Author Topic: Unusual Baby Names of 2012  (Read 6789 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Baby Names of 2012
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
As a teacher for very many years, I often used to wonder which came first the silly child or the silly name- quite frequently a child with an unusual/embarrasssing name tended to behave in a way which, if not really bad, was certainly very silly.
Would the child have been daft anyway or was he/she daft as a result of having odd name?
This applied to surnames as much as to first names.

Guess it is in the genes
It is a silly person who chooses a silly name for their child. Thus the child has those silly genes and is also a silly person!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 December 12 09:18 GMT (UK) »
In case anyone missed this story, the New Zealand courts have ruled that you can't name your daughter Talula does the hula from Hawaii: see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2452593/Talula-Does-The-Hula-From-Hawaii-not-a-girls-name-New-Zealand-court-rules.html#

I remember the Hoola about that .......

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 December 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
As a teacher for very many years, I often used to wonder which came first the silly child or the silly name- quite frequently a child with an unusual/embarrasssing name tended to behave in a way which, if not really bad, was certainly very silly.
Would the child have been daft anyway or was he/she daft as a result of having odd name?

Guess it is in the genes
It is a silly person who chooses a silly name for their child. Thus the child has those silly genes and is also a silly person!

Have you been at the cooking sherry Elizabeth? LOL

;D ;D ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 December 12 10:47 GMT (UK) »

Of today's names I think the strangest I've heard was at my workplace when a woman called her very young son Kine over to look at something. I'm assuming it was spelled Kine, it may have been Kyne.

Kine is the lesser known plural of cow!

sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 December 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Could it have been Kyle?
Quite agree..some parents      don't pay attention to things like  initials  either..other kids can be very cruel.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 December 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
36 years ago when choosing a name for our first son,I liked the name Wayne,but hubby disagreed.

We would have ended up with a W C  :D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 December 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I've always thought that the Chinese had the best system - give the children numbers, and let them choose their own names when they get older.  If my own family had done that, my dad wouldn't have been named after his maternal uncle who moved to Australia without a 'by your leave', leaving him lumbered with a name which he hated.

Similarly, I was named after my mother's nephew, and I hated my name too, because it was far too posh for a working-class kid, especially when Benny Hill started making fun of the name too  ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 December 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
As a teacher for very many years, I often used to wonder which came first the silly child or the silly name- quite frequently a child with an unusual/embarrassing name tended to behave in a way which, if not really bad, was certainly very silly.

As another ex-teacher, my rule of thumb was that boys with unlikely names were usually trouble, but that this didn't apply to girls.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 December 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
somebody on rootschat had found folk (I dont know if his ancestors or not); the parents must have a classical bent because they named the kids Unus , secondus etc//
Imagine the life septuagesimus (sp) would have led at school.
I have however seen several Pharoahs in  the birth index :o
and it was not unheard of for children to be called Doctor in the belief that certain children possessed healing powers.
These were of course registered names  not baptismal names