Author Topic: Rhosllanerchrugog Chapel  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhosllanerchrugog Chapel
« on: Sunday 02 December 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello
On Christmas Day 1866, my 2x great grandmother was married at the Parish Chapel in Rhosllanerchrugog.
In June, I visited Rhosllanerchrugog, and driving up a big hill and then turning left onto what I think was Church Street, across from a pub called the Black Lion, I found a gate that I thought led to the chapel.  I had been sent a photo of that gate by someone via an ancestry site but the gate this year was surrounded by fencing and construction equipment - it looked as though the church had been pulled down and that all remained was the graveyard. 

Because Margaret's family lived in Cefn Bychn, I had always wondered why she had married so far away from home and now I am thinking that she may have been married at St Johns or another church in Cefn Mawr.  Of course, I do not really understand where the boundaries are for these communities.  I did find St John's in Cefn Mawr. 

Can anyone help me come to a clearer understanding of what may have been the chapel I am looking for?

Thanks
Stormybay
Monmothshire:  HOUSE, THOMAS, EDWARDS
Somerset:  HOUSE
Norfolk:  SIMPSON, THOMPSON, GRAPES, SPOONER, LOWNE, HOOKS, FOX
Suffolk:  CADE
Essex:  UNDERWOOD, CADE, DARBY
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN
Wiltshire:  BUTT, HOUSE, GILES
Leicestershire:   GREENWAY
Denbeighshire & Shropshire:  EDWARDS, POSTLE, ROBERTS, HUMPHREYS, MORRIS
Lancashire:  BANNER, COZENS

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rhosllanerchrugog Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Rhosllanerchrugog is some four miles from Cefn Mawr where I live!Cefn Bychan otherwise known as Newbridge is an adjoining village to Cefn Mawr.I'm wondering whether the marriage could have taken place perhaps at a Chapel in Rhosymedre?Rhosymedre is again an adjoining village to Cefn Mawr.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 12 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Mr. Jones!
Yes, I am wondering the same thing.  The record clearly shows Rhosllanerchrugog - needless to say I was captured by the interesting name and have checked and rechecked.  Because it was Christmas Day and I know that Margaret was pregnant, I have thought that maybe they had to go a little further afield to find a place for the marriage. 

The marriage did not last long; they parted, and he became a Mormon, remarried and was part of what I am told was the Great Mormon Trek to Utah.  She was Margaret Postles (we have communicated before about her) and he was John Roberts, son of Thomas and Martha who lived in Acrefair.  I have been unable to find out about the end of her life, beyond the 1871 census where she returned to live with her parents and took back her maiden name.  A sad story and so I was hoping to, at least, be correct about this marriage place. 

S
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked now at the North Wales BMD and the marriage in fact took place at St John's the Parish Church of Rhosllanerchrugog.You will find a photo of the Church here;
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/rhosllannerchrugog.htm

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, William!
I followed your reference.  The picture you sent me to is, in fact, the one that I had.  So that I have the correct photo is a relief but I did not actually visit it in person.  I see that it closed in 2004.  Can you tell me if it is the one behind the stone gate on Church Street in Rhosllanerchrugog across from the Black Lion pub, then?  I have just done another tour on Google maps.  That is what I was looking for when I was there...but I never found it and so, I guess it has been demolished.   And, if that is correct, then she did go a fair distance in 1866 to get to Rhosllanerchrugog!

I think that part of my confusion comes from the fact that I found St John's Church in Rhosymedre on Church Street there and I was not thinking that there were two churches named St John's.  Did not have a computer available and so was trying to work from notes I had made, most of which proved inadequate!  Some of my people are buried in St John's churchyard in Rhosymedre. 

If I can impose on your further....you said you had the BMD records.  Could you check sometime to see if you can find a death for Margaret Postle or Possel?

Thank you so much
S

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:48 GMT (UK) »
...sorry, I just realized that I can access the BMD for North Wales - although I have not been successful, it is something I should be able to manage myself!
S

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Just to make sure;Are we talking about the Margaret Elizabeth Postles born in 1844?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 12 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Margaret, daughter of James Richard Postle(s) and Mary Richards.  He was a collier.
I posted earlier chats in which I was seeking to find out if she did have a second daughter, Alice, (1868 - 1881).  Alice appears with Martha Griffeths Roberts and her three sons in Acrefair in 1871.  In that census, Margaret is with her parents and Eunice, my gt grandmother, is with them and they are all called Postles, not Roberts.  They live in Cefn Bychn by Bell Vue (cottage?) near the Jolly and the next entry is Newbridge.  Then Margaret disappears....   In 1881, Eunice is working as a servant at Bell Vue cottage in Cefn Bychn for the Jones family (your Jones connection?)
I am still grappling with the place names but am getting clearer.
Eunice then marries Edwin Edwards of Cefn Mawr, born at New Hall Farm...etc. etc.  She is named after her aunt Eunice Postles who married Thomas Richard Parry and there is something about her selling milk on the High Street in Cefn Mawr. 
I get the sense that it is almost possible to reconstruct the villages.  It is SO GOOD to know that there are folk still there who are guardians of the past.  Thank you!!!
But my basic quest just now is what happened to Margaret Elizabeth Postles Roberts after her life fell apart.
S

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Though the Tree does not give much detail,there is one on Ancestry which states Margaret died in the Wrexham area in 1890.Have you any further info about the Emma given as a Grand-Daughter in 1871?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire