Author Topic: Havering Well House  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Havering Well House
« on: Tuesday 04 December 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I have an original counterpart lease between Elizabeth Thomas Watson Strugnell & Edward George Thomas and Alfred Barber, dated 23 December 1899.  The lease was for Havering Well House, Hornchurch Road, Romford, and is signed by Alfred Barber.

This was found amongst my grandmother's papers, and appears to have no direct connection to her (Dorothea Fulton - born in South Africa). However she was married to a John Frederick Morris (previously known as Perrins) as well as an Frank P. Bellingan but I have not been able to find a connection there either.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me more information on Albert Barber as I would assume he is the key as it is his signature on the document.  :)

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline FIFTHWHEEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Havering Well House
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Nookie,

In the 1901 Census the property was listed as Havering Well House, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch. The occupants were listed as Alfred Barber, aged 44, born in Islington and described as a Sack and Bag Merchant and Manufacturer. His wife Mary aged 32, born in Lavenham Suffolk, together with two female servants.

Then checked the 1911 census and the house was occupied by Edmund Tanton and five other members of his family.

Regards,

fifthwheel
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  I had wondereed if the Alfred Barber was not the horticulturist in the area at the time, but could find no link there.

It is just such an honour to own a piece of history - just wish that I knew why our family had it!

Will now try and trace Alfred and Mary and their descendants.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Havering Well House + Alfred Barber
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I have run into a dead end again! 

I know that Alfred Barber was alive in 1909 living at Nelmes House, Hornchurch as he sold off a piece of land.  His wife Mary was alive in 1933 (64 years old) as she was granted freehold of 133 and 135 High Street, Stratford, Essex.  At that time she was living at Nelmes Way House, Nelm Way, Hornchurch.

I am really interested to know whether they had any children, and would appreciate it if anyone out there could please assist.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline SouthendSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Moderator comment: details from 1911 census removed in accordance with Rootschat policies, only information from the free index may be posted

Alfred died in 1934 - he left over £33,000! A lot of money then.....

Sue

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so very much.  I will now see if I can get further down this tree.  :)
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline FIFTHWHEEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Nookie,

Following on from what Sue has said I found a record of the following Marriage :-

Charles D. Barber married Dorothea Garbe in 1916 in the Romford Registration District, Volume 4A, Page 1019.

Could this possibly be the son !

Regards

fifthwheel
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I do hope it is him and that they had children .... and that the children would be interested in this counterpart lease!  Onward with the search.

Thanks for the help.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Linda Bellingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 August 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just discovered this forum and joined, correctly I hope!  Dorothea Fulton who was married to a Frank P. Bellingan appears to be someone's grandmother who had documentation referring to the Havering Well House.  My husband Terence Bellingan's father was Leslie, son of Frank Bellingan. Frank was married 3 times we think, but as Leslie was killed in Burma in 1945 when my husband was 4 we cannot find out the name of Leslie's mother.  We are hoping that a relative of Dorothea Fulton (Bellingan) may be able to help. Frank was previously married to Madge who had two children, Denzil and Wendy