Author Topic: A missing Bowers (last seen: Wicken, 1847)  (Read 13500 times)

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A missing Bowers (last seen: Wicken, 1847)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
hi
A long time ago, I had a film out for Burwell, Cambridge.  I looked up my records, and following is any Henry Bowers in the records.
Buried 1807 Henry Bowers aged 2 yrs at St. Andrews the Great Cambridgeshire
Buried 1830 Henry Bowers 82 years at Wickham West
Baptised Henry R Bowers 1835 at March, Cambridgeshire. F:Zachariah, M:Sarah
Baptised Henry Bowers 1834 at HorseHeath F:Henry, M:Charlotte
Birth Henry William Bowers c1851 Burwell - died age 21 years. Son of John and Ann
1881 Census Henry Bowers b1863 Burwell and lived Ely Holy Trinity.

I do have a lot of other name records (for my family) from the film, but these are the Henry Bowers.

sabrina

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Did you find Ann Bowers in the 1851 census.  Did she marry again.

sabrina

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 12 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Did you find Ann Bowers in the 1851 census.  Did she marry again.

sabrina

Hi Sabrina, yes Ann remarried to widower Jackson Layton - i'm okay for info on them including the more recent stuff.

With regards to Matthew and any brothers, there is a Matthew Bowers, baptised with two brothers all on 8th July 1810 at Burwell. Whilst John doesn't have an age next to him (listed last, and presumably the youngest and possibly <1), Matthew is noted as 2yrs and William is noted as 4yrs. Their parents are given as John Bowers and Mary. I believe these to be John Bowers and Mary Durrant who were married in Burwell on 9th Sept 1804, after Banns (22nd July 1804).

I'm still cross-referencing the Burwell registers, against census returns to try to establish the family groups... in order to see if i can find any of my Henry Bowers living with any of these other Bowers - and if so, whether the census reveals what the relationship might be.

Fingers crossed!

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 December 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I did have the information on Matthew Bowers, but it is hard to know if the information belongs to ones family without proof.

I happened to see Ann in the 1851 census under Taylor married to Jackson Taylor instead of Layton, and wondered if you had found it.

sabrina

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I did have the information on Matthew Bowers, but it is hard to know if the information belongs to ones family without proof.

sabrina

Yes, it's a big shame about the missing 1851 census, as that's the one that would nicely tidy up a lot of the questions, and the ambiguity that the 1841 census creates.

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline maybaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 February 21 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I have Bowers ancestors too.
My great grandmother was Millicent May Bowers. You can read about her and see a photo at
https://a-little-bit-of-this.co.uk/2021/01/16/millicent-may-bowers/.  She was the second wife of my great grandfather Joseph Charles Abram and they had three children, including my grandfather my grandfather Louis Bowers Abram.
She can be found on the 1891 census living at Horringer Road, Bury St Edmunds, with her parents Henry and Eliza and four brothers and sisters.  Aged 17 she can be found at 18 Eastgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, again with Henry and Eliza.  In 1911, she can be found in Woodbridge with her sister.
Looking for Henry, I believe I have found him on the Bury St Edmunds census in 1881, Horningsheath in 1871. I am struggling with 1861, as I believe that Henry's parents were John and Elizabeth or Eliza. I may have located him on the 1851 census, again in Horningsheath but the surname is Bowars not Bowers and because I haven't found the 1851 census, I cannot be sure. Then in 1841, I have located a Henry Bowers, less than one year old, living with an Eliza Bowers and no other family members at Upstreet Green, Great Waldingfield, Sudbury, Suffolk.
I can't quite make out what is going on but maybe the information about my Henry will be useful to you.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 February 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Henry's parents were John and Elizabeth or Eliza. I may have located him on the 1851 census, again in Horningsheath but the surname is Bowars not Bowers

Is this Henry’s marriage

Henry Bowers age 32 widower , Stamford Street, carpenter
Marriage 11 Oct 1874    St John, Walham Green, Hammersmith and Fulham
Father:    John Bowers, carpenter
Spouse:    Eliza Bugg age 24 father William, labourer
One witness Susan Bowers
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maybaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 February 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, I believe that Henry may have been married first to Eliza Harris and secondly to Eliza Kezia Ann Bugg. (I am related to the second Eliza).  John Bowers I think had a wife called Elizabeth.