Author Topic: St. Mary's Wynd  (Read 8831 times)

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Mary's Wynd
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 January 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Monument in photo is Star Pyramid. History is outlined here

http://www.oldtowncemetery.co.uk/history/pyramid.html

Sorry to disagree with theory 74 St Mary's Wynd was pub. Cook and Wylies street directory of 1903 has 73-75 as spirit merchant but 74 (presumably on other side of street) appears to be residential.

Regards

Sandy

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 January 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
For contact re burials see

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/services/education-and-learning/local-history-and-heritage/family-history-and-genealogy

Unfortunately doesn't look like anything's on-line but a number of Stirling cemeteries on memento mori site

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 January 13 10:04 GMT (UK) »
davidpaul, thanks for the photos.

SandyMcJ and Skoosh, thanks for clearing that up. I was going to walk up to it but after I had taken this photo a large group plodded up the track so I went round the churchyard for a while and then realising time was getting on, headed for Bannockburn. I had hoped to take in The Falkirk Wheel too but met up with Mosstrooper a few days later and he very kindly drove me there.

Mosstrooper if you're reading, I hope you are healed and I would advice you to give up the motorcycle stuntriding  ;D

Skoosh, have you had any good fish suppers doon Lithgae way lately  ;)
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 January 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoras, visiting the Far East is always a delight, must have a trip to Lithgae soon, can recommend "The Croon".
 Came across a wee reference to the village of Allandale between Cumbernauld & Bonnybridge. It was named for an Allan Stein, son of one of the brick dynasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allandale_Falkirk

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 January 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I'm related to the brickie Stein's Skoosh. I'll give my mother a tinkle in Killie and find out. They certainly had a large works near where I was born.

Bests to you also.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 January 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to disagree with theory 74 St Mary's Wynd was pub. Cook and Wylies street directory of 1903 has 73-75 as spirit merchant but 74 (presumably on other side of street) appears to be residential.
Sandy, I'm not convinced that that the death certificate does indeed say 74. What I'm saying is, that if its 73 or 75 then its the pub. If its 74 then it's a residential address. I've looked at the 1882 and the 1909 directories and 74 would appear to be a tenement block reached through a close. If its another number say 11 then that would be a shop. The implication I'm making is that he if he lived at 32 Baker Street, then he just might have died either visiting a shop, a pub or a friends in St. Mary's Wynd. The Sentinal or other paper might just have something regarding that.

David paul,
did you scan those pics from Drydale's book? If you did, I'm looking for a good scan of Gibb's Inn at 33 St. Mary's Wynd, and Andrew Kerr's Inn at Port Street that are in the book, if you could.
regards,
Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 January 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
sorry stewart these photo where emailed to me from family in stirling but could ask them if they have these photo s if you like stewart regards david.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 January 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
dont know if these are any good stewart.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 January 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
another