Author Topic: James Mc Cabe - a long shot  (Read 3954 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Mc Cabe - a long shot
« on: Monday 17 December 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find the birth place of my g-grandfather James McCabe born circa 1854.His parents were Patrick McCabe, spirit merchant, and Mary (maiden surname Hay).Unfortunately the scottish records do not say where in Ireland James or Patrick were born.
James lived in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland until his death in 1920.He married Annie Hastie/Cochrane in 1915.In the Falkirk 1891 Census he is living with a Jane McNicol.
I'm trying Cavan as it is one of the places named where McCabe is a common surname.I'll also try Monaghan and Dublin.
Would be grateful for any help

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McCabe and Hay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 12 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the birth place of my g-grandfather James McCabe born circa 1854 to Patrick McCabe and Mary (maiden surname Hay)
James moved to Scotland (Falkirk, Stirlingshire) I don't know when but he's there on the 1891 Census as an iron moulder.He lived in Falkirk until his death in 1920.
His father Patrick, also born somewhere in Ireland, was a spirit merchant.
I'm trying Monaghan, Cavan, and Dublin as seemingly the McCabe surname is common in those places.
Can anyone help please ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Mc Cabe - a long shot
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate posts on different boards cause needless confusion and extra work for those trying to help so I've merged your 2 posts and moved the topic to the Ireland-General board since you really haven't any location in Ireland to start with.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Mc Cabe - a long shot
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that, thank you for your advice