Author Topic: Adams/LYCETT marriage?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Garysmissus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adams/LYCETT marriage?
« on: Tuesday 04 December 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Helping a friend with her ancestry and made an exciting discovery: Norah Adams birth registered St Helier. Jersey. Date of birth Nov 3rd 1884. Father William Adams, Commercial Traveller. Mother CARRIE LYCETT (sorry, it goes to capital letters!) Is it possible for a very kind person to see if these folk married circa 1884. Norah spent her years from age 6  (maybe earlier) to 30 with a family named Skinner in Cheltenham. I suspect a sad tale is about to unfold. Thank you so much for any snippets of information. Pauline.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adams/LYCETT marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 December 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Just to let you know that having searched every Parish record and independent church index, probably 5 years either side of 1884, I cannot find and Adams/Lycett marriage.

I did see a William Frederick Adams but on checking the certificate, he was too old, and didn't marry a Lycett!

Stewart

Offline Garysmissus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 December 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks for hunting - I have suspicions about this one! I suspect Ms LYCETT was actually already married to another gent after searching high and low for any existence of the lady as a maiden! I found a marriage registered 1q 1884 in Liverpool of a CARRIE Bovil Haworth to an Ernest William LYCETT. I know she died in Jersey too.......the plot thickens surrounding Nora Adams's birth! I'd found her birth details on Jerripedia. Back to the drawing board I fear. I'm very grateful for your help Stewart.
Kind Regards, Pauline

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 December 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thinking about it, I looked for Adams as in Jersey most people's names begin with an L (le)!! It was easier to search the A index than the L.

Do you think Ms Lycett may have married in Jersey before? I think I'll look at that next week (if I can squeeze it in before Christmas).

Stewart

Offline Garysmissus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 December 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I'd searched high and low for any CARRIE LYCETT (including weird and wonderful spellings) but found only one......in Baltimore! Then I was finding will notices and an obituary for a CARRIE B. LYCETT died St Brelade 1942. I know it's wrong to make assumptions but I honestly suspect this little girl (Nora) was born under odd circumstances due to the fact that the 1891 census has her "visiting" the Skinner ladies in Cheltenham. She is 6 years old and is with them on each census up until her marriage in 1914. No mention of her parents......and I can't find a William and CARRIE Adams anywhere either! Although there is a Carrie Adams death in Fulham in 1887 - she was 24 years old. All strange! We have the right birthdate for Nora (Nov 3 1884) from her granddaughter. I really don't know which avenue to search now....suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers, Pauline.

Offline Garysmissus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 December 12 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh.....I forgot to mention.....Nora's marriage certificate has her father's name as JAMES Adams! (deceased)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I have gone through all the Adams and/or Lycett marriages again from 1881 to 1891 and confirmed that there is nothing.

I then looked for Adams deaths 1881 to 1891 and thought I had struck gold when I found a death for a William Adams. However, when I saw the certificate I saw he was 79 years old. Not too old to father a child but unlikely!!

Two things struck me. Could Carrie be a short version of Caroline? Also, knowing from my own family tree, could WA/CL have left their child and gone to the USA/Canada/Australia/NZ? I had a similar case where they disappeared without their child.

Best of luck

Stewart

Offline Garysmissus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart, thank you for trying all routes on this one! I'm also wondering about an overseas move......as the only other CARRIE LYCETT I'd found was in the U.S. Maybe William/James Adams was originally a U.S. citizen. Heaven forbid if she was a Caroline as there are a fair few Caroline Lycetts around! I may have to concentrate solely on Nora and see if I can discover anything from Cheltenham family history folk. I'm not sure of types of record available concerning "orphans" or other unfortunate kids in those times. It's a puzzler to Nora's family as they knew nothing of her childhood. Shall get my thinking cap on over the holidays and hopefully come up with a brainwave! Many thanks for your input Stewart. I wish you a wonderful Christmas and prosperous 2013.
Kind regards, Pauline.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline

One further thing, have you noticed there is a Carry Lycett in the 1881 census?

She's a 22 year old barmaid living in Claines, Worcs. only 30 miles Cheltenham.

Might be worth looking more closely.

Thanks for your wishes, you have a good one as well.

Stewart