Author Topic: DERBYSHIRE SPARHAMS  (Read 4308 times)

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ada Fellingham my Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
DERBYSHIRE SPARHAMS
« on: Sunday 16 December 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I am of the Suffolk/Norfolk Sparham and I am sure there must be a link between us.  Would love to hear from anyone who may know of it. 

Thank you so much

:D
Sparham - Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex/USA/Canada
Fellingham - Suffolk/Essex
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Widder - Norfolk, Suffolk, anywhere
Fison - anywhere

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DERBYSHIRE SPARHAMS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

If you would like to post some names and dates of your ancestors it would help

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 12 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzard

Thank you for your reply.  Here goes

4x Gt Grandfather b 1765 in Sapiston Suffolk m Dille Marata Jeffes

3x Gt Grandfather - James Sparham b. 1792 in Blakeney Norfolk.  I attach a photo of his property which is now known as "The Blakeney Hotel" in Blakeney, must visit some day.   He married Julia Widder Mills

2x Gt Grandfather Frederick William Sparham b. 1828 in Blakeney Norfolk - he married Eliza Manning Jefferies

1 x Gt Grandfather  Arthur Sparham b. 1861 in Hackney, he married Ada Fellingham

Grandfather Owen "Joe" Sparham born 1902 in Southend on Sea, married Ada Victoria Millicent Blandon of whom I can find nothing.

Thank you,
Sparham

Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Fison - anywhere

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
where did you have the name Ada Victoria Millicent Blandon from???

there is a marriage reg FreeBMD
Owen Sparham
Ada M Dorice (or Doric)
Mar qtr 1928
Rochford
4a 868

Death regs
Owen Sparham
Mar qtr 1969 age 66
Southend on Sea
4a 1121

Death reg
Ada M Spareham (transcribed as this)
Sept qtr 1965
age 68
Southend on Sea
4a 770

so a birth year of c. 1897

if this is the correct Ada??

Maybe she was married previously??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzard

1 x Gt Grandfather  Arthur Sparham b. 1861 in Hackney, he married Ada Fellingham

Thank you,
Sparham

You do know that Ada Fellingham was not the mother of Arthur William's children???

It seems Arthur William Sparham (your 1x Gt Grandfather) Married Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham 
Marriage reg Sept qtr 1882 gravesend 2a 743
They had the following children :
Mona F E b. Onchan Isle of man (age 7 in 1891
Andre C b. Stoke Newington Middlesex
John J b. Southend age 3 in 1891
Arthur D b. Southend age 1 in 1891
Bessie May b. Southend age 7 in 1891
Nelson b Southend age 7 in 1891
Nora A b. Southend age 3 in 1891
Winnie b. Southend age 6mth in 1891
Owen b. Southend
Jeffes b. Southend

In 1891 and 1901 Ada Fellingham was a srvant to the family
In 1891 Frederick Fellingham age 62 living on own means -described as "Grandfather" was also living with them

I am working backwards trying to find a connection with Derbys

Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham who married Arthur William Sparham (your 1x Gt Grandfather) was born in Staffordshire the daughter of John Jeffes Sparham and Sarah Colditch

Do you already have this information -or woould you like full census - I also have probate for several of family - and it gives names of nephews etc

May well be that Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham and Arthur William Sparham were related in some way?

Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham died 8 Feb 1910 and Arthur William married Ada Fellingham shortly afterwards

Suz

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz   thank you so much for getting back to me with all the information.   However from Arthur Sparham down, these were the children of Ada and Arthur :

Elizabeth his first wife and first cousin had money and owned a fleet of cabs and horses.  Arthur worked as an Auctioneers Porter - he loved horses and rode 4 abreast along Southend Seafront.

They employed a servant, Ada Fellingham to look after the children.  Arthur and Ada fell in love.  When my Gt Uncle Arthur was born, Elizabeth asked Ada if she would pass him off as a soldier's child.   Ada did not do this.

Elizabeth died in 1910 of a double hiatus hernia and Arthur had Ada up the aisle within weeks of the death of Elizabeth.

Ada Millicent Victoria Blandon was my much beloved grandmother.   I can find no reference to her anywhere in 7 years of research.   I cannot find Mr Dorice anywhere - it is like she did not exist.   Family lore has it that her parents worked for Lord and Lady Blandford and he was Head Groom.   I have contacted Blenheim Palace but unfortunately they never kept names of servants only occupation.  My Grandmother was put in a convent when her parents died.   We think she was born in Sussex, I have tried all the local convents, to no avail.  She spoke with a cut glass accent (not passed down to me I may add).   I loved her very much but it is as if she never existed.  Perhaps she supplied a false name who knows.

Thank you so much for your help.   Any info on the Sparhams Probate would be of great help Suz.

Sparham
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Fison - anywhere

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
will post further details later -am off hospital visiting at the moment -to see  my 92 year old Aunt who is mentally brighter than any of us

Suz

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I have been studying the Derbyshire Sparhams for years..for a Sparham friend of mine...............there's not much I don't know about them......

I have trawled through all the census records for Sparhams of Norfolk............none of them appear to have any link at all Derbysire.

For your information......here are some of the places that the Norfolk sparhams DID get to:
Doncaster,Brewood Staffs, Barlestone Leicestershire..Leeds and Wakefield Yorkshire, Birkenhead, Manchester. Brighton Southend Basingstoke, Hackney and Tottenham...among others......this is between 1841 and 1911..

There is just one vague co-incidence, one mention of a Derbyshire Sparham either in or from Wakefield......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Probate of John Jeffes Sparham - father of Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham who married Arthur William Sparham

Probate Calendar
John Jeffes Sparham 7 Jun. The Will of John Jeffes Sparham late of 1 St Pauls Villas Rock Ferry in the county of Chester. Gentleman who died 10 May 1882 at 1 St Pauls Villas was proved at Chester by Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham of 1 St Pauls Villas Spinster the daughter & Harry Hadden Wickes Sparham of 2 Temple Gardens in the City of London, Barrister at Law the nephew & George Walton Walker of Wolverhampton in the County of Stafford Solicitor the Executors.
Effects £4073 9s.

Elizabeth Eleanor Sparham of 5 St Leonards Rd Southend on Sea (wife of Arthur William Sparham) died 8 Feb 1910 at Victoria Hospital Southend. Administration (with Will) London 4 Mar to Arthur William Sparham auctioneer's sale foreman.
Effects £778 7s 8d
Arthur William Sparham of 14 Hastings Rd Southend on Sea died 15 Dec 1933 at Southend Municipal Hospital Rochford Essex. Probate London 17 Jan to Ada Sparham widow
Effects £810

This is Owen's sister?
Bessie May Sparham of 2 Council Houses Margarelly Essex died 7 Dec 1945 at St John's Hospital Wood St Chelmsford. Probate London 13 Apr to Barclays Bank Ltd  & Percy John Ward solicitor
Effects £2060 16s

Suz