Author Topic: Gunn family  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Mairigunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gunn family
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I am building my father [George Gunn]'s family tree.
George Gunn
b, 1917 Methill Fife

His father Alexander Gunn [had several siblings George, Thomas b. 1896, William b, 1898, Robert b.1900, Elizabeth b. 1891 and poss Janet
b. 1885 Edinburgh
m Jean Peden Herd b.Wemyss 1890 [or 92]

His father George Gunn
b. 1857 Canongate Edinburgh
m Elizabeth Burt b. 1865 Canongate

His father Alexander Gunn
b. 1812 [?] Dalkeith
m Christina Campbell b. 1817 St Cuthberts Midlothian

His father George Gunn m Elizabeth [Elesebeth] Gunn b. 1788 Latheron

I need more information about George and Elizabeth Gunn.
Someone thought that Alexander [b. 1812]'s parents were Robert Gunn m Ann Campbell, so that is something else I need to look at.

I wonder what was going on around 1800 in Latheron and wonder how/why they went to Dalkeith.
And why they spent so many years in St Cuthberts Poorhouse.

Hope someone has some clues for me or a handy hint or two...
Thanks
Mairi Gunn

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gunn family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 12 01:23 GMT (UK) »
You could look for the St Cuthbert Poorhouse records which should give you info on the family

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 12 09:40 GMT (UK) »
You could look for the St Cuthbert Poorhouse records which should give you info on the family

.... but I fear you  might have trouble finding them. If I recall correctly, the surviving St Cuthbert's parochial board records are very incomplete. Generally the minute books survive, but not the registers of applications or the registers of poor, which are the ones that contain all the interesting personal details.

To see what is available go to http://www.scan.org.uk/catalogue/ and search for St Cuthbert's Parochial Board. The surviving records are held by Edinburgh City Archives http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/cityarchives

As for what was going on in Latheron around 1800, you could do worse than take a look at the Statistical Account written in the 1790s. Go to http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/ - click on 'Browse scanned pages' to view it free of charge.

As George Gunn was born in 1857, after the start of civil registration in 1855, there should be a death certificate for his father Alexander, assuming that he died in Scotland. This should tell you the names of Alexander's parents. You can get this from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

I can see why someone might have assumed that Alexander was the son of Robert Gunn and Ann Campbell. Imagine that this person has found a census record, perhaps the 1881 saying that he was aged 69, or the 1851 saying he was 39, and that he was born in Dalkeith. If that someone then looked for a baptism of an Alexander Gunn, in 1812 in Dalkeith, the nearest one to come up in the search is the son of Robert G and Ann Campbell, born in Edinburgh in 1811. They might then have assumed that because this one is the only one in the index, he must be the right one. This is very common, but unfortunately it is never safe to assume. It has been estimated that something like a quarter of all baptisms were never recorded.

There are two children of George Gunn and Elizabeth/Betty Gunn in the index at FamilySearch: Kathrine, baptised 1810 in Corstorphine, and Elizabeth, baptised 1820 in Edinburgh. You can view their baptism records at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Alexander died 12/11/1887 St. Giles, Midlothian - alas, he died in the Royal Infirmary and the the informant was from hospital and clearly had no knowledge of who A's parents were as this section is left blank.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 16:09 GMT (UK) »
In that case you need to try to find a death certificate for the other Alexander Gunn so that he can be eliminated.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mairigunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have some homework to do...
I know that sometimes there is just a brick wall but I will continue this search following your kind instruction.
Thanks!
Mairi

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
1861 census has this entry

Christina Campbell 44 Head born St Cuthberts occ shirt maker
Jessie Campbell 42 sister born St Cuthberts occ shirt maker
Elizabeth Campbell 39 sister born St Cuthberts occ shirt maker
Alexander Gunn 48 Lodger born Dalkeith occ Tailor
George Gunn 4 Lodger born Canongate

Address 5 Coopers Entry, Canongate

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
1871 shows Alexander as Christina's brother-in-law and George her nephew

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Also by 1871 Christina is shown as Christina C. Gunn and not Campbell although odd that Alexander is shown as brother in law.

However, in 1891 she is living with George Gunn and shown as his mother (as indeed she is shown on his birth certificate) and it was he who notified her death and states she was widow of Alexander Gunn, tailor.

It looks like there wasn't an actual marriage between Alexander Gunn and Christina Campbell - she was unmarried and still a Campbell in 1851 and 1861, however:

1851 Census - 85 Grass Market, Edinburgh

Elesebeth Gunn    widow    63                  b. Latheron, Caithness
Alexr. Gunn         son     marr.   37    Tailor Journeyman     b. Dalkeith
John Orr    grandson   8                           b. Edinburgh
Robert Murry  grandson   2                           ditto

(Spellings are as transcribed)

So in 1851 Alexander Gunn was already married although to whom is not known-  Christina Campbell was unmarried as she still was in 1861 although as already mentioned, Alexander and George Gunn are living with her as lodgers!!

So, the 1851 census shows that Alexander's mother was an Elizabeth Gunn which does indeed prove that the Alexander Gunn born Dalkeith to a Robert and Ann is not the right person.   

We just seem able to prove who he wasn't rather than who he was.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk