Author Topic: Fountain Inn 1841 census  (Read 1719 times)

Offline pausten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fountain Inn 1841 census
« on: Thursday 29 November 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Please can someone help me to find the entry on the 1841 census for the Fountain Inn. The address is 3 Northwick Place on the Upper Bath Road. The people I am looking for are Thomas Cole and Mary (possibly Barnes ) his "wife" . They also list their address as 15 the Arcade . This was a small lane on the site of the present St Margarets Road
I have trawled through the census for many lonely hours to no avail for both of these entries so if anyone can help I shall be extremely grateful

Peter Austen

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain Inn 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Any clue as to which town we are looking at? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pausten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 12 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to all who read this and had no idea about which town I was writing.
Its Cheltenham
I feel a bit stupid really!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I can see 6 Thomas Cole/Coles/Coyle in Cheltenham.
4 are under age; 2 are Ag Lab's.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Where did you get these indications of their address and what dates?

What family did this couple have - do you have a marriage for them at all? If so, what details of fathers, witnesses etc?

Kind regards, Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
There's a Thomas (49) - carpenter - and Mary CULL (50) with children Louisa (20), George (18) and Edwin (16) but they are in the Suffolk Road area, which is a little away from Upper Bath Rd.

HO107/353/35/ 28/12
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A couple of 1841 census references for Northwick Place, but I can`t spot Thomas Cole or a Fountain Inn.
HO107/353/12 folio 26 page 46
HO107/353/12 folio 24 page 42

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
According to the Cheltenham Gazetteer, the Fountain Inn at Northwick Place isn't mentioned anywhere until 1872 ... however there is one in the High Street earlier than that.

http://www.bgas.org.uk/code/cg_search.php?query=fountain+inn

;)

Offline pausten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 12 08:47 GMT (UK) »
First of all, thank you very much to all who responded to my cry for help, it is much appreciated.
The definite point in my research is a birth certificate for Martha Cole (My GGrandmother)  born 13 Mar 1842. Birth place given as 15 Arcade : Father ; Thomas Cole publican : Mother ; Mary Barnes Cole ,Fountain Inn Cheltenham.

Now, though I have Martha and her brother and sister showing up in the 1851 census as lodgers in Church Street, Charlton Kings , I can find no evidence of Thomas and Mary other than on the birth certificate.

Research has confirmed the existence of the inn and his landlordship, also the existence of the Arcade. BUT I cannot find any reference to them in the 1841 census. Neither does the marriage show up in BMD's. There is the possibility that, owing to her use of her maiden name as well as Cole on the BC, that they were not actually married more partners; but that is salacious supposition on my part.

At the moment this is a complete dead end which could be opened with the information on either address

Thanks again and best regards

Peter Austen