Author Topic: Look up in Monkton - John Lewis Born 1846  (Read 4185 times)

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up in Monkton - John Lewis Born 1846
« on: Tuesday 27 November 12 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering whether anyone can provide any history/knowledge of a John Lewis Born 1846 in Monkton, Pembrokeshire? I believe he married a Margaret Davies B1847 Pembroke Dock ( yet in one census, which one slips my mind( sorry!) his wife is listed as Elizabeth!).

I am trying to find out who his parents were and any other facts about his time in Monkton. Also who exactly his wife was as I am a bit confused.

Many thanks

Welshbear

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up in Monkton - John Lewis Born 1846
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
1851 -

John Lewis   40 b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire Laboure HMA Ward
Mary Lewis   37 b. Angle, Pembrokeshire
Lettice Lewis   dau 8 b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire
John Lewis   son 6 b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire
William Lewis   son 3 b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire
Henry Lewis   son 6 Mo b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire
George Lewis   son 4 Mo b. Monkton, Pembrokeshire

HO107 Piece 2476 Folio 585 Page 16 Monkton, Pembrokeshire.

If the above is the correct family then John's parents were John & Mary Lewis.

One of the children's birth certificate would give you the parent's names.

JJ

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
From my transcriptions of various parish registers
Monkton St Nicholas Baptism
03 June 1810 John to John & Lettice Lewis baptized
(Note this is the only child baptized at Monkton to this couple)
There is no John Lewis baptized at Monkton St Nicholas 1813 to 1837
31 Jul 1842 Lettice to John & Mary Lewis of Priory Mains a labr by Octavious Leach
16 Aug 1845 John to John & Mary Lewis Of Priory Mains a labr by Essex Holcombe
09 Jul 1848 William to John & Mary Lewis of Priory Mains a labr by W.P. Evans
10 Jul 1850 Henry to John & Mary Lewis of Monkton a Labr by Essex Holcombe

There is no George Lewis baptized to a John & Mary Lewis at Monkton St Nicholas in circa Dec 1850 to Mar 1851, the only possible is ;
21 July 1850 George to George & Ann Lewis of Bentlass a Carpenter by Essex Holcombe.
(Note George and Ann lived various at Hundleton, Bentlass and Priory Mains.)

Monkton St Nicholas Mrge
09 Aug 1812 John Lewis otp mrd Mary Phillips otp by banns in front of Thomas Dalton. Both made their mark in the presence of Daniel Harbour and Elizabeth Jones.

(Note there is no mrge of a John Lewis to either Lettice, Mary or Elizabeth at Monkton St Nicholas that could fit the family and dates of your interest).

31 Aug 1867 Hugh Hill aged 23 a bach and Labr of Monkton the son of George Hill a labourer married Letitia Lewis aged 25 a spinster of Monkton the daughter of John Lewis a labr by banns in front of  D.W. Morris. Both made their mark in the presence of Sarah (X) Griffiths and Henry (X) Lewis.

I can not currently establish a mrge for John, Wm, Henry & George in the 2nd half of the 19th century at Monkton.

Burials are a bit more difficult to be firm on, but at present I can not establish any early burials to equate to persons of your interest.
The following are included for you future consideration;
John Lewis buried 30 Jan 1873 aged 79 of Highgate by Henry S. Blink
(Highgate is in Hundleton which at this time was part of Monkton Parish).
John Lewis buried 28 Jul 1874 of Monkton aged 80 yrs by H.W. Davies
John Lewis buried 27 Oct 1884 of Monkton no age shown and buried on Coroners Certificate by David Bowen.

It does not appear that any of the children to John & Mary where buried in childhood at Monkton.

From my database and research into the last remaining headstones/Memorials of Monkton St Nicholas I can establish no connections with the family of your interest.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for information regarding Monkton burials.  I am looking for Martha Davies she died in 1925 aged 71.  She lived in Monkton all her life and never married, although she did have 3 children.  She lived in Fountain Cottage, and was a domestic servant but w don't know who for.  Can you help.

I have an E.izabeth Lewis in my family I will have to look c.loser at my records and get back to you.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I’m afraid there is no reference to the burial of a Martha Davies at Monkton St Nicholas circa 1925. Like wise I consulted my database of Pembroke St Mary and Pembroke St Michael, but again there is no listing for the burial of a Martha Davies.

P.C.C. internet Burial database does not show any reference to the burial of a Martha Davies at Llanion, St Michael’s Cemetery or Monkton New Cemetery. The nearest I have found is 1942 aged 73 yrs.

From my Monkton St Nicholas Baptism Database I note the following for your interest ;
05 May 1877 Charles to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by Henry S. Blink at a Pvte Baptism.
01 Jul 1885 Flora to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by David Bowen.
23 Mar 1880 Lydia Mary to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by David Bowen.

01 Jun 1862 Martha to James & Martha Davies of Morston a labr baptized by Jas Palmour ((No mrge reference at Monkton))
*** 21 Aug 1853 Martha to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker baptized by Essex Holcombe ((No mrge reference at Monkton))
01 Jan 1843 Martha to Evan & Sarah Davies of Dry Patch a labr baptized by Octavious Leach. ((Mrd Thomas Stephens 06 Nov 1876))

If you think there is any way I can assist further please let me know.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
My Martha Davies parents are Henry and Mary, and they had 11 children.  Martha had 3 but no father mentioned.  I wonder if she was cremated, also who did she work for as she was a domestic servant.  So if there is anybody out there that can help.  Would it help to start my own thread?  Any help would be appreciated.

Mandy ;D

I’m afraid there is no reference to the burial of a Martha Davies at Monkton St Nicholas circa 1925. Like wise I consulted my database of Pembroke St Mary and Pembroke St Michael, but again there is no listing for the burial of a Martha Davies.

P.C.C. internet Burial database does not show any reference to the burial of a Martha Davies at Llanion, St Michael’s Cemetery or Monkton New Cemetery. The nearest I have found is 1942 aged 73 yrs.

From my Monkton St Nicholas Baptism Database I note the following for your interest ;
05 May 1877 Charles to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by Henry S. Blink at a Pvte Baptism.
01 Jul 1885 Flora to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by David Bowen.
23 Mar 1880 Lydia Mary to Martha Davies a Single Woman of Monkton baptized by David Bowen.

01 Jun 1862 Martha to James & Martha Davies of Morston a labr baptized by Jas Palmour ((No mrge reference at Monkton))
*** 21 Aug 1853 Martha to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker baptized by Essex Holcombe ((No mrge reference at Monkton))
01 Jan 1843 Martha to Evan & Sarah Davies of Dry Patch a labr baptized by Octavious Leach. ((Mrd Thomas Stephens 06 Nov 1876))

If you think there is any way I can assist further please let me know.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Cremation did not begin at Parc Gwyn until circa 1968, prior to that date cremation was at Swansea.

To be doubly sure I have been back and searched my orginals of the the original parish registers, there is no reference to Martha in 1925, in fact there was only 2 burials registered as being carried out at Monkton St Nicholas in that year.

Hundleton part of Monkton Parish gained its own parish church in circa 1911, there is a possiblility she was buried there, however to date, it appears to me that Hundleton continued to use Monkton St Nicholas Parish registers for the entry of Bapt, Mrge and Burial.

What details are given on the death certificate, ofcourse whilst her death was registered in what was the old Pembroke Register Office, her burial could have been at any number of different parish churches or chapels covered by this Registration district.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for doing that, it is greatly appreciated.  I do wonder if she was burried where her parents were buried so I will have to try and find out where they were buried.  I also want to find out who she worked for, by all accounts it was a noble family, but there were alot around in those days.  I know towards the end she was a laundress, but prior to that a domestic servant.  She definately didn't want anyone to know who the father was of her children, but I am sure I have seen somewhere where she worked and it was a member of this family.  She could have been a kept mistress ooooeeeerr lol.

Cremation did not begin at Parc Gwyn until circa 1968, prior to that date cremation was at Swansea.

To be doubly sure I have been back and searched my orginals of the the original parish registers, there is no reference to Martha in 1925, in fact there was only 2 burials registered as being carried out at Monkton St Nicholas in that year.

Hundleton part of Monkton Parish gained its own parish church in circa 1911, there is a possiblility she was buried there, however to date, it appears to me that Hundleton continued to use Monkton St Nicholas Parish registers for the entry of Bapt, Mrge and Burial.

What details are given on the death certificate, ofcourse whilst her death was registered in what was the old Pembroke Register Office, her burial could have been at any number of different parish churches or chapels covered by this Registration district.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro

Offline Franticly53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I believe the John Lewis you are researching is my 3x Grt Grandfather.

He married twice, once to Elizabeth Davies, daughter of Pelham Davies and Hester Garrett. His second wife was Margaret Howells.

I am unsure whether you are still searching.