Author Topic: Daniel boyd  (Read 13885 times)

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel boyd
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 February 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone knowledge of this Daniel Boyd, married to Jane White.

William Boyd

Subject: [IRL-ANTRIM] Daniel A. Boyd and Jane White of Co. antrim
 To: irl-antrim@rootsweb.com>
 Message-ID:
 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Recently I was given a Boyd family of County Antrim that started with

Daniel A. BOYD
 b. 23 Feb 1799, County Antrim, N. Ireland
 d. 18 May 1878, Andover, Allegany, New York
 ado.
& Jane WHITE
 b. 27 Jan 1801, County Antrim, N. Ireland
 d. 18 Feb 1881, Andover, Allegany, New York
 ado.
 m.
 Daniel BOYD
 b. 12 Aug 1844, County Antrim, N. Ireland
 d. 8 Jan 1894, Andover, Allegany, NY
 ado.
& Jennie Clisdell WHITE
 b. 4 Aug 1849, South Howard, Steuben, New York
 d. 8 Jan 1900, Andover, Allegany Co, NY
 ado.
 m. 8 Oct 1868, NY

There was no location within County Antrim given or know for this family.
 Do any members know of this Boyd and White family?

I would also assume that Daniel Boyd, the son, from his date of birth, was
 the younger half of this family.

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 July 16 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
   It has been a while since I have posted on this Daniel Boyd b/1799, County Antrim, Ireland.  One huge item I failed to mention.  I strongly feel this Daniel Boyd is somehow related to our Boyds of New Windsor, NY., and this is why. 
   In my family line. one Robert R. Boyd, b/1771, New Windsor, NY, who had a son, Robert R. Boyd b/ about 1818, in New York.  Just about the same time, these two families (Robert Boyd and Daniel Boyd) moved to Andover, Allegany County, NY.  In 1865, according to an agricultural report, Robert R. Boyd Jr. and Daniel Boyd, b/ 1799, in Ireland, living with wife Jane, 1802, were neighbors.  There was just one farm between their two farms.  Coincidence, possible, but I truly feel this Daniel Boyd is a cousin of our Boyd's of New Windsor. 
   Finding his father, would probably lead us to locating our missing father to our siblings from New Windsor, NY.
   We have positive proof, our family has left a footprint in Ballyhalbert, County Down, Ireland.  We can match several baptismal records to children of the siblings.  We also have a church record from Little Britain, Orange County, NY, where one sibling (Robert Boyd), gave his birth location as Ballyhalbert, Ireland.
   If anyone is related to this Daniel Boyd or any of the Boyds from New Windsor, please reply.

William Boyd

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 July 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi William Boyd you say “We have positive proof, our family has left a footprint in Ballyhalbert, County Down, Ireland” i looked around briefly knowing you have Ros davies website information

The BOYD family came over from Ayrshire, Scotland with James Hamilton & Hugh Montgomery as part of the Ulster Plantation from 1606; see http://www.northdowntourism.com/Documents/Biographies.aspx ; part of the sept Clan Stewart; related to the Montgomerys   PE; MGSIIG p14  Source Ros Davies website.

1659 see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BoydKW.htm
Thomas   BOYDE   Esq.   Ballyhalbert   proprietor of Portavogie townland in 1659   SP
The civil parish name Ballyhalbert is aka St Andrews, alias Ballyhalbert.
The district as used in census appears to be different to the townlands in the civil parish

1834 Tithe-Applotment-Books extremely selective
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/ballyhalbert-parish.php#.V39Qd1eoc5Q
Boyd, Margaret Townland: Ballyfrench Year: 1834
Ballyfrench townland it’s the neighbouring southern townland to Ballyhalbert Townland and village. When she died that was the end of the Boyds in Ballyfrench

1863  Griffith valuation  see www.askaboutireland.com doesn’t include the poorest people
Boyd   William   Ballyhalbert   Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down
Boyd   William   Ballyesborough   Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down
Boyd   Mary   Portavogie   Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down
Boyd   James   Glastry      Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down ie Inishargy civil parish
Boyd   Hugh   Glastry      Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down ie Inishargy civil parish
Boyd   Charles   Glastry      Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down ie Inishargy civil parish
Boyd   John   Glastry      Ballyhalbert alias St. Andrew   Down ie Inishargy civil parish
Inishargy civil parish is to the west and north of Ballyhalbert

I will follow on shortly BallyaltikilliganG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 July 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi William again,
1901 census
Townlands/Streets in Ballyhalbert District (Down) in the 1901 census in ‘Bold’ with any relevant entry from the census for boyd included under the townland
Ballycasborough as in civil parish aka Ballyesborough?
Ballycranmore in Ardkeen civil parish
Ballyfrench as in civil parish
Ballygraffin as in civil parish
Ballyhalbut {I think transcription error and means Ballyhalbert}
49 in Ballyhalbut (Ballyhalbert, Down) 1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
Boyd  David 42Male Brother Presbyterian  Ballyhalbert, Co Down  Sailor  Cant read Widower  -
Boyd  James  38  Male  Head of Family  Presbyterian  Ballyhalbert, Co Down  Farm Labourer Married 
Boyd  Alas  [Alice] 42  Female  Wife  Presbyterian  Ballyhalbert, Co Down  Flower  Cant read  Married 
Boyd  James  15  Male  Son  Presbyterian  Ballyhalbert, Co Down  Farm Labourer     
Boyd  David  12  Male  Son  Presbyterian  Ballyhalbert, Co Down  At School
Boyd  David H  11  Male  Nephew  Presbyterian  Portrush, Co Down
Boyd  William  7  Male  Nephew  Presbyterian  Portrush, Co Antrim  At School
Ballyhallurt {I think transcription error and means Ballyhalbert}
4 in Ballyhallurt (Ballyhalbert, Down) 1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
Boyd Robert 64 Male Boarder Presbytarian Down Farm Labourer  Widower -
Young William 50 Male Head of Family Presbytarian Down Sailor  Married -
Young Mary 46 Female Wife Presbyterian Down Sailor  Married -
Young Charles 24 Male Son Presbyterian Down Farm Labourer  Not Married -
Young Hugh 16 Male Son Presbyterian Down Farm Labourer  Not Married -
Young Lizzie 11 Female Daughter Presbyterian Down Scholar  Not Married
Ballyhimlin as in civil parish aka Ballyhemlin
Ballylimp reassigned from Ballywalter parish to Inishargy between 1851 and 1961
Echlinville as in civil parish
Portavogue as in civil parish aka Portavogie
33 in Portavogue (Ballyhalbert, Down) 1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
Boyd David 50 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Co Down Farmer  Married
Boyd Eliza 51 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Down Farmer Wife  Married
Boyd Mary 17 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Farmer's Daughter 
Boyd Annie 15 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Scholar 
Boyd Nanny 52 Female Sister Presbyterian Co Down Farmers Sister  Not Married -
Roddans as in civil parish

By 1911, the population further diminishes from 13 to 8 inc just born Mary Agnes.

Many other civil church and other records exist eg

Boyd manuscript family tree exist, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.. Visit if you can, give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  Possibly out of date “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
BOYD  Vol 4p54, Vol 6p54 Glastry, Vol 10p93, Vol 11N, Vol 17 Glastry, Vol 20, Vol 91
owever if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.
Hoping in this is ia piece of new information for you
good luck, Bally...G
worldwide

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 July 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bally G for all your information.  We will go over what you sent in hopes we do find something new.

Here is another interesting tidbit that may also be of interest. 

The Boyd's of Middletown, NY, its elder Boyd was named Robert Boyd.  He was probably born in Scotland, then moved to Northern Ireland, possibly Belfast, before coming to America, first arriving in Philadelphia, then settling in Middletown, NY.  In Middletown, he lost his entire family, except one daughter, to illness.  He then moved to New Windsor.  Why New Windsor?  Was it because he was related in some way to our New Windsor Boyds? 
   In New Windsor, he married Sarah Lyons Hunter, widow of Robert Hunter.  Turns out, Sarah was the sister to a Mary Lyons, wife of Samuel Boyd of our New Windsor Boyds.  Samuel was born in 1734, Ballyhalbert, Ireland.  He was the son of James Boyd, b/ about 1705, either Scotland or Ireland, my 5x great grandfather.  So was this Robert Boyd, a cousin to our New Windsor Boyds.
   Now we know that many Boyds immigrated to Ireland in the early 1600s.  Some received lands from Montgomery, and others from Hamilton.  It was possible, cousins were given lands in different Counties, and some even reconnected when they moved to America.

I believe that Daniel Boyd of Antrim, Robert Boyd from Belfast, and the New Windsor Boyd, are all related.  When and if we can locate one of the fathers of these three Boyd families, we will unravel a huge Boyd Clan. 
   This is just an opinion at this point, but I sure feel fairly strong about the possible connections.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 July 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
You are doing more than most to secure your ancestry as far as it can be traced. Well done. Sometime  when too many brickwalls surround you, you should relax into the" its time for others to take over."   Sooner or later someone will find one further pip and be amazed at how far you got. All that of course hasnt happened to me aged 81 so perhaps the answer is never give up, it keeps the brain active and is more useful than crosswords and more satisfying.  Good luck  Bally....G
worldwide

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 July 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Bally G.
   Thank You for the kind words, but it is not just me.  We have a team of about 8 to 10 members, all very good in their research.  A few have written books, and out contact in Ireland has over 46 years of research experience. 
   Mike Boyd from Australia is also onboard with us and keeping us focused on our goals so we do not wondering off too bad.  He has the toughest job.  We feed off each other, it is amazing when one member finds a small clue, how much information this team can generate from a small clue.
   If anyone has Boyd kin from County Down, there is a good chance we can help.
   Thanks again Bally G, I hope to keep in touch with anything we may find of importance.

If there is any Keown-Boyd families out there, contact us as we have seemed to unraveled  their family in County Down. 

billyb

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 September 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I read with interest of the Boyd Manuscripts. Has anyone every seen these or ordered these?
David Boyd of Kilkeel is my GGG Grandfather and he married a Margaret Blackwood sometime before 1800.
I wonder if it's worth trying to get a copy to see if his family tree is listed in these manuscripts?

Thanks
Babzi
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline hughtc1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 June 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Daniel Boyd my father, Seventh son of Admiral Boyd, Cushendale, Co Antrim, born 22nd of June 1754, married about the year 1775, Catherine Ann, Burgess of Mayo, Drown 5th December 1785, aged 31 years, Stewart Boyd, 2 City Quay, Dublin 1840,