Author Topic: Daniel boyd  (Read 13909 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel boyd
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »
The years and the father all fit but I don't really think my John is a brother to your Daniel. Maybe a cousin. You see, when Samuel was writing to his daughter Margaret in Co. Antrim in 1841 and 1847, he names each sibling and tells her what each one is doing. There is no Daniel mentioned.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the baptisms of any of my Samuel's children, even my gg grandmother Susan or her sister Jane, for whom I do have the exact dates of birth in Oxford. I have come to think they belonged to a non-conformist religion for which the records cannot be found. In Canada, they belonged to the Disciples of Christ and I am still searching for those records although I think I am making progress. I have found a lady who goes to the Archives for the Disciples. I am trying to find Samuel's date of death in Canada. I know the town and county. I didn't find Samuel's birth although I know it was Co. Antrim about 1780 as was Mary Lawson's dob as well. Thanks for the reply
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline greeneyesgudge

• RootsChat Senior
  • cushty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 January 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thats a shame ...i guess daniels parents will remain a mystery for me ,i find i get to ireland and come to a brick wall ....after that ,its the same with 3 sets of families the moores the lackeys and the cleggs all originate from ireland from what ive found on english census records but then i cant track any baptisams down for them because there is so many with the same name .and lack of records pre 1800 century .goodluck with your hunting .
goodchild,gray,pitcher,popejoy,page,paul,edmonds,norris quatreman,gutteridge..wycombe birmingham .lazarus john francis india ,garrood,flick essex burnham ,Gudge surry n dorset ,alderton walton on thames an hampshire  kezia stapley frensham surry  ,holcroft bishopsgate manchester,matilda moxham jefferys bermondsey charles coates suffolk n cobham surry,mary white ripley surrey .turner suffolk .Fox n bruckshaw manchester ireland .clegg lancashire and moore ireland ,joseph clegg manchester

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 February 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Greeneyes,
   I see that this Daniel A.  Boyd has a distant match with my DNA.  The match is at the 25 marker, with one genetic hiccup.
   We left Ireland from County Down, mid 1750s, and settled in New Windsor, NY.  In County Down, we have baptismal records of some kin in Ballyhalbert, and we also believe that we lived in County Antrim before the 1700s. 
   Our family is titled "Boyds of New Windsor, NY" by William P. Boyd, in his book.  My branch of that family traveled to western Ny about 1790 and landed in Phelps, Ontario county, Ny about 1790.
  I see Daniel's wife is buried in next county over, which is Stueben.  Possibly your family traveled to Stueben, NY knowing kin was in that area.
  We have a family research team in place, with two members right in Ireland.  We probably will research your Daniel Boyd, as if we can go back with his family, maybe we can find our branch.  So have you made any further gains on this Daniel Boyd, where in Antrim County did he live, or anything at all that may help.

William Boyd

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
To give you the flavor of a Co Down website which includes many Cleggs etc
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BoydAJ.htm
D. BOYD . Dromore died in 1st World War War Memorial
Rev. D. BOYD . Newry officiated at wedding at St. Mary's Church of Ireland 21 Oct 1845 AG
Daniel BOYD . Drumgooland of Cloughskelt; will probated 1773 IIW V4 p14
Daniel BOYD . Holywood of Ballycultra; leased a house & yard with George Jenkinson in 1863 from Board of Admiralty GV
Daniel BOYD . Holywood of Sydenham Cottage, Strandtown; leased the house & 1 acre in 1863 from Henry Nicol GV
Daniel Lilly BOYD . Knockbreda his son William died 11 Apr 1849 aged one; buried old Breda graveyard MIs
Daniel BOYD . Knockbreda regd. Ballymacarrett; husband of Jane Coffey; father of Daniel b. 8 Aug 1868 CR
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply and the website.  We are familiar with Ros Davies.  We are  unscrambled several Boyd line in County Down and have some of our work posted by Mike Boyd, of the Boyd World Project, as he checks in on us daily.  About 9 of us are on this team, two of which are genealogists, and some have worked on the World Project. 
  the rest have have at least several years of experience or more, and one has as much as 26 years experience.
    I will send this information you sent out, to the others in the morning.  We will probably get started on it soon as now we have a couple of other leads we are working on now.  I will get back to you with anything we find, or if we have any questions. 
   We are looking for the father of these siblings, and by Scottish naming practices, his name should be Samuel, who was still alive as of 1757.  One sibling stayed behind, his name was David, and was born about 1710.
   If you have any further questions, just ask.  If there is anyone else wishing to give information, regarding Daniel A, Boyd b: 1799, please respond.

Thank you all.

William Boyd

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I want to be sure we are searching for the same Daniel A. Boyd.  The below David Boyd, b: 1799, is also listed in "find a grave", and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, along with his wife Jane.  In a 1870 census, this family is joined by a Ruth Boyd, b: about 1791.  This Ruth is listed on "find a grave", as Daniel's sister.  But I suspect she is a sister in-law as there was a child in this census that I suspect may have been daughter to Ruth.
  In a later cencus, Ruth is listed as a sister-in-law.
  I then did a search on Ruth, and she appears with her family, with several children.  The two eldest sons are Thomas 22, and David 20.
   Scot naming patterns means that Ruth may have been married to a David, who's father was Thomas.  So I suspect Daniel A. Boyd has a brother named David, and their father is William.

If you do not have this information, I can start forwarding it to you. 
   So again, is Daniel A. Boyd, b1799 the correct Daniel boyd you are searching for.
   By the way, their graves state they were born in County Antrim.

William Boyd

Daniel Boyd

United States Census, 1860

Name: Daniel Boyd 
Event Type: Census 
Event Year: 1860 
Event Place: Greenwood, Steuben, New York, United States 
Race: White 
Birth Year (Estimated): 1799 
Birthplace: Ireland 
Page: 16 
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) 
Affiliate Publication Number: M653 

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Daniel Boyd   M 61 Ireland
Jane Boyd   F 58 Ireland
Andrew Boyd   M 22 Ireland
Ruth Boyd   F 19 Ireland
Daniel Boyd   M 16 Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:32 GMT (UK) »
...   Scot naming patterns means that Ruth may have been married to a David, who's father was Thomas.  So I suspect Daniel A. Boyd has a brother named David, and their father is William. ...

Not sure that the bit quoted above makes sense as you seem to be saying that David's father might have been Thomas but that Daniel and David's father was possibly William  :-\

If the gravestones in America say Co. Antrim I would tend to believe that's where they came from but much of the detail posted here is for Co. Down so I'm wondering that all this information really does tie into the same family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 February 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Is this your Samuel Boyd from County Antrim.
The Father is listed as Samuel.

Mary Baptised 5th December 1787
Samuel Baptised 26th July 1789
Jane Baptised 26th July 1789.   It states that Samuel and Jane are twins.
Henry Baptised 10th June 1795
Sarah Baptised 7th June 1800.
All in the Parish of Blaris, which have town lands in County Down and County Antrim (Lisburn is in the middle) In the 1901 census of Ireland Blaris seems only to be in County Down.

There was another Samuel born in 1799, in Shankill. was this Daniel? I wonder.
It doesn't state the Mothers names but the Father was Samuel, it states he was a soldier, Was he?
The only place you will get your info is in The Records Office in Belfast.

I hope this is a help for you.
Maggsie

Offline billyb2559

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 February 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I made an error in my typing. I meant to state that the father may be a Thomas, not William.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, trouble with internet, keeps going down.  Is -20 F here today in Michigan, USA. 

Maggsie,
   Not our Samuel.  Our 4 siblings who crossed to America, were Samuel, b: abt 1695 - 1700, Robert b: 1703, James Boyd, b: abt 1705, Nathaniel, b: abt 1707, and Mary, b: abt 1710-15.
  Another brother, David, was left behind in Ireland, probably in County Down, Ballyhalbert area.  Unk birth year.  Just that he existed and he and the father of these siblings were still alive as of 1757, as so stated in will of eldest sibling, Samuel, who died in 1757.
  It is believed this family migrated from Scotland, to County Antrim, then to Down.  We know, by baptismal records of some of their children, to exist in Ballyhabert in 1730s - 1750s.
   No records of any of their births have been found, or their marriages in Ireland.  So we believe County Antrim may hold some information somewhere. 
    We are now trying to find their families through other kin, via DNA, we hope.  But my DNA does not match any Boyds at the 67 marker level.  Only one confirmed match, and that is of a Hamill family, which the two clans ran together in the 15th and 16th centuries, and earlier.
   Thanks for trying anyways, we will find them, one way or the other.  It is time for the other.

My DNA match, is for Daniel A. Boyd, b: 1799, County Antrim.  But it is a weak connection.  We do not expect to connect Daniel directly to our family, but we think by following his family, we may start to see them come together with some of the Boyds we feel we are connected to.
     The Boyds of Glastry are descendants of Col. David Boyd, direct descentant of Robert Boyd, the 5th Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock.
     By unscrambling and putting together some of these families, we can discover further brothers and sisters to other Boyd families, which help in connection other branches of Boyds.  We have done this already with County Down Boyds, and will start with some County Antrim Boyds, and some of their in-laws.  But it does help with knowledge from others who have already did some research in that area.  Maybe someone has some knowledge of a Thomas Boyd, in County Antrim area, that may have had at least two sons, Daniel b: 1799, and David, b: about 1790.
   This is just a start.  We have a hard working group, we can do this.

William Boyd