Author Topic: Church family of Stonham Aspal  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
Church family of Stonham Aspal
« on: Thursday 06 December 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Good morning folks
I have two Emily Church's in my tree:
Emily Church b 1877 Stonham Aspal, dau of William Church and Julia Race and
Emily Church b 1879 Stonham Aspal, dau of Charles Church and Patience Hale.

I know an Emily Church married Frederick Race in 1895 Stonham Aspal but which Emily was it?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

With many thanks

Loupy  :)
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: Church family of Stonham Aspal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census RG13/1708/167/17 shows:

Bush Cottage Mill Green, Stonham Aspall Suffolk
Frederick Race  27 ag worker
Emily Race       24
George              5
Frederick           3

So it would appear that Emily daughter of William Church and Julia Race maybe the one.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mirL for prompt response.

I, like you are "assuming" that Emily is daughter of William and Julia - that she married Frederick Race - going on the "Race" relationship, however, don't want to put the wrong Emily with her marriage and family to the wrong parents!  I do have 1901 and 1911 census for Emily, Frederick and her children but these don't give me any hints as to her parentage.

Kind regards, dilemma still in progress I think!   :-[

Loupy
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Loupy

perhaps mirl was suggesting that as Emily Race gave her age as 24 in 1901 you can reasonably assume that she was born c1877.

Unless someone has access to the PRs & can furnish you with her fathers name for the 1895 marriage a copy of the marriage certificate would help June Quarter 1895 Ref: 4a/1257

K

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
K and mirl
Thank you for your help with this.  Will try and get marr cert to verify.

Kind regards

Loupy

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Church is a very common surname in that area of Suffolk.  My own g.g. grandmother was a Church.  She was born in Mickfield, but by the age of 4 she was living in Stonham Aspall.

P.S.  Actually just checked - the William Church & Julia (nee Race) being discussed here are my g.g. uncle and g.g. aunt  8)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nick - I think I have now solved this.

Emily Church (dau of William Church and Julia Race) married Frederick Race.  Emily Patience Church married George Warinton! 

I come into the Church line through the Andrews family of Suffolk.  Elizabeth Andrews b 1822 m William Church b 1814.

Loupy  :D

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 December 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
There are at least two Church families in Stonham Aspall in the 1800s.  There are at least 10 Ancestry trees featuring Emily Church, and many disagree with each other - I won't say they are 'wrong', because I'm still a little confused myself.  The Church family was very large, and had branches in Mickfield, Swilland, Eye, Crowfield, Gosbeck, Stradbroke and Weybread.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mthomason

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

As a descendant of the Churches myself (Elsie May, another daughter of William+Julia - it seems they had ten children in all!, would have been my great-grandmother) I also show "our" Emily marrying Frederick Race, and they also had a third child Hilda Muriel b. Jul-Sept 1899.