Author Topic: COMPLETED - Richard Howel Rowlands - Caernarfon Herald  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Richard Howel Rowlands - Caernarfon Herald
« on: Friday 30 November 12 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

I'm looking for any advice on where I may find out about the history of the Caernarfon Herald newspaper, and particularly my great great grandfather, Richard Howel Rowlands b.1864 (also known as Dick Herald) who was the Secretary and Cashier at the newspaper from 1885 until his death in 1903.

I have a family photo of his (rather large) funeral procession, but have not been able to find an obituary or anything else online.

I have tried to contact the newspaper directly but my emails are not getting through, I'm really keen to try and research him further, as I have never even seen a photograph of him.

Thank you,

Emma
WYNNE and HUMPHREYS - Soughton, Flintshire
LLOYD and JONES - Gwernaffield/Northop/Rhydymwyn, Flintshire
ROWLAND/S - Dinas Mawddwy/Merionethshire and Caernarfon

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Howel Rowlands - Caernarfon Herald
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cariad.bach,

Have you made an enquiry at the Gwynedd Archives on this matter?

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/plan-your-visit/gwynedd-archives-caernarfon-record-office/

I am sure that they would have some information on where you can obtain the details you seek.

Another possibility would be to write a letter to the local paper now and ask if anyone has information on Richard Rowlands.

I am sure that someone has quite a bit of information, a case of pursuing relentlessly!  :)

Jo (Another Rowlands researcher but for Bangor.)

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thanks for your reply, I am planning a visit to Caernarfon at some point - I'm hoping to tie in a visit to the archives with a bit of grave hunting!

I've managed to get a few leads from various messages and emails, and having made contact with some 'new' relatives, I have a photo that *may* be him. I'm yet to find an obit, so a way to go yet, but I love the hunt!

I'm finding that the more I dig with my Rowlands, the more I'm thinking they had some ideas about populating the world - there are an enormous amount of them   ;D

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cariad,bach,

Do you have the entries from the census returns for him?

Are there any other bits of information that might help?

Jo.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I have all his census, birth/marriage indexes and his death cert - he was only 39 when he died of a heart condition. I had been searching for an obit online, but couldn't find one, but have since found out that the Caernarfon Herald hasn't been put online, so it's the archives for me!

I'm interested in finding out more about him, even if it was just a bit about his working life through his obit - he's my gg grandfather, and it doesn't seem so long ago really in the grand scheme of things, so I was hopeful that there may be extra bits to make him more of a person to me, rather than just a set of facts.

Emma :)

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Richard Howel Rowlands - Caernarfon Herald
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I've been sent an obit now, so very happy.

Happy Christmas all  :)

Offline paula333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just read your reference to your Great-Grandfather Richard Howell Rowlands. Coincidentally, he is my Great-Grandfather too, through his daughter Annie Jane who went to Canada.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula - sorry, I've not been researching much in the last few years (I had a baby, who is now a crazy toddler), so I've only just seen your message!

I'm dipping my toe back in the Rowlands water, so I'm back again - just waiting for a post to be approved in the photography section that may be of interest to you too :)

Offline paula333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 June 19 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula - sorry, I've not been researching much in the last few years (I had a baby, who is now a crazy toddler), so I've only just seen your message!

I'm dipping my toe back in the Rowlands water, so I'm back again - just waiting for a post to be approved in the photography section that may be of interest to you too :)

Hi Emma, it is now I who must apologize, as I haven't looked at this for awhile and see you posted a reply in October, and may have a photo of interest regarding Richard Rowlands. I an advise that a few years ago we visited the Caenarvonshire and I tried to find his grave in the church yard, but it was horribly overgrown. In any event, my husband and I just did 23andMe DNA testing, so  now I'm again interested in finding out more of the genealogy story.

Paula Grahame ThirdKTHEFR