Author Topic: Daniel boyd  (Read 13906 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel boyd
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 June 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, D.2453 [part]

Genealogical notes relating to the families of Spencer of Co. Armagh, 1730-1835, Agnew of Kilwaughter, Co. Antrim, c.1200-1951, and Boyd of Co. Antrim, c.1600-1634.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 June 19 19:44 BST (UK) »

Copies of Connor and Down wills, most frequent name Boyd, also Hamilton, Catherwood, Hancock, etc. 1639-1799.  Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office  |o T. 828 (4-47) 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 June 19 19:46 BST (UK) »

Letter of Rev. G. Hill to Mrs. Boyd of Ballycastle relating to a trip to Glenshesh, Co. Antrim, Aug. 18, 1859. Notes on the Boyd family of Ballycastle, Co. Antrim c. 1700-1850.

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, D.528 (1-2)

Offline KimberlyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 July 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Martha Boyd, born February 8,1879. She married Richard Sharpe 11.11.1893 in Belfast, Gt Victoria St Presbyterian church. Both parents born in Co. Down, and until they emigrated to Canada we’re living in Belfast.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1893/10612/5866385.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ormeau/Glentoran_Street/1210410/

From the marriage information we know her father was David Boyd but other than the possibility of him being a boarder in a census report, we have no information on him. We do not know who Martha’s mother is, have been unable to locate Martha’s birth records etc.
Any assistance in how to pursue this line of inquiry regarding my family history would be greatly appreciated. Martha is my father’s grandmother, his mother was Elizabeth who later married an Englishman, Alfred Charles Andrews in Winnipeg Manitoba.
Thank you
Kimberly

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 July 19 19:25 BST (UK) »
"....born February 8,1879. She married Richard Sharpe 11.11.1893..."

So she was 14 when she married?

Cert says 20

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 July 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
If you go to  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

and do this Search you will find her very easily, only 2 results.

It will help you on How to find things rather than me just posting Cert.....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 July 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Now that you know Mother's name you can look for Marriage on same site.

This is  how to pursue this line of inquiry regarding your family history!

Offline KimberlyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 July 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share. Unfortunately neither is ‘our’ Martha Boyd. The birthdates are wrong. We have been working on finding her family for 3 years now. Researchers on Ireland Reaching Out have assisted for the past 18 months going by her year of birth we have in the family papers( putting her at approximately 14 years of age) as well as using 1873(to match her age of 20 yrs old on marriage certificate) and have finally given up. They suggested it was possible that she was illegitimate and put down any name so as not to be embarrassed. It has also been suggested I check within a variety of groups to see if any information or a family member could be located.
I will continue to pursue this search.
Thank you again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 26 July 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
Remember that most people wouldn't have been sure of their own birthdate let alone what year. My father-in-law (born pre-WWI) knew he was born in 'early January' and remembered sirens going off to celebrate end of WWI. My father's cousin, a generation later, had 3 dates of birth in the same year- 1 from his birth certificate, 1 recorded in baptismal register and 3rd one his mother used.

For reference, here's the thread on another forum where much has already been posted (saves us wasting time looking for details already found if you post links)-
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/looking-information-boydsharpe

A marriage at age 14 is more unlikely than likely. It wasn't uncommon if bride was older than husband for her to lower her age  ;) In 1901 census she's 27 but husband 28. On the marriage David Clarke & Agnes Clarke are the witnesses. Looks like this couple- David Clarke & Agnes Thompson with witnesses Richard Sharpe & Martha Boyd-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10648/5879525.pdf

Have you examined birth certificates for all of Martha's children to see if the informant might be related? and no, not everyone followed a set naming pattern (as mentioned on your other RC post)

Note: you have Martha's birthdate as 8 Feb.1879 here but 20 Feb.1878 on your other post-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=324412.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!