don't have to know what you are looking for, you just have to start looking' ::)

Cheers
Cando

;D ;D ;D

Goodness me,  did someone get out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

Have a great day.

Cheers
Eileen
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany