Author Topic: Cornelius Birch  (Read 3386 times)

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornelius Birch
« on: Monday 03 December 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have Cornelius Birch of Hereford (b. 1817 Hereford St Owen) in their tree? He's listed as my Gt Gt grandfather's father on the birth certificate, although my Gt Gt grandfather's surname is Williams (George). His mother is Caroline Williams.
I'm wondering if Cornelius was a romany gypsy. My grandmother who was descended from Cornelius was very dark skinned and we always wondered where it came from. I believe that Birch is a romany surname and Cornelius seems to be a popular romany christian name, however Cornelius seems to be settled in a house by 1841.
Also there is a Welsh connection to this family - the same grandmother was christened in Trevethin near Pontypool, I have no idea why as the family were in Hereford as far back as 1817 and my Gt grandfather had moved to Hammersmith when Nan was born.
 Any ideas?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Birch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I am a little puzzled
Cornelius Willam Birch b 1817 - father William Birch
marriage at St Owen ,Hereford in 1854 to Caroline Williams .....so Caroline Williams , the mother of George Williams / and Cornelius Birch ,the father of George Williams did eventually marry - what year was George Williams born ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
George was born in 1853, the year before Caroline and Cornelius's marriage. Caroline died the same year as her marriage. Cornelius remarried a Mary Lewis in 1862.
In the 1851 census Caroline is lodging with Cornelius (using his middle name William) along with her 12 year old daughter Elizabeth and 2 year old son Thomas. I'm not sure who their father is.
By 1861 Cornelius is living with Mary Lewis with another son Charles Birch (also b.1853). When Charles has children of his own he names his second daughter Caroline (after his Mum?).
George Williams b.1853 is living with a William & Ann Cartwright in 1871. He is listed as a relation and I believe Ann is a sister of Caroline. Her maiden name is Williams too.
In 1861 William & Ann Cartwright have another nephew Thomas Williams aged 13 living with them, I'm guessing this is Cornelius's son who was living with him and Caroline in 1851.
If it weren't for Cornelius's name as father of the bridegroom on George's marriage certificate I'd think George wasn't related to Cornelius at all. He is never actually living with him in the census returns and he has a different surname.
It's very confusing with lots of circumstantial evidence linking the family members together even if they are not all living together at the same time. I understand that the death of Caroline when the children were so young would scatter them to various female relations but it doesn't help the research at all! I cannot find George at all in the 1861 census.
Are you related in any way to this family? Thanks for the interest. Marian.

Offline Midnightsky

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you still looking into this I have some information on Cornelius Birch, I come from his son Charles line