Author Topic: Mary Preston 1789/90 Bronington/Hanmer  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Preston 1789/90 Bronington/Hanmer
« on: Saturday 15 December 12 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Still on the hunt for the Downward ancestors!  Mary Preston married William Downward on 26 August 1813 in Hanmer.  Unfortunately there are three Mary Preston's born in 1789/90 and I wonder if anyone has access to the parish records and can check her marriage in the hope it may give at least her father's name.  Thank you.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Preston 1789/90 Bronington/Hanmer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 12 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but the Marriage Register 1787-1813 did not survive the fire.See;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hanmer/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh how disappointing - thank you very much for letting me know.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 12 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Bronnington records survived the 1889 fire as it became a separate parish  in 1836 and the records must have been separated at that time. Unfortunately the 1813 marriage was before civil registration so father's name is not usually given. 

One clue is that one of the witnesses is listed as a William Preston - possibly  father or brother.  If it was her father, then she was bpted Hanmer on 29 March 1790, parents - William and Anna of Bronington. If it was her brother, then she could have been the child of George and Mary  :-\ 

Did they name any of their sons, George?

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that.  Mary and William named their first son George (there were eleven children that I know of with two girls being older than George).  However as William's father was also George he could have been named after either grandparent.  Two of the other children were also named William and Ann.    Shall have to keep scratching my head over this one for a little while :-\