Author Topic: 'COOPER marriage - ? Marcham'  (Read 3052 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
'COOPER marriage - ? Marcham'
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »
John and Elizabeth COOPER baptised four children at the Independent Chapel in Marlborough Street, Faringdon (John 1811, Charles 1814, Elizabeth 1816, and Ann – born 1818, bap 1819).  I have copies of the original entries from The Genealogist.

However, I haven’t been able to find a marriage record for John and Elizabeth on the OxFHS or BFHS Marriage Index CDs, or on Familysearch.  Any help with this (potential) brickwall gratefully received :)

Thanks in advance,
Carol

(Also posted on Oxon board.)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: COOPER marriage - ?Faringdon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 December 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Wiltshire and Gloucestershire as well?  Researching people from the Faringdon area can be a bit of a nightmare in that respect, as it's been in or adjacent to four different counties.

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 December 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sloe Gin :)

It's even better when they have such common names ::)

Gloucestershire has been checked on my Oxfordshire thread, but nothing conclusive came up - see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=627478

The more I look, the more Coopers I find, so rather than try a fourth county I'm putting this line to one side for the moment.  Thank you so much for your help; this is my 'brickiest' brickwall so far!

Regards,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CCRAIL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this helps or not.  You may already have looked at this site but on checking the online record for the cemetary there are a few Coopers and some with the correct forename, but a bit too early.  However some of the records do state 'son of' etc.

http://www.faringdon.org/hysoc.htm
May just give a clue.
ccrail
Coe: Middlesex, Surrey, Norfolk, Suffolk – Roll: Suffolk – Hawes: (Hawse)  Norfolk – Burson: Berkshire – Dodson: Surrey – Groves: Sussex, Surrey – Wilson: West Riding – Coleman: Somerset, Gloucestershire – Stanbury: Somerset – Hutton: Oxon – Stott: (Statt).  Devon – Martin: Bucks, Surrey – Henden: Surrey - Starling, Whitaker, Symonds, Flack: Cambs.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much ccrail, I was hoping there would be a site like that but couldn't find it by myself ::)

I know there was at least one other COOPER couple (Benjamin and Elizabeth) baptising children at the Marlborough Street Chapel, so I'll have to be very careful!

All the best :)
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: COOPER marriage (?Faringdon) UPDATE Marcham
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
John and Elizabeth COOPER baptised four children at the Independent Chapel in Marlborough Street, Faringdon (John 1811, Charles 1814, Elizabeth 1816, and Ann – born 1818, bap 1819).  I have copies of the original entries from The Genealogist.

However, I haven’t been able to find a marriage record for John and Elizabeth on the OFHS or BFHS Marriage Index CDs, or on Familysearch.  Any help with this (potential) brickwall gratefully received :)

Since the last post, I've tried the OFHS CD for Faringdon and the Berks transcripts on FindMyPast.  Still nothing :(

But J & E (my 4x ggrandparents) have turned up in the census where he says he was born in Faringdon, and she says she was born in Marcham.  Having ruled out Faringdon as the place of marriage, I'd like to try Marcham - but their PR transcripts stop at 1803 ::)

Is anyone willing to check the Marcham PRs for me at Berks RO in Reading please?  I still have no idea of Elizabeth's surname.

Thanks in advance,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 15:25 BST (UK) »
By the way, perhaps I should have mentioned that although I lived in Reading years ago I'm in Australia now so not in a position to go to Reading myself. :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 19 15:44 BST (UK) »

Ancestry : England, Select Births and Christenings - lists an earlier child

Name: Mary COOPER

Birth Date: 10 November 1808

Baptism Date: 19 December 1808

Baptism Place: Faringdon, Berkshire

Father: Jno COOPER

Mother: Elizabeth

FHL Film Number: 88260

and possibly another:

Name: Ketura Angle COOPER

Baptism date: 8 June 1806

Baptism Place: Bramshaw, Wiltshire, England

Father: Jno COOPER

Mother : Elizabeth

FHL Film Number: 950253

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 19 16:34 BST (UK) »

In a previous reply from

John COOPER married Elizabeth MONK - at Oxford St Ebbe - 7 September 1805

and also mentioned Benjamin COOPER and Elizabeth's children

---

Benjamin COOPER married Elizabeth HAWKINS - 20 November 1808 at Oxford, St Ebbe

witnesses; James COOPER and Marey COOPER and Hannah HAWKINS

and then at St Aldate in the City of Oxford

Benjamin COOPER of this Parish a Widower, married Elizabeth COOPER of this Parish, Widow

by banns - 13 April 1815 - witnesses: James HEARNA and Sarah   ????

and