Author Topic: schoolwear  (Read 3248 times)

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
schoolwear
« on: Monday 03 December 12 08:27 GMT (UK) »
My grandson, 16, preparing to go to school on a cold day, dressed in numerous layers of warm, waterproof, clothing, reminded me that when I went to school in the 50's we were not allowed to wear long trousers until we were in the third year, ie 13 years old. I remember several occasions of tramping through the snow in wellingtons and short trousers, getting chapped where the boots rubbed my shins! Was this a general thing about trousers or was it just my school headmaster being cruel?? If so, I could claim compensation!! I also remember the agony of having to wear my sisters outgrown raincoat-the buttons were on the wrong side, and her name was still in it- oh! the humiliation!! ( the boots and short trousers mentioned above, also acted as a sort of airbrake when sliding headfirst down a hill on a tea tray- the boots scooped up the snow and slowed you down). Happy days!
Crowhurst:Brooker:Brinkhurst:Turner

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: schoolwear
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 12 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I too, had to wear knee-length short trousers until the 3rd year!

But it wasn't a rule from the school - just what my mother thought was "normal"?! :o

I'm a a bit younger than you - this would have been 1965-ish?

Can't remember if I wore short or long trousers during the 1963 winter? Plenty of sledging that winter!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »
We had the same rule at our school, and I didn't mind it one bit, because I had very sensitive skin, and when I did get to wear long trousers, they chafed my legs quite badly.  To get over the problem my mother lined the trousers with cotton, which relieved the chafing, but put me in line for a lot of jibes when we had PE and I had to change out of them.  Ahh, the delights of school days - I couldn't wait to leave !  ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
When my brother started secondary school in the early 1970's (a boarding school) he nearly refused to go because first years had to wear short trousers unless they had reached a certain height (can't remember what). Thankfully he had a growth spurt in the spring before starting, and was tall enough to wear long trousers.
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 12 12:36 GMT (UK) »
In my last year at Primary School (i.e. what would now be Year 6) one of the boys came to school in the winter wearing long trousers. This was unheard of: I can remember him being called up in front of the teacher and being accused of  'looking like a little old man'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Think it seemed to be the norm for boys having to wear short trousers. I remember one friend who had haemophilia and was told by the Dr. that he was to wear long trousers but the head refused to let him. Can just imagine the uproar that there would be today and rightly so, in his case.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Not only boys, we had to wear skirts and only knee high socks in the 1950s.  In fact in the mid 1970s I remember my daughter coming home from school - about 15 minutes walk- and her legs were really red from the cold.  She had a thick school coat on but only knee length socks - school uniform.  By then my sons were allowed to wear long trousers.  She didn't think that was at all fair.

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
My dad went to Nelson Grammar School in Lancs during WW2 and they didn't get to wear long trousers until the 6th form...his nickname was "Sparrowlegs".

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I remember going with a party from school to a play being performed at an Aberdeen school. Also attending were boys from Gordonstoun, Prince Charles among them, and we were surprised to see that they all wore shorts when our boys were in long trousers. This was in the 1960s. We'd have been about 15 or 16 at the time.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland