Author Topic: who is M. BOLAND Esq., railway contractor of Tasmania?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline louisa b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who is M. BOLAND Esq., railway contractor of Tasmania?
« on: Tuesday 18 December 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to work out the relationship between Martin Daniel O"LOUGHLIN, (son of Martin O'LOUGHLIN and Julia nee HILL), and M. BOLAND
Martin was born in 1867 in Tasmania and died in 1893 in Broken Hill.
I have just come across a death notice in the "Barrier Miner" 24 April 1893 which describes his death in hospital, and states he is 'the second son of Martin O'Loughlin of Karoola, and nephew of M.BOLAND Esq, railway contractor, Tasmania.
It also asks Tasmania, Victorian, Sydney, New Zealand and American papers to copy!!

I went to the library this evening to do some research into this, only to find it closed..... :'(

Anyway, it could be that M.Boland is Martin Boland who died in Hobart in March 1902 aged 70'a native of Ireland who came to Launceston in 1840', further described as a 'well known contractor...of Boland and Scott...built Scotsdale line...Emu Bay bridge...Victoria dock. Probate was granted to Frank Boland, David Boland, and William Wallace O'Brien
This Martin BOLAND may also have married an ex-convict Catherine GUTHRIE in 1853. She died in Dec 1895 "Kate, beloved wife of Martin'
Both buried Cornelian Bay.
Cetainly the names of the children seem to fit in with those on the Colonial family links (would have checked for accuracy if the library had been open....)

I am trying to ascertain if he is a maternal or paternal uncle of Martin (junior) or if he is an uncle at all as we would know it.

cheers
Lou :)
KERKHAM Norfolk; ARNOLD Dorset; HILL Herts; FISHER
CULLEN Notts; PIKE Wilts; HILL Co Clare; TONGS Hants; WOODS Cambs; ROLLINGS Cambs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: who is M. BOLAND Esq., railway contractor of Tasmania?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lou,

The MacPhail 1867-1868
LAINCESTON (Alphabetical)
Boland, Martin., Cimitiere St.
Boland, David., Esplanade.

The Midleton & Maning Tasmanian Directory 1887.
LAINCESTON
CIMITIERE STREET (North Side)
Boland, Martin., railway contractor.

The Wise 1895-1895 Tasmanian PO Directory.
Alphabetical
Boland, Martin., 7 Napoleon St, Battery Point, Hobart.

Regards
Gerry

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline louisa b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
thanks Gerry
I think I'm going to have to try to go back another generation to see if there is any relationship between the Bolands and either the HILL family or O'LOUGHLIN family (completely stuck with the HILL family anyway, Irish records being somewhat difficult)

the other odd (to me anyway) thing was that both Martin jnr. and his older brother John have the middle name Daniel - I don't think I've come across that before (although have seen maiden names repeated)

KERKHAM Norfolk; ARNOLD Dorset; HILL Herts; FISHER
CULLEN Notts; PIKE Wilts; HILL Co Clare; TONGS Hants; WOODS Cambs; ROLLINGS Cambs

Offline Lilylala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There is a will of Martin Boland, d1902 here;

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=9

via Tasmania Linc

The document is difficult to read,  I do hope it helps your research.

cheers
Eileen
 :)

Bronstein - Ukraine & Paris
Luscombe  - Devon & Australia
Horner -  Potterspury NorthHamptonshire & Warwickshire
Moss  -    Cumberland & Australia
Hadley -  Staffordshire
Higgins  - Somerset
Barras  -Durham
Piercy - Oxfordshire
Bauer -  Germany
Percy - Sussex
Felton - Northumberland
Parris -Dorset
Stier - Australia & Germany
La Zouche -UK
Holland -Lancashire
Segrave
Longaspee
Stanley - Lancashire
Goushill -Nottingshire
Mandeville - Essex
Fitz Allen - Sussex
Salmesbury - Lancashire
Stutteridge

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Im not sure if this is going to help or just confuse things more but i found this

Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899)(about)  
Thursday 18 July 1867

Fronting'upon Piper's River adjoining land purchased from the crown by Francis Boland and M. O'Loughlin  respectively.

Offline Miguel Hugo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 June 19 04:02 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have solved the mystery but my mother is a Boland (Father Frank Boland) and could answer any questions you may have, she's the guru, I came across this post as i am interested in my family (Boland) involvement in building the Launceston to Scottsdale railway. 

Offline JW7248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 June 19 04:36 BST (UK) »
I'm very interested in this thread. I came across one of Louisa's posts yesterday re Welsh and O'Loughlin, sent a response.
I'm descended from Bridget Boland who married Thomas Welsh. Bridget arrived in Tasmania in 1856 with family members Michael, Martin (all aged in their 20s) and Catherine, 16.  A David Boland was the applicant for their passage on the "Alice Walton". There were other Bolands and Welsh already in the Lilydale area.
The family were connected with the O'Loughlins, I've had difficulty confirming the lines so far.
I have a book on the history of NE Tasmania where the Bolands' involvement with the Scottsdale railway is detailed.
Miguel - I think it was Frank Boland who I contacted many years ago, and he gave me a hand written list of his ancestors.  I have added those people in my tree on MyHeritage, am happy to share what I know.
Regards.

Offline reciprocal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 19 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I have a lot of information on the  line  you are researching  but  it is difficult to say who your  Bridget Boland's parents are due to the lack of Irish information.   There is another Bridget Boland who is the niece of David and she married  Patrick Collins.  David Boland arranged for her passage and she lived with his family  when she came out in 1863.  I have a tree on Ancestry

Offline JW7248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks reciprocal.
I haven't done much research on the Boland side of my family for nearly 20 years. Back then it was a collection of hand written family trees from other descendants. I need to verify a lot of the detail, with all the digitised records now available.
I've seen the Bridget Collins family; most families in the Lilydale, Karoola, Turner's Marsh areas in the 1800s seemed to be connected via marriages. I've certainly found that with the Welsh side, some of whom ended up living in Invermay, as with some of the Bolands.
I'm fairly confident my ancestor Bridget Welsh nee Boland was a daughter of David Boland and Jane Daly, based on baptism references from Kilmaley around the 1830s. John, Martin and Joan fit as siblings baptised in that decade.
I have conflicting information on David and Jane's arrival with "some of their children" in 1842, "other adult children" following in 1856 then sponsoring other family with similar Christian names in the 1860s. All records that I'd like to clarify as time permits.