Author Topic: George and Hannah White of Tewin  (Read 2167 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George and Hannah White of Tewin
« on: Friday 30 November 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
George White died at Tewin in 1692 and his wife Hannah in 1704. George came from a landowning family from Berkshire. (His great-great-grandfather, Ralph, was the brother of Sir Thomas White who had been a Lord Mayor of London and founder of St John's College in Oxford)

I have no idea who Hannah was or when or where she and George married. I am guessing that if he moved from Berkshire, then her family would have been of a similar social status.

Any advice or suggestions on where to look for Hannah's origins would be greatly appreciated.
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline FIFTHWHEEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George and Hannah White of Tewin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

I think that this is a real long shot as the records for the 17th Century are quite sparse. On a web site that I subscribe to I searched for marriages in the name of George White between the years 1620 to 1690 and it came up with 64 records. One in particular was as follows:-

George White married Hanna Norton on the 1st May 1667 at St. James Church, Clerkenwell, London.

None of the other records listed the bride's christian name as Hannah or Hanna.

Regards,

fifthwheel
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and Hannah White of Tewin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for going to the trouble of looking - I really appreciate that.

Every search has to start somewhere, so I will certainly see if that surname gives any clues.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)