Author Topic: Jeffrey Pung Ruffell  (Read 5918 times)

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffrey Pung Ruffell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Jeffery RUFFLE senor farmer Wickham Hall, and Jeffery Junior also farmed land in the area.

Jeffery Jr died in 1757 and his estate should have passed to his son Jeffery 1743-??, but he was under 21 years old so Jeffery Sr held the estate for him.

Around 1760 a new church rector was appointed, a Rev Erskins. It appears he and the Ruffles did not get on, and very shortly afterwards there is no Ruffle on the church council at all.

Jeffery Sr died in 1763 and at this point Jeffery 1743 inherited both his late father's and his grandfather's estates. He appears to have entered a tithe war with the Rev Erskins that went on for a few years.

Jeffery eventually was taken to court over it. But as Erskins was a solicitor before he was ordained, and the case was held in the Church Court, perhaps he should have backed off.

He lost the case, and every thing he owned, household goods, farm stock etc was auctioned on the WSP village green 15 Oct 1751. From local news paper ....

To be sold on 15 Oct 1771 at Mr Potters on the green at WSP Essex - the
     house-hold effects of Jeffery Ruffle--farming stock-waggons-timber
     carriages-wheeled and foot ploughs etc-house hold furniture

I have found no further records of him after that, but his brother William is later accused by Rev Erskins of two counts of theft, for which William is found not guilty at court. William (my ancestor) moves to Sible Hedingham, with wife and family, shortly afterwards.

Within two generations this line was gone from literate yeoman farmers to illiterate ag labs.

The Rev Erskins is living in Wickham Hall, shortly after the tithe court case.

geoff
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Should have mentioned...

There are two Jeffery Ruffle Wills proved in 1763.

Jeffery Sr - died 1763 and Jeffery Jr. died 1757 but this Will held until death of Sr. as he was holding Jr.'s estate for Jeffery (lost all) Ruffle.

Hope you are able to follow all that  ???
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline epiphyas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 02:00 BST (UK) »
   Probate on the will of Jeffery the younger was dated 24 December 1765 so there was a considerable delay in proving his will after the death of his father.

Any ideas on the fate of Richard?  Do we know where he was buried or what became of
Hannah(II)?

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi epiphyas,

You are correct, Jeffery Younger's Will was proved 1765. Sorry, I am in process of swapping PCs. That was the one date I did not double check. Thanks for correcting me.

I suspect Richard was buried 25 Aug 1755 in Earls Colne. Have you seen this free site?

http://linux02.lib.cam.ac.uk/earlscolne/contents.htm

He would have been 37 years old, and Hannah 27. I assume Hannah remarried, but have no evidence of that. She was baptised June 1728 in Finchingfield, Essex daughter of Daniel & {blank} Plumb.

geoff
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline cwf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff, can I ask if you've come across a Maria Sabina Ruffell, who married a William Fison at Christchurch, Spitalfields (London) on 12th Oct 1828, by banns, in presence of Sarah Ruffell and Osbert Root? In the 1841 and subsequent censuses she is in Pampisford, Cambs, consistently born Paddington, although I have never found a record, despite much searching.
The reason I ask is that a Henry John Fison claims to be her son but consistently suggests he was born 1822 in Paddington, again no trace.
Pallot has a Heneage Ruffell, son of William and Maria, b. 1797 St. Pancras.
Best wishes, Charlie Fison.

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 May 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlie,

Sorry but I have no information on any of the people you mention. I will ask another Ruffell/Ruffle researcher if they have, as they have been researching the line for decades.

Geoff

Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
Charlie.

My friend has no details either but I had a look on Ancestry. Maria Sabina was the daughter of William & Maria Ruffell baptized St Marylebone, Westminster 20 Mar 1799 (born 14 Feb). Can PM you the link if you wish.

Also there is a document on a tree on the site - Extract of Will of William FISON, of Pampisford, Butcher died 1871 that refers to brothers Thomas Crisps FISON and Henry John BROWN his brother by half blood. Referred to in Will as "brother John". This could also be the John Brown in 1841 census with Maria Sabina.

Regards

Geoff

Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline cwf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

Many thanks, the Pampisford Fison is the right one and must come from the child of the first marriage, Henry John, probably the 1841 census John Brown, who adopted his step-father's surname. I'll see if I can find a marriage Ruffell/Brown but London was increasng in size enormously then and wading through the records (I live in London) became too much, when I last looked.

Best wishes,

Charlie.

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 May 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
If you wish to PM me an email address (don't post it here) I can send you a bit more info that I can not post due to copyright rules.

Geoff
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex