Author Topic: Marriage of Giffen and McIlwain, Carnmoney  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage of Giffen and McIlwain, Carnmoney
« on: Thursday 06 December 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Today, I read the will of William Finlay Giffen, wife Jane Fee, and he died in 1876 in Ballyhenry. In the will he names a nephew Samuel Giffen McIlwain wife a wife Margaret. So I looked at all of William's sisters to see which one could have married a McIlwain. There is Jane, Margaret Ann, and Agnes.  Then I looked at the Carnmoney baptisms and in 1848, I found the baptism of a Janet Bigger McIlwaine, with parents James McIlwaine and Agnes Giffen. So I am thinking it was his sister Agnes married to James McIlwaine.  I did not find the baptims of a Samuel Giffen McIlwain but there are big gaps in the baptisms for Carnmoney Parish.  Can anyone confirm the parents of Samuel Giffen McIlwain or the marriage of James McIlwain and Agnes Giffen. Agnes was born 1801 so marriage likely about 1820-1830 in Carnmoney. Thanks so much for any help.
William also named another nephew William Giffen Kennedy. So if Agnes married McIlwain, that leaves Jane or Margaret Ann to marry a Kennedy.
Any help appreciated.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Giffen and McIlwain, Carnmoney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Carnmoney Presbyterian Church also has a baptism for William F. Giffin McIlwaine in 1836.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,521542.10.html

Did Samuel Giffen McIlwaine marry? If so, marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation.

See www.proni.gov.uk-
"Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Samuel Giffen M'Ilwaine late of Glynn View Villas Larne County Antrim Retired Farmer who died 29 February 1884 at same place were granted at Belfast to Margaret M'Ilwaine of Glynn View Villas Larne the Widow."

Possibly Samuel's widow?
"The Will of Margaret M'Ilwaine late of Jordanstown County Antrim Widow who died 4 November 1884 at same place was proved at Belfast by Thomas Smyth of Dunaney Richard Dawson Boyd (Junior) of Cloughfern and Hugh Smyth of Dunaney all in said County Farmers the Executors."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 12 01:06 GMT (UK) »
thank you, aghadowey. I had missed the baptism of William McIlwaine in 1836. At the time that William Finlay Giffen wrote his will in 1876, his nephew Samuel Giffen McIlwain and wife Margaret were living in Ballyduff. After I received your reply, I went to familysearch to search for Samuel Giffen McIlwaine with parents James and Agnes (I had done so before) but this time, up came a tree for Samuel with parents James and Agnes. So I went to the tree and got all excited as it had her parents correct and a date of marriage of 1835. Looking good. And I clicked on Samuel's name, and it had wife Margaret Boyd. More excitement, as it is really the Boyd family that I am basically researching. Then I clicked on Margaret's name and it had her born in 1400, daughter of Thomas Boyd. How can that be? Samuel is born after 1835 (marriage date of parents) and his wife is born 1400???? so I went to Proni to look at Samuel's will and it may be the right one but there are no images. The place of residence is not Ballyduff but they could have moved or maybe Glynn View Villas Larne is in Ballyduff - I don't know. So I went to Margaret's will, and it does say that her maiden name is Boyd. Margaret mentions her sister Sarah Elizabeth Smyth nee Boyd as well as other Boyd siblings. The earlier will that I had found for William Finlay Giffen had also mentioned Elizabeth Smyth and her husband William,so I think this is the correct Margaret McIlwaine. Too bad there are no images for Samuel's will.  In Margaret's will, she says that she is entitled to a portion of an insurance policy via the will of Samuel Giffen of Ballyduff so unsure if she means her late husband Samuel Giffen McIlwaine or another person. I think she does mean her late husband as she mentions Ballyduff.  This portion of the insurance Margaret wills to her sister Sarah Elizabeth.  Now I have to figure out who Margaret Boyd, Elizabeth Boyd, Richard Dawson Boyd, and Mary Jane Boyd are the children of. Maybe it is Thomas, but Margaret is not born in 1400. Also to find out the relationship of Thomas and Hugh Smyth to Sarah Elizabeth Smyth, wife of William Smyth.
Also wondering if William F. Giffen's sister Agnes remarried to a Kennedy after her marriage to James McIlwaine, as William F. Giffen's will mentions Agnes Kennedy senior as well as William Finlay Kennedy.
Thank you very much.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 12 04:50 GMT (UK) »
One slight error. William Smyth mentioned in William Finlay Giffen's will was married to Eliza Rodgers. It was William Smyth's son Hugh that was married to Sarah Elizabeth Boyd who was born Jan 1862.
Peggy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 12 11:18 GMT (UK) »
so I went to Proni to look at Samuel's will and it may be the right one but there are no images.
If you read the excerpt again you will see that it says letters of administration which means there was no Will.

Glen View Villas Larne is in Larne.
1910- M'Roberts, Matthew, Glynn View villa
http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Larne2.php
possibly this address in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/Curran_Street/195932

1901- Cousins, J. F., Glynn View Villas
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT1901L1.htm
1901- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/Glynn_View_Villas/995934

You can search other directories on PRONI's website.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 12 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey. So Samuel moved between 1876 and 1884.
The article from Lennox Wylie is particularly informative.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just found this which helps me regarding Ballyduff.
Peggy

Carnmoney as a name has come to represent Carnmoney Village (previously known as Ballyduff).

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Peggy,

"Carnmoney" is ambiguous, so can be confusing.

----
It is the name of the large civil parish, consisting of 18 townlands.

Three of these townlands are named "Carnmoney", "Carnmoney Glebe" and "Carnmoney Bog".

It is also the name of the village, which sat mainly within the townland of Ballyduff!

----
References:

http://thecore.com/seanruad/
[Enter "Carnmoney" in to the Civil Parish field within the first box.
This will return a list of all the townlands.]

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch
[Enter "Carnmoney" in to the Place Name field, and select County Antrim.
 Open the big map viewer for the "village".
 Zoom in a few times (double left click).
 Move map around using the "sticky hand" tool.
 Zoom out as necessary (double right click).
 Use the slider to switch between the modern day map and the 1840s OSI map.]

Civil Parish name is in big capital letters.
Townland names are in small capital letters.
Village names are in mixed case smaller font.

Addresses used in correspondence or legal documents are usually the townland names.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
That is a great tool, Capt. Jock. I much enjoyed seeing the lay of the land. I couldn't find Dunanney even though it was listed on the index. Must be blind. Sarah Elizabeth Smyth nee Boyd lived there in 1884 when her sister Margaret died in Jordanstown.
Peggy