Author Topic: Hugh Williams, miller, Llanddona  (Read 7144 times)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hugh Williams, miller, Llanddona
« on: Tuesday 11 December 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace Hugh Williams. According to the census he was born about 1805 in Llanddona. He married his first wife, Margaret Hughes, about 1828 and  they had the following children:
John: b 1829 Brynsiencyn, Llanidan Parish,  Anglesey, Wales,
Thomas b 1832 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales,
Eleanor b 1835 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales,
Anne b 1836 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales,
Jane b 1840 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales,
William b 1842 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales,
Mary b 1845 Brynsiencyn, Anglesey, Wales.
Hugh's occupation is recorded as a Miller on all the census. His family lived in Brynsiencyn from about the birth of his oldest child in 1829 until they moved back to Llanddona parish around 1849. His first wife Margaret dies about 1847 and he re-marries an Elizabeth and has the following children with her:
Cathrine b 1849 Llanddona, Anglesey, Wales.
Mary b 1850
Hugh b 1852
Henry b 1854
Elizabeth. b 1856.

I have not been able to find any marriage or birth records for the Hugh or his wife Margaret. I would appreciate any suggestions about where to look as I haven't previously done any family history in Wales.

cheers Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Williams, miller, Llanddona
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
A copy of his marriage cert to Elizabeth would give his fathers name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Grooms Last Name:Williams

Grooms First Name:Hugh

Grooms Fathers First Name:

Grooms Fathers Last Name:

Grooms Parish:Llaniestyn

Grooms Age:

Brides Last Name:Hughes

Brides First Name:Margaret

Brides Fathers First Name:

Brides Fathers Last Name:

Brides Parish:Llaniestyn

Brides Age:

County:Anglesey

Place / Parish:Llangefni

Marriage Year:1827

Marriage Month:Nov

Marriage Day:2
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

I've found the following:-

Hugh Williams, widower, labourer, son of William Williams (miller) married Elizabeth Jones, spinster daughter of John Rowlands (labourer) at Llanddona Church on 24th May, 1847.

Their children were born:-
Henry, son of Hugh Williams/Elizabeth Jones - 27th July 1853, Llanddona
Catherine, dau of Hugh Williams/Elizabeth Jones - 24th March 1848, Llanddona
Hugh, son of Hugh Williams/Elizabeth Jones - 17th October 1851, Llanddona
Margaret, dau of Hugh Williams/Elizabeth Jones - 13th February 1850, Llanddona
Elizabeth, dau of Hugh Williams/Elizabeth Rowland - 17th October 1855, Llanddona

(Elizabeth takes the surname Jones from her father's first name, John, under the old Welsh patronymic system - a bit of a complication if you are new to Welsh genealogy!)

Also, I've found the birth for two of the children of Hugh Williams and Margaret Hughes:-
Mary, dau of Hugh Williams/Margaret Hughes - 11th May 1844, Llanidan
William, son of Hugh Williams/Margaret Hughes - 7th May 1842, Llanidan
(Llanidan is the correct parish for Brynsiencyn)

Margaret Williams' death occurred on 14 Aug 1846 (age 40) at Brynsiencyn, Llanidan. She is described as the wife of Hugh Williams (miller).

Copies of these BMD registrations will be available from the Anglesey Registry Office - I can supply references if you wish to order any.

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone! How exciting, I have been putting off trying to trace Hugh as I was dreading trying to untangle the patronymic system. You have been such a help. I didn't think I would get so much info.

If you wouldn't mind I would like the reference numbers so I can order the copies from the Registry Office.

cheers Janine ;D ;D ;D
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 December 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have been unable to find a likely birth for Hugh Williams, born about 1806. All the census' records state his birth place as Llanddona. His marriage record says his father was William Williams, miller but so far I haven't found any matches. I have been given some info that the family may be descended from Owen ap Owain who changed his name to William Williams. If this is true do I search under the name of  Owain? When searching do you ignore the "ap" ?? Does any one have any  helpful tips  about searching the IGI taking account of Welsh patronymics. For example Hugh's wife, Elizabeth Jones born 1815, Bodedern. Do I search for her birth under Jones or under her fathers last name of Rowlands? My head is starting to ache!

cheers Janine

Offline Calluna Collie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 February 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been trying to trace my great great grandfather Robert Williams born in about 1805 in Bangor. I think his parents were William Williams and Catherine Roberts from Llaniestyn. I have found a marriage for William and Catherine in Llanddona in 1802. (Llanddona came under the parish of Bangor) Could this be the same William?