Author Topic: "Book of the Bedwyns"  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
"Book of the Bedwyns"
« on: Monday 10 December 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I have only lately come across reference to this book and the only copies available 2nd hand are out of reach of my pocket at present.  If you have a copy of "The Book of The Bedwyns" I should love to know whether it makes any reference to the brickmaking Hawkins family at all?  That way I can decide whether to save up!

Thanks!

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford, Lymington, Calne): Moore (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley, Salisbury): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn, Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (mid-Wales, Salop): Yaldwyn

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
Re: "Book of the Bedwyns"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
We have a copy here in Swindon Central Library available to borrow.

There are 9 entries in the index to "Hawkins".

I have looked at a few of these and it mentions Messrs Charles Hawkins and son in the 1920s, William and Robert Hawkins at Merle Down, sisters Sarah and Ellen Hawkins and others.
Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha - that tells me what I wanted to know - thank you.  Robert Hawkins of Merle Down and family are in my tree.  I'll see if I can request the book on interlibrary loan.
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford, Lymington, Calne): Moore (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley, Salisbury): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn, Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (mid-Wales, Salop): Yaldwyn

Offline pensive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Are you refering to the book Gt Bedwyn families in the 19C compiled by Rev John Dryden Hodgson?
I have a copy and can copy out info about Hawkins family for you

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Pensive; I have that one and very useful it is, too! 

"The Book of the Bedwyns: A Rich History" (published Halsgrove Community History, author Bedwyn History Society) is the one about which I am curious.  I am hoping that inter-library loan will produce a copy in due course as it is out of print and rather pricey second-hand.

Rachel