Author Topic: Turners of Wexford  (Read 4315 times)

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turners of Wexford
« on: Friday 07 December 12 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wexford!  Can anyone help me find details of one James Joseph Turner (Jim)? He married one of my cousins Rose Marlow in 1935 and during 1927 to 1960 he was a serving Policeman (sergeant from 1951).  He appears as a 5 year old (the youngest at the time) in the 1911 census as living in 7 Grange, Big, Rosslare.  His brothers were John and Joseph and his sisters Anna, Agnes and Bridie.

Merry Christmas to all  :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Turners of Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
James Josephs parents seem to have spent time in USA as on 1901 ireland census they also had a sonJames age 6 who was born in Philadelphia USA
He sadly must have died as they then had James joseph b. c 1906.
It states in 1911 the couple are married 22 yrs, 9 children & 6 living.

There is a ship passenger record for John Turner b. c 1865  Ireland saling from Liverpool uk arriving in Philadelphia 23rd June 1884 Age 19 yrs a Labourer.

I suspect John & bridget (the parents) may have married in USA as they had James & Annie born in Philadelphia.

What information are you hoping for with James Joseph or the family in general :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Two Philadelphia births to John and Bridget Turner.

Unnamed 1 st November 1891 (Anna ?)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V1ML-5C5#

James J - 6th April 1894

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VBY7-K3M

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
*Sandra* and ballydw, thank you both very much for your information and your interest.  Ballydw, I suppose I am hoping to bump into someone researching the Turner family, which in turn might lead to more information about my cousin Rose's family.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage cert for Rose and James?

That would be the place to start the search for her family, as it would show her father's name and occupation.

These are the likely references if you need to order a cert :

Name: Rosalind Beatrice Marlow
  Registration district:   Dublin South
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year:   Apr - Jun 1935
  Volume : 2 / Page: 445

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYVR-1J9

The same references appear to a James Joseph Turner, so a likely cross-match

likely birth for James - correct district & timeframe :

Name: James Joseph Turner
  Registration district: Wexford
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1905
  Volume: 4 / Page: 647

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find details of one James Joseph Turner (Jim)? He married one of my cousins Rose Marlow in 1935 and during 1927 to 1960 he was a serving Policeman (sergeant from 1951).  He appears as a 5 year old (the youngest at the time) in the 1911 census as living in 7 Grange, Big, Rosslare.  His brothers were John and Joseph and his sisters Anna, Agnes and Bridie.

One of James Turner's sisters, Agnes, is stated in the 1901 census as being born in Wexford rather than Co Wexford and hence her Baptism is recorded in the Rowe Street church baptism register.

She was born on 5th July 1896 and it confirms that Bridget's maiden name was Parle. The place of residence is stated as Rosslare but I can't decipher what's written underneath.     
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for John Turner & Bridget Parle.
Jan-feb-march 1889. Reg district Wexford. Vol 4 Page 610 :)

Offline colleenlit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello - I think we are cousins.  Your Jim Turner is my first cousin 2x removed.  My 2x great grandfather was Garrett Turner, born in Wexford Gorey 1839. He was a fisherman living in Riverchapel/Courtown.  He and his wife had a total of 8 children, six of whom lived to adulthood.  One of his children was Edward turner my great grandfather who is buried in Riverchapel.  One of his children was John (1863-1922) married to Bridget Parle who seemed to have settled in Rosslare.  In my research I have their children as Agnes, joseph, jim, john, and seems like maybe two daughters who died young? Please see my ancestry tree, it is open to view

I have kept my research mostly on my direct line.  Garrett Turner is as far back as I have been able to reliably get on the Turner line, but I know through working with distant cousin (dna testing) Faye turner that she is close to piecing together some of the links prior to my 2x gg father Garrett. 

Here is what I can tell you about the family - Garrett was a fisherman, lived in Riverchapel his whole life.  My great grandfather Edward (your Jim Turner's uncle) was also a fisherman and in the merchant navy as a career.  Lived and died in riverchapel.  He is buried by the star of the sea church there.  Great Grandfather Edward had five children, several of whom stayed in the area and his descendants are still there today.  One of those children was my grandfather Jack who immigrated to America (philadelphia) in the mid 1920s but the story is a little fuzzy because he was in the merchant navy with his dad and when the ship arrive in Philadelphia he told his dad he was staying and that was it.  He eventually married my grandmother (another irish imigrant).  They raised their three children in Philadelphia.  My older siblings were all born in Philly.  I am the 5th of 6 children, but was born in Florida as my parents moved there in the 1960's.

I became interested in geneology several years ago, all connections had been lost to the Irish turners because my grandparents never really shared much information.  I started doing research, long story short found the grave of my great grandfather online.  Three years ago two of my sisters took a trip to ireland and went to the cemetery to pay respects.  They noticed the graves were all well tended so they left a note.  Ever since then we've been in touch and visiting my irish cousins.  If my dad were alive Breda would be his first cousin.  She was the neice of my grandfather.  She lives in London but keeps the cottage in courtown she was raised in.  Me, my sister and my teen sons visited her family there two summers ago and stayed with her. would not surprise me if she knows something about your relative.  I got to see the site where Garrett's thatched roof home used to sit, the church where they all would have been baptised, married, buried.  And we are still in touch.

Sorry if I'm going on and on.  happy to help any other way I can.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pt/RSVP.aspx?dat=NTg1OTQ3NTA7OzAwZTUyMzcwLTAwMDMtMDAwMC0wMDAwLTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDsyMDIwMDQwMTEzNDgxNzsx&mac=zI+/RejCaHWsqKOI1kZqfg==

Offline colleenlit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to comment that in the image of your family tree you will see I have 'unknown" daughter, and a couple of other Unknowns.  This is because when I was visiting my cousin Breda she pulled out a very old file folder of family tree that she tried to do way before the internet just by talking to relatives.  That's where almost all of the information I have for my more distant turner relations comes from - her oral history research.  I have not worked on a paper trail to document all this.  But i'm super excited because i think we have a match!!