Author Topic: question please regarding census.loveridge  (Read 17772 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
question please regarding census.loveridge
« on: Tuesday 11 December 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
hi all. sorry havent been on for a while, but ive still been beavering away trying to solve this puzzle of my family. i have had a lot of help from kaziah i dont think i could have got this far without her but we are both stuck. where i am at so far is as follows in reverse order.

lavinia loveridge (my great gran) bn 1897 suffolk dd 1987 markyate,herts.
israel loveridge (her dad, partner of the mysterious eliza loveridge) bn ampthill beds, 1869 dd 1940 st albans
alfred loveridge (his dad, partner of comfort parker) bn bedford c1852 dd c1929

now we think alfred is the son of joseph loveridge aka montague grey and elizabeth loveridge but we just cant find the proof. there are several alfred loveridges bn around the right time but he seems to be the only one on bedfordshire he seems to fit BUT there is a problem which is what is throwing us out.

we have in the 1871 census in princes risbourgh, bucks
alfred lovel/r 24 beds
comfort lovel/r 24 bucks
ambrose    4    beds
issac/israel 1 beds.
with them is nelson parker and his family and james taylor and his family.

but in cople, beds in 1871  there is an entry for
montague grey 37
elizabeth loveridge 36
alfred son 20 bn 1851 bedford.
all other kids.

so could he have been in both places, i dont mean at the same time i mean a few days later. nelson parker and his family got caught twice in the 71 census so could alfred, or is it possible a mistake was made, i should imagine the enumerator filled out the form could montague/joseph have just said the names of all there kids misunderstanding that they only wanted those present not all there family. or am i getting desperate and clutching at straws.
the only other thing is in the 1891 census comfort parker is found with some of her kids and a chap called thomas grey, now i dont know who he is but i suspect he may well be alfred, she is back with alf in 01 and 11. i have not found them in the 1881 census or alfred,israel or ambrose loveridge in the 91 so im wandering if ther eis this link with the grey surname maybe that is what connects the families.

i may possibly have asked this before, if so im sorry, im trying to find the answer to who my alfred is, im sure he is a member of the loveridge family that is descended from william and margaret loveridge but i just cant find which alf he is.
hope someone here can help. thanks so much tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: question please regarding census.loveridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
hi. can anyone help please, has anyone come across examples of romanies being entered on census reports twice. thanks tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
yes my birches were.they were enumerated one evening in one place and as they trsvelled through the night they were enumerated again the followeing day by another enumerator and the wife had gained 10 years in age!!!!it was definately the same family twice though.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 14:07 GMT (UK) »
hi cathay thanks for that i was beginning to think i was going mad, my darned loveridges are not making life easy. im now wandering if alfred was actually registered maybe even baptised as something else but known as alfred and this is perhaps why i cant find his registration. i wish i could find out more about the family of joseph loveridge/montague grey and elizabeth loveridge as i feel certain this is the right family. when i look at the names of the children of alf and comfort and indeed israel and eliza they match up with family names of the children of joe and elizabeth and there grandchildren, i know it isint proof but what else can you  do when your stuck but clutch at wild straws.  ::)
tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
where did they travel about?a lot of loveridges down here in somerset changed their name to issac?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 20:29 GMT (UK) »
they travelled mainly around the bucks,beds, suffolk and essex area. my line settled eventually in beds and herts but i have found some went to essex. i found an article from 1964 which has 2 photos in of my great gran's brother israel loveridge in. they were in a magazine in it he says he mostly travelled around brentwood, ive now discovered 3 yrs earlier his mum eliza died in stanway so im now thinking that line settled in essex. probably still some loveridges there now in essex who could be distantly related to me.
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
hi, unsure if we have corseponded before or not but loveridges in essex area's (also descended from an eliza/elizabeth loveridge) could be alias "stone" as an eliza loveridge had children by 2 brothers ike stone & stephen stone, may be of help or not?? she registered the children in her maiden name but some as they got older used or took the fathers name. good luck and let me know if i can be of help :)
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 January 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
hi. as far as i know my eliza loveridge only had kids with israel loveridge my great great grandad, they were joseph (1890) tigher/zigher (1892) charlie (1894) lavinia (my g.gran 1897) elizias(1899)rosina(1902)fanny(1904)israil(the one i have photos for in 1964 in essex bn 1905/6) bethany (1909) and matilda(1910).
israel's parents were alfred loveridge (who im now thinking was registered at birth as something else as i cant find him) and comfort parker bn 1848, there kids were ambrose (1867) israel (1869) elizah(1872)lementina(1878) elijah(1882) william(1884) montague(1886) spares(oct 1888-dec1888) patience (1888) c/amelia (1890) cinderella (1893).
dont think we have corresponded on these, although we might have done when i started back at the beginning of 2012 and didnt know all i know now. which isint much.
thanks tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 13 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey...
In the newspaper article on the death of baby Spaces (Spares) Loveridge on 16 Nov 1888. It names his parents as Comfort Parker who lived with Thomas Gray as his wife.  The body of the child being their son...  I think Thomas Gray and Alfred are the same people.... 
I'll look again in the morning...
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.