Author Topic: Birth John Campbell, Carradale, 1819  (Read 2547 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth John Campbell, Carradale, 1819
« on: Wednesday 05 December 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello
According to his Seaman's Ticket, my 3xggf, John Campbell, was born 14 May 1819 at Carradale, Argyll. however a check on the Scottlands People site, I have been unable to find a record.  Can anyone offer any advice/assistance thanks.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Birth John Campbell, Carradale, 1819
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, not all births were recorded in this period before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855.

Worth also noting that the records you see on Scotlands People from the Old Parish Registers are in the main from the established Church of Scotland, ie prebyterian. John's family may not have been presbyterian.

The other thing that may affect what records remain today is that over the years many registers have been lost or damaged in time.

Have you managed to find out his parents' names?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica, Many thanks your reply.  Unfortunately I haven't found who his parents were, obtaining his birth/baptismal record was the key to this.   John married at the Campbeltown parish 08 Jun 1840 to a Flora McEachen and at that time he was listed as from 'Ardnacross', Argyll.
Apparently John went to sea as a boy but he wasn't signed on as a permanent mariner and when he married, he was a 'Labourer' though by C1841 he was listed as a Merchant Seaman.  He, Flora and family moved to Sunk Island Yorkshire sometime between 1847-1851 where he was a Mariner/Coast Guard and died 24 Aug 1861, age shown as 42 years which matches birth date and census taken in April that year shows his age as 41, again a match. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Pain with the English death  :-\

Have you got their children's names, specially the early born, following their marriage? Sometimes this throws up clues.

Monica

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica ... yeah, the English death certificate doesn't help at all.
The children born to John and Flora were John 13 Feb 1841 with baptismal 22nd inst., in Campbeltown, Argyll.  then Elizabeth 1843 and Mary 1847 (both same place) and lastly Peter 1852 born Sunk Island.

I think that John & Flora may have followed the scottish traditional naming pattern for their children, John (from whom I descend) would be named after John's father:  Elizabeth, named after Flora's mother, which is correct;  Mary, named after John's mother: lastly Peter, after Flora's father, which is correct.

I have found that Peter attended the Winchester Hospital School and his application is available through the UK National Archives.  The summary shows his parents death dates and also lists his surviving siblings being John and Mary.  I doubt that I will glean much more information from this however I have ordered a copy of the file.

As a thought, maybe John was born in Carradale but baptised elsewhere, but where is anyone's guess!!!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
If it is Carradale Argyll (parish of Saddell) as opposed to Carradale, Inverness-shire (parish of Sleat), I can only see some earlier christenings to a John and Mary Campbell here www.rootschat.com/links/0sgt/

Doesn't help does it  :-\

Saw this www.geni.com/people/John-Campbell/6000000006161571944 too...but who knows how to link.

Monica

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, Thanks all your suggestions ... just my luck that I have a John Campbell from Campbeltown! :-\

By the way, thanks also your reply on my previous post of John, Flora and children at Sunk Island C1861

Anyhow, have fingers crossed that there is some information on the admission record for Peter to the Winchester School that might assist in finding his father's parents.

Thanks again :)